+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18

Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

I think if the Knicks was offering the 3OA/Barrett, they would not have had to trade as much as the Lakers. Also the Lakers are in the same conference.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I think if the Knicks was offering the 3OA/Barrett, they would not have had to trade as much as the Lakers. Also the Lakers are in the same conference.
    Pretty sure the offer would have had to be "close" to the lakers. And NO would have had to value 3 much more than 4. They might have, they might not have.
    I mean as it stands after flipping 4 they got in the AD trade they turned AD into
    Ball
    Ingram
    Hart
    #8 2019
    #17 2019
    #35 2019
    Cleared Solomon Hill from the books
    And 3 future 1st round picks from LA.

It's hard to see a scenario where NYY would have come close to that. They would have drained the cupboard to do so and still need to draw at least 1 more star to pair with AD.

Best case for Knicks is AD doesn't sign an extension and decides he hates playing with LeBron and enters FA next year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    So for some reason David Griffin takes a worse offer from the Knicks? And considering how much the Lakers gave up, probably significantly worse? You're offering 2 less 1st round picks, but hey you're in a different conference, so why not

I think the Laker offer was high too cause Kuzma who Griffen wanted (reportedly), was not included.

NYYF Legend

The general draft opinion was that there was a big talent gap between the top 3 picks and after. So it all depends on how Griffin valued the pick. I also think that Mitchell Robinson is the best between the Lakers and Knicks young core. (Ball is better if he could stay heathy IMO, but he couldn't)

An offer of Robinson, DSJ, Trier, 3rd pick plus a future 1st round pick could be as competitive as the Lakers one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The general draft opinion was that there was a big talent gap between the top 3 picks and after. So it all depends on how Griffin valued the pick. I also think that Mitchell Robinson is the best between the Lakers and Knicks young core. (Ball is better if he could stay heathy IMO, but he couldn't)

An offer of Robinson, DSJ, Trier, 3rd pick plus a future 1st round pick could be as competitive as the Lakers one.
    I don't think that's a near equivalent offer.

- Ingram vs Robinson (Ingram is probably more valuable on-court and has a higher ceiling, and he's apparently recovering well from his blood clot. We'll call it a wash. Swap Knox for Robinson and that's probably worse for the Pelicans)
    - Ball vs DSJ (I think Ball is the clearly more valuable asset. It's not clear DSJ is an NBA caliber starter)
    - Trier vs Hart (probably a wash)
    - 4th pick vs 3rd pick (3rd pick clearly a more valuable asset)
    - Unprotected 1st rounder from Lakers in 2021 or 2022 vs Unprotected 1st round pick from Knicks around then (wash - Knicks trading for AD makes them better as well and they'd have the massive cap space to work with. Hard to say which team is worse in 2021/2022 when Lebron is 37/38)
    - Unprotected pick swap with Lakers in 2023 vs nothing from Knicks
    - Another unprotected 1st rounder from Lakers in 2024 that NO can VOLUNTARILY move to 2025 if they think the Lakers will be worse then, this is basically like a doubly-unprotected pick, vs nothing from the Knicks

Your Knicks offer (which I think is a fair one that I would not have gone far past) is arguably 2 unprotected 1st round picks short of the Lakers offer. Those are not very close.

I think the Knicks MAYBE throw in one more Dallas pick... but I'd still take the Lakers' offer, and thats a ton to give up for the Knicks when they'd need to convince AD to stay, when everyone knows he wants LA

Thread Information