+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 431
  1. #401
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by jmartle View Post
    I don't think the Knicks should go after Kevin Durant. And I don't understand what Kawhi Leonard isn't being mentioned as somebody the Knicks can go after
    Because unless Kawhi has completely different priorities than everyone thinks, he isn't coming to the Knicks. Toronto (where he is a hero and a good bet to get back to the finals) and the Clippers (where he is from and supposedly would love to get back to) both seem to rank a lot higher. Who knows how NYC would treat a guy that takes the 2nd night of all back to backs off if the team is struggling.

    If Kawhi wants to come, I'm sure they'll welcome him in, but not clear why he would.

  2. #402
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No Anthony Davis has said he wants to got to Knicks or Lakers. That's who I was referring to in response to P42.

    If AD gets traded to Lakers, good chance he signs an extension. If he gets traded to Podunk USA or stays in NO then it's pretty much 50/50 whether he signs with NYK or LAL as a FA next season.

    So the plan P42 laid out was sign Durant, tank/develop 2019-20, keep max slot open for AD next year. I was saying that's not a bad plan.
    Yeah I agree about that, AD wants to play for the NYK or LAK, he'll play out for whoever he gets traded to but he won't sign an extension unless it's one of those two. Unfortunately I think LAK are going to make a stupid trade to get him the Knicks won't/shouldn't beat. Best case scenario I think is AD gets traded to Boston for a 1-shot Kawhi style trade and then signs to join Durant in NYC


    Quote Originally Posted by jmartle View Post
    I don't think the Knicks should go after Kevin Durant. And I don't understand what Kawhi Leonard isn't being mentioned as somebody the Knicks can go after
    You mean "mentioned" as media hype, and there is very little because nobody thinks there's any chance he'll sign here. That's not going to stop the Knicks from going hard at him and wineing and dining, they WILL talk to him. But he has a good thing going in Toronto and the only reason to leave would be to go play back home in California

  3. #403
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    I suppose they could sign him, spend another year "developing", flip some combo of DSJ/Knox/Trier/Dotson/Frank for picks or a complementary piece, and then sign AD in free agency. The only guy on the payroll for 2020/21 right now is Mitch.
    The only issue with this would be that since they would be signing AD in FA rather than trading for him and re-signing, they wouldn't be able to go over the cap to get him. Meaning this probably would not work with a 3rd FA star (Kemba or whoever is available next offseason) outside of Miami Heat-like financial gymnastics, unless they traded for that 3rd player

  4. #404
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    @wojespn
    Following Following @wojespn
    More
    Celtics and Lakers are engaged in trade talks with New Orleans on All-NBA star Anthony Davis, league sources tell me, @ZachLowe_NBA, @ramonashelburne and @WindhorstESPN. Lakers No. 4 pick has been discussed as trade chip to help Pels acquire high-level player in multi-team deals.

  5. #405
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    @ShamsCharania
    Follow Follow @ShamsCharania
    More
    Warriors All-Star Kevin Durant has underwent surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon.

    12:56 PM - 12 Jun 2019

  6. #406
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @ShamsCharania
    Follow Follow @ShamsCharania
    More
    Warriors All-Star Kevin Durant has underwent surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon.

    12:56 PM - 12 Jun 2019

    @ChrisBHaynes
    14s14 seconds ago
    More
    Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles and underwent successful surgery today in New York.

  7. #407
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @ChrisBHaynes
    14s14 seconds ago
    More
    Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles and underwent successful surgery today in New York.


  8. #408
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Lakers offer for AD is, Ball, Ingram and 4.

    Yet lots of people think the Knicks have nothing to offer.

  9. #409

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Lakers offer for AD is, Ball, Ingram and 4.

    Yet lots of people think the Knicks have nothing to offer.
    An off-the-court circus, a guy with blood clot issues in his shooting arm, and a lesser pick than the Knicks'.

  10. #410
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    An off-the-court circus, a guy with blood clot issues in his shooting arm, and a lesser pick than the Knicks'.
    Makes me wonder if Griffin is salty about not getting the Knick job. Knicks easily could offer the equivalent.

    Ingram - Knox
    Ball - DSj
    4th - 3rd (most think there's a huge drop-off after 3)

    Even from the Knicks perspective and no Durant, you should still do that deal. Maybe by some chance you lure Kawhi with another star in place.

  11. #411
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    You can all take this with a grain of salt - but I'm posting it anyway.

    Scott Perry requested a meeting with Kawhi's former rep to gain some insight on potentially signing him. They met yesterday in their practice facility. Here are some of the things I found out.

    - The Knicks are only interested in signing Kawhi or KD to max contracts. If they strike out with these two, they are going to field a tank team plus some small parts on short deals, like Bobby Portis. No Middletons or Butlers.

    - Kyrie is locked in with Brooklyn

    - They aren't interested in emptying their cupboard for AD

    - They are telling Kawhi that you don't need a huge personality to make it in NY. They pointed to Jeter and Eli. Kawhi can do really well with a sneaker deal here.

    - Porzingis' sneaker deal was tied to the market/team he is in. He got screwed when he got traded to Dallas.

  12. #412
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You can all take this with a grain of salt - but I'm posting it anyway.

    Scott Perry requested a meeting with Kawhi's former rep to gain some insight on potentially signing him. They met yesterday in their practice facility. Here are some of the things I found out.

    - The Knicks are only interested in signing Kawhi or KD to max contracts. If they strike out with these two, they are going to field a tank team plus some small parts on short deals, like Bobby Portis. No Middletons or Butlers.

    - Kyrie is locked in with Brooklyn

    - They aren't interested in emptying their cupboard for AD

    - They are telling Kawhi that you don't need a huge personality to make it in NY. They pointed to Jeter and Eli. Kawhi can do really well with a sneaker deal here.

    - Porzingis' sneaker deal was tied to the market/team he is in. He got screwed when he got traded to Dallas.
    I choose to believe that because I agree with it. I think next year is going to be another tank year (sign AD or not), but not sure what else you are going to do except put a team together that either finishes at the wrong end of the lottery or is capable of losing a first round playoff series.

  13. #413
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Lakers offer for AD is, Ball, Ingram and 4.

    Yet lots of people think the Knicks have nothing to offer.
    NOs counter was: Ball, Kouzma, #4 and a future unprotected #1. Doesn't seem like the two are close yet and doesn't look like just beating or matching Lakers first offer would be good enough.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  14. #414
    The King dabomb2045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando, FL

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    It may be better to max KD, draft Barrett, tank next year and get another high pick. Then in 2020-21 season you have KD back, Barrett with a year under his belt (and hopefully he ends up being very good), another top pick, and still cap space for another max. Or perhaps you use picks to trade for a second star.


    Sure there is some risk about KD but Dominique Wilkins is a good comparison. He tore his Achilles at 32 years old in January 1992. He was back for opening night the following October. He averaged 29.9 pts a game that year, one of his best years. He was great again in 1993-94 before then showing signs of decline at age 35.



    If KD wants to come, I still max him. Take the plunge.

  15. #415
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    It may be better to max KD, draft Barrett, tank next year and get another high pick. Then in 2020-21 season you have KD back, Barrett with a year under his belt (and hopefully he ends up being very good), another top pick, and still cap space for another max. Or perhaps you use picks to trade for a second star.


    Sure there is some risk about KD but Dominique Wilkins is a good comparison. He tore his Achilles at 32 years old in January 1992. He was back for opening night the following October. He averaged 29.9 pts a game that year, one of his best years. He was great again in 1993-94 before then showing signs of decline at age 35.



    If KD wants to come, I still max him. Take the plunge.
    That's cherry picking though -- there are other guys who came back and weren't as productive. Dominique is literally the best response of the 8 players 538 mentioned in this article:

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-free-agency/

    It's a risk, and one that may be worth taking. But (if he comes) it is going to involve another lottery year, and then a lot of uncertainty about what the following year will be like for him and the team.

  16. #416
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    That's cherry picking though -- there are other guys who came back and weren't as productive. Dominique is literally the best response of the 8 players 538 mentioned in this article:

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...d-free-agency/

    It's a risk, and one that may be worth taking. But (if he comes) it is going to involve another lottery year, and then a lot of uncertainty about what the following year will be like for him and the team.
    You have more confidence with a guy like KD coming back though, because he's not the ultra athletic type - his elite talent is in his shooting ability

  17. #417
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You have more confidence with a guy like KD coming back though, because he's not the ultra athletic type - his elite talent is in his shooting ability
    Yet, there's probably not a guy on that list who relied more on his athleticism than Wilkins, and he's the guy who had the best performance post-surgery.

    I don't buy that though. I think we underappreciate the athleticism in his guy - he isn't just a spot up shooter, and he plays great D.

  18. #418

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    NOs counter was: Ball, Kouzma, #4 and a future unprotected #1. Doesn't seem like the two are close yet and doesn't look like just beating or matching Lakers first offer would be good enough.
    I love seeing the Lakers' fans sense of entitlement on social media. "How could New Orleans not take that deal?! They are sabotaging their franchise!" Sorry guys, just because you want AD on your team doesn't mean that New Orleans is required to bend over.

  19. #419
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I don't buy that though. I think we underappreciate the athleticism in his guy - he isn't just a spot up shooter, and he plays great D.
    Yeah, KD is a way underappreciated athlete. He's absurdly quick both north-south and laterally, and has an extremely fast jump. He's not Giannis in terms of strength and pure leaping ability, but he has everything else. If that is diminished, he'll still be an All-Star, but potentially no longer a 1st-team All-NBA type.

  20. #420
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    So nobody wants to talk about the RJ Barrett pick?

    I'm optimistic that he'll improve his defense.

  21. #421
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    So nobody wants to talk about the RJ Barrett pick?

    I'm optimistic that he'll improve his defense.
    We said the same thing about Frazier and Andujar.
    Let the kids play.

  22. #422
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    So nobody wants to talk about the RJ Barrett pick?

    I'm optimistic that he'll improve his defense.
    Well, its been kind of a done deal for weeks, so the conversation's been had. In the end, the Knicks haven't had somebody this young and talented since when, forever? RJ could be Bernard King

  23. #423
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Paris

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    So nobody wants to talk about the RJ Barrett pick?

    I'm optimistic that he'll improve his defense.
    That's going to take some development on his end - hasn't been a strength to date.

    If they don't make any major moves, will interesting to see all the youngsters next year. If that is the case, I feel like they need some solid veteran types who can guide the kids.

  24. #424
    I Hate Analytics SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Funny how sometimes things work out. It's very likely Barrett is not a Knick if Durant doesn't get injured.

  25. #425
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Funny how sometimes things work out. It's very likely Barrett is not a Knick if Durant doesn't get injured.

    Not sure that's what you'd call "working out". If we didn't have Barrett right now, it's probably because we have both Durant and AD. Who else would we have traded the #3 pick for?

    I also don't really agree it would have been highly likely. Topping that Lakers offer would have been nuts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts