Don't trust Dolan, but I do think Perry will prevail

Re: 2018 - 2019 New York Knicks: Sloe Gin Fiz Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    NO DAVIS

DO NOT TRADE

They're not getting him anyway.

Dolan hasn't made personnel decisions since he hired Phil.

NYYF Legend

Every time I think to myself "damn, they have a winnable game tonight" they end up losing.

Their upcoming schedule features some bad teams (except for Boston). I hope they don't mess this up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Dolan hasn't made personnel decisions since he hired Phil.
    Of course, but don't try to tell me Jim wasn't in Mill's office at 8:00:00.000 AM yesterday morning

NYYF Legend

Well, time for an avi update...
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Well, time for an avi update...
    I do not like the trade, but hopefully you can convince me otherwise.

NYYF MVP

I am wondering if they are done - they have an awful lot of young point guards.

If they go into the offseason like this, they'd better be able to sign at least one max FA. Too bad Harper and Machado don't play basketball.

I don't even know what to think at this point. On one hand, I've gotten tired of KP & his brothers' diva act. On the other hand, the Knicks are the most incompetent organization in the league.

Bottom line, they just traded the face of the franchise who is on a rookie deal for cap relief and a guy (DSJ) who they should have drafted in the first place...but who is also the point guard version of Melo (lazy analogy but still).

They better have established via back channels that Kyrie & KD (or Kawhi) are coming here. The sad part is they might have been able to get 2 of those guys anyway, with KP still on board. Did they really just use him as a sweetener to clear cap room?? Yuck.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    On the other hand, the Knicks are the most incompetent organization in the league.
    which begs the question...

They better have established via back channels that Kyrie & KD (or Kawhi) are coming here.
    Why would they?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF MVP

I don't even know what to think at this point. On one hand, I've gotten tired of KP & his brothers' diva act. On the other hand, the Knicks are the most incompetent organization in the league.

Bottom line, they just traded the face of the franchise who is on a rookie deal for cap relief and a guy (DSJ) who they should have drafted in the first place...but who is also the point guard version of Melo (lazy analogy but still).

They better have established via back channels that Kyrie & KD (or Kawhi) are coming here. The sad part is they might have been able to get 2 of those guys anyway, with KP still on board. Did they really just use him as a sweetener to clear cap room?? Yuck.
    It's really critical where the #1 that Dallas is supposedly trying to acquire to put into the deal falls in the first round... If it's Dennis Smith, cap relief and and late first round pick, it seems like they are selling way too low on Porzingis

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I do not like the trade, but hopefully you can convince me otherwise.
    I'm thinking the idea is KP is not who we think he is as fans that love the Knicks. He's a big man coming off a big leg injury, clearly not a Batman yet (or maybe even a Robin) on offense for a championship team, and he seemed to have diva tendencies much stronger than it seemed when he first was drafted. I mean shams is reporting he's informing the Mavs he intends to sign the QO this offseason.

They now have two max slots for this summer and can hopefully make a big push in free agency.

At least that's what I'm thinking is possible based on their actions.

NYYF Legend

I'm not there on the bolded yet. I think Perry is pretty well connected and I'm going to give him a shot here. Don't forget he employed Royal Ivey, who is legitimately one of Durant's best friends.

I also think there's more to come and a reason this went down a week before the deadline.

NYYF Legend

I'm thinking the idea is KP is not who we think he is as fans that love the Knicks. He's a big man coming off a big leg injury, clearly not a Batman yet (or maybe even a Robin) on offense for a championship team, and he seemed to have diva tendencies much stronger than it seemed when he first was drafted. I mean shams is reporting he's informing the Mavs he intends to sign the QO this offseason.

They now have two max slots for this summer and can hopefully make a big push in free agency.

At least that's what I'm thinking is possible based on their actions.
    We all kinda know deep down inside that the max guys they're going to end up with are going to be like Tobias Harris etc.

We still don't know if they received a draft pick in this deal, right? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

NYYF Legend

We all kinda know deep down inside that the max guys they're going to end up with are going to be like Tobias Harris etc.

We still don't know if they received a draft pick in this deal, right? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
    Nearly every report I've seen says ..."and a future first round draft pick"

edit - now some say 1st round, others say may include, and others are silent.
    guess we'll know soon
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

WTF???????????????

I had to triple check today isn't April 1

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Nearly every report I've seen says ..."and a future first round draft pick"

edit - now some say 1st round, others say may include, and others are silent.
    guess we'll know soon
    I've noticed that too... if there is no pick, you have to question the trade...

I'm not there on the bolded yet. I think Perry is pretty well connected and I'm going to give him a shot here. Don't forget he employed Royal Ivey, who is legitimately one of Durant's best friends.

I also think there's more to come and a reason this went down a week before the deadline.
    Yeah, hyperbole on my part for sure. I've just gotten burned so many times (as we all have) that I just set the bar low and hope for better.

If I'm being honest with myself, Perry & Mills have shown more of a bonafide plan than we've seen in 2 decades...and Dolan not openly meddling has been stunning.

I still don't get this one, but have to imagine (like you said) that there's good reason it went down like this. Unfortunately they've done nothing to warrant me "trusting the process".

NYYF Legend

Two future first round picks are in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    NO DAVIS

DO NOT TRADE

Kyrie, Durant and the Zion will do the Knicks just fine.

NYYF Legend

Porzingis could possibly be in that same category longterm.

NYYF Legend

I'm going to have to reserve judgement until the ping pong balls land and the free agents have moved. I'm willing to give Perry some rope

NYYF Legend

On a pure talent level this trade is horrendous. Smith Jr might be a 6th man that thinks he's 1st team all-nba.

It sucks that we basically had to use Porzingis as an asset to clear cap space rather than to get equal value.

All that said, if KP was gonna sign the QO no matter what and he remains extremely injury prone (what has he played, like <50% of possible games), it's probably a fair deal.

What I don't get is why they had to do this now. Days until the trade deadline, months until the offseason. Anthony Davis and others are out there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    On a pure talent level this trade is horrendous. Smith Jr might be a 6th man that thinks he's 1st team all-nba.

It sucks that we basically had to use Porzingis as an asset to clear cap space rather than to get equal value.

All that said, if KP was gonna sign the QO no matter what and he remains extremely injury prone (what has he played, like <50% of possible games), it's probably a fair deal.

What I don't get is why they had to do this now. Days until the trade deadline, months until the offseason. Anthony Davis and others are out there.
    I'm sure the timing had to everything to do with opening up cap space to sign 2 max players this off season where there are currently at least 3 projected to hit the open market and worth the max deal they are going to receive.

Here is a good list.
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/7/...t-kyrie-irving
    Baseball is life;

I like Porzingis upside but he and his brother acted very entitled the whole time here. For whatever reason they didn't want to be here. So good riddance.

Thread Information