+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Noticed a bump on the old Hot Stove thread so started thinking about possible options for our biggest need this summer. Starting pitching? Patrick Corbin perhaps?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Noticed a bump on the old Hot Stove thread so started thinking about possible options for our biggest need this summer. Starting pitching? Patrick Corbin perhaps?
    Why would the 15-6 D-back be looking to trade Corbin?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Why would the 15-6 D-back be looking to trade Corbin?
    Not sure they would. But since he's in his walk year, maybe they consider seeing what they could get.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Calls a tool a tool

Duffy. Bumgardner. Fulmer.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Look at Arizona's record. Why would they have a fire sale?
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

If it's not Duffy, I think there's a good chance it's going to be a young controllable starter with great pedigree that has struggled with consistency...until this year, when he has put it all together. There will be debate here about whether or not the breakout is real, and some will be upset at the price paid for such a limited track record, but the Yankees will bank on deep-dive analysis that points to this being the new baseline for the guy.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

When Seattle falls out in the West, James Paxton is my dark horse pitching acquisition. Heís the type of guy that Cash loves as a lefty with a great strikeout rate.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    When Seattle falls out in the West, James Paxton is my dark horse pitching acquisition. Heís the type of guy that Cash loves as a lefty with a great strikeout rate.
    Paxton is someone I would want the Yankees to go after, but he would cost a LOT in terms of prospects. He's in his second year of arbitration and won't be a free agent until 2021. It's the same problem that pretty much everyone that has already been mentioned in this thread has (Fulmer, Taillon, Folty, Skaggs, Manaea, Newcomb, etc). They all won't be free agents until at LEAST 2021, some not until 2023. If you want good, cheap pitching, you're gonna have to give up a package similar to (probably even better than) what the Cubs gave up for Quintana.

MadBum and Duffy are the only pitchers mentioned that's both on a losing team and has a big contract where the team has to think about if they want to swallow that money while they won't be competing for a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Paxton is someone I would want the Yankees to go after, but he would cost a LOT in terms of prospects. He's in his second year of arbitration and won't be a free agent until 2021. It's the same problem that pretty much everyone that has already been mentioned in this thread has (Fulmer, Taillon, Folty, Skaggs, Manaea, Newcomb, etc). They all won't be free agents until at LEAST 2021, some not until 2023. If you want good, cheap pitching, you're gonna have to give up a package similar to (probably even better than) what the Cubs gave up for Quintana.

MadBum and Duffy are the only pitchers mentioned that's both on a losing team and has a big contract where the team has to think about if they want to swallow that money while they won't be competing for a playoff spot.
    Yea he wonít come cheap, but the Mís also have bad contracts that the could attach if theyíre looking for salary relief and prospects.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    If it's not Duffy, I think there's a good chance it's going to be a young controllable starter with great pedigree that has struggled with consistency...until this year, when he has put it all together. There will be debate here about whether or not the breakout is real, and some will be upset at the price paid for such a limited track record, but the Yankees will bank on deep-dive analysis that points to this being the new baseline for the guy.
    You're describing Manaea.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    You're describing Manaea.
    He was certainly the first name in my head when I started thinking about it.

Taillon, Skaggs (I don't believe in the Angels), Foltynewicz, etc., etc.

Would love to get Gohara. Atlanta would ask a lot for him, if they were to make him available.

NYYF Legend

This was the guy who I've been looking at/hoping for but ... man, if Huntington drove a hard bargain on Cole I would think he'd drive a harder one on this guy if he's a breakout star at ASB. Also not sure I'd call him "inconsistent," he pitched pretty well last year for a cancer patient.

Definitely wouldnít want Manaea. Weíd be giving up a bunch of prospects for a guy who could very well not even get a playoff start on this team. Sonny looks to hopefully be getting back on track here. Sonny at his best is easily better than Manaea, and Fulmer for that matter.

NYYF Legend

I still don't know why the Mariners would put Paxton on block. They have shown that they could be competitive if the team is healthy so far this season. Even if they're out of the race by July, Cano's injury would give them a reason for not selling.

Paxton would be someone they try to lock up early instead of trading away for more assets.

NYYF Legend

Imagine if the Yankees had the first pick in the draft next month. Would you trade that for Paxton?

NYYF Legend

Imagine if the Yankees had the first pick in the draft next month. Would you trade that for Paxton?
    So it's something like Casey Mize for Paxton. I definitely would pull the trigger but not sure the Mariners would bite.

NYYF Legend

There is really no need to lock up Paxton. They have him for three more seasons, I'd be pretty adverse to giving him a long term contract without him displaying the ability to stay healthy over the course of a season.

I think his health is reason why the Mariners would trade him. Also, the reason I'd probably be adverse to giving up major pieces for him.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    There is really no need to lock up Paxton. They have him for three more seasons, I'd be pretty adverse to giving him a long term contract without him displaying the ability to stay healthy over the course of a season.

I think his health is reason why the Mariners would trade him. Also, the reason I'd probably be adverse to giving up major pieces for him.
    This^^^

Would love to get Blake Snell, Brad Hand, or Reynaldo Lopez but Iím not sure why any of those teams would give them up. They each have a ton of control left. So even if their teams are struggling, why would they trade them?

On top of that, Iím really not a fan of trading for a MadBum or someone similar (good pitcher, but on their second contract). The price in terms of prospects would be too high and it would likely put us over our spending limit.

Imagine trading away Frazier, Florial, and Medina for someone. All of a sudden our farm system is looking really weak, which will hurt us in terms of potential maneuverability moving forward.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    So it's something like Casey Mize for Paxton. I definitely would pull the trigger but not sure the Mariners would bite.
    I was saying more along the lines of Medina, and Naehring saying that he'd go 1-1 in this draft.

I see both sides of the willingness to do a deal like that, but I don't think people yet realize what a commodity Medina could become in the very near term future. I knew he was That Dudeô in the Yankees pitching prospects pool that is slated to produce the next big riser on prospect lists, but Naehring's comment opened up a whole new level of intrigue for me personally.

NYYF Legend

I donít understand everyoneís obsession with Paxton... dude has been great this year, but his injury history is scary as eff, most of it involving his shoulder

This team doesnít need another pitcher who barely moves the needle
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

I don't subscribe, but the obsession is exactly what you said - he's been great this year. And when combined with amazing pedigree and scouting, plus a foreseeable path to him actually being available, that's undeniably intriguing.

I agree with you that his injury history is way too ominous to get me all-in on him, but he's a lefty starter who has shown real and true dominance in ML games. I get it, but it's not for me due to the risk associated with him potentially breaking down.

Calls a tool a tool

I didnt know you were allowed to trade draft picks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I didnt know you were allowed to trade draft picks.
    You're not (dumb rule).

Thread Information