+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 379 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 150 190 240 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 9454
    ↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    What exactly do you mean by “disrupt the left side of his infield”?
    Well, it’s pretty obvious. You either displace or trade Andujar now if you’re acquiring Machado, and if you proceed to re-sign him, you’re likely trading Didi too in order to accommodate Macahdo’s insistence at playing SS. And if you already traded Andujar, you now have a hole at 3B, plus you’ve weakened yourself defensively at SS.

And for all of this manoevering, you’re still not addressing an actual need.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Well, itís pretty obvious. You either displace or trade Andujar now if youíre acquiring Machado, and if you proceed to re-sign him, youíre likely trading Didi too in order to accommodate Macahdoís insistence at playing SS. And if you already traded Andujar, you now have a hole at 3B, plus youíve weakened yourself defensively at SS.

And for all of this manoevering, youíre still not addressing an actual need.
    Machado is 5x the player Andujar is. That upgrade can mean the difference between the wild card game or the ALDS.

The need they are addressing is the need to win the division. Machado fills that need.

Are people really worried about an overpay? The Yankees are loaded with pitching prospects, any of whom which would shoot up to the top of Baltimore's organizational chart. There's obviously certain guys who shouldn't be traded like Sheffield/Medina etc.

Machado insisting on being a SS is pretty braindead, but given his (rumored) desire to play here, I'm sure he'd accommodate a move to third. This also allows the Yanks to dangle Andujar -- a guy with decent upside, but also some significant drawbacks in his game -- for pitching. It's a fairly win/win scenario.

Machado is 5x the player Andujar is. That upgrade can mean the difference between the wild card game or the ALDS.

The need they are addressing is the need to win the division. Machado fills that need.
    I couldn’t disagree more. This team needs to address actual weaknesses such as starting pitching and a LH bat far more than they need Machado. SS and 3B are certainly not weaknesses on this ball club and you certainly don’t need an All-Star at every position to win a championship.

NYYF Legend

I couldnít disagree more. This team needs to address actual weaknesses such as starting pitching and a LH bat far more than they need Machado. SS and 3B are certainly not weaknesses on this ball club.
    They arenít limited to one move per deadline. Why canít they do both?

So much this

Probably canít get an ace, so buy a decent starter and then improve the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Probably canít get an ace, so buy a decent starter and then improve the offense.
    I understand this, but is it worth giving up a valuable trade chip (one that could be used for pitching) WHEN that pitcher becomes available whether its August like a Verlander did and/or the off season like a Chris Sale did.

thats the dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    I understand this, but is it worth giving up a valuable trade chip (one that could be used for pitching) WHEN that pitcher becomes available whether its August like a Verlander did and/or the off season like a Chris Sale did.

thats the dilemma
    Dilemma for sure. Should the Yankees take a chance to miss this year to hopefully trade for an ace in the offseason?

Acquiring Machado takes a huge chunk out of their remaining available payroll without exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

Canít speak for you, but Iíll be pretty pissed off if someone like Bumgarner becomes available in the next couple of weeks and we canít trade for him because we blew our load on a player who doesnít address a weakness.

NYYF Legend

Acquiring Machado takes a huge chunk out of their remaining available payroll without exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

Canít speak for you, but Iíll be pretty pissed off if someone like Bumgarner becomes available in the next couple of weeks and we canít trade for him because we blew our load on a player who doesnít address a weakness.
    Machado is owed around $7M and MadBum around $5M. Theyíll be fine.

Youíre assuming the Yankees will not have to eat additional salaries in either deal and that they wonít trade any chips for Machado that could hurt their ability to trade for a badly needed starting pitcher.

This team is going nowhere in October if theyíre relying on Tanaka and Sabathia to go head to head with guys like Cole and Morton in a short post-season series, and it doesnít matter how many great hitters you have.

I'm fine trading for Machado if the price is right, but I think Frazier is a little too much. The max I would offer is Florial or Abreu and a couple 40-man casualties. If that's not enough, then walk away.

Even if we don't get Machado, we should push hard for one of those ace SPs. Offer Andujar + Frazier+. We could always trade for a guy like Moustakas who shouldn't cost much and wouldn't be a downgrade from Andujar.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

It is all dependent on when the deals occur, but the Yankees could possibly fit Britton under the CBT as well.

According to Cots, the Yankees have $16,486,625 remaining under the CBT threshold.

Under the CBA, the annual salary and AAV are allocated to the trading team through the date of the trade and to the receiving team as of the day after the trade.

There are 187 days in the ML season - as of the trading deadline, there would be 61 days left to be allocated to the acquiring team, or 32.6% of the season. Each day earlier adds 0.535% to this number.

Machado's AAV is $16M per Cots; Britton & MadBum are both $12M.

Let's assume that Machado & Britton are traded to the Yankees next Thursday, the 19th. The remaining days in the season would be 72 days, so the Yankees would be allocated $10,780,749 of their combined $28M AAV.

Further assume that MadBum is traded to the Yankees at the trading deadline - his allocation would be $3,914,439.

These two trades would still leave the Yankees $1.8M under the CBT threshold and that assumes that no one from the ML roster, such as Walker, is traded away, thus dampening their impact on the CBT number.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I have to believe Cashman is working his butt off to address the need. If he's going after Machado, which I'm not completely sure is his endgame, I'm confident there's a deeper plan than just acquiring an All Star who doesn't address a need. Let's see who else and what else is involved.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Garrett Richards will have TJ surgery. Any unit more injury-prone than their rotation? Yeesh.

Except Machado has more value as an excellent defender at 3B than he does as the sub-standard defender he is at SS, so I donít buy that.
    You might not buy that, but you are about the only person who wouldn't. A SS is much more valuable than a 3B. A team can place many cement shoed players over at 3B, while it takes a much better athlete to play SS. Being able to place MM in a lineup at SS means you can have another big bat in the lineup at 3rd, not some light-hitting SS.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees are 3.5 games behind the Red Sox and 3 games ahead of the Mariners. Any upgrade would be welcome as it may not only be the difference maker of the AL Easy pennant but also the home court advantage in a one game wild card playoff.

Youíre assuming the Yankees will not have to eat additional salaries in either deal and that they wonít trade any chips for Machado that could hurt their ability to trade for a badly needed starting pitcher.

This team is going nowhere in October if theyíre relying on Tanaka and Sabathia to go head to head with guys like Cole and Morton in a short post-season series, and it doesnít matter how many great hitters you have.

But maybe they need to give up Andujar to get this top SP? Maybe someone wants Dury? I am 100% sure Cashman knows we need as good of a pitcher as we can get and maybe part of the package teams wants is Andujar and 1 way to get that is to trade for Manny. I do not think at all they will get Manny i really don't But i do 100% know Cashman is aware more then us that we need a SP. But maybe there is not a great one around.

Plus you have to remember the rule 5 draft is coming and we can't horde prospects. People everyday think we can keep our chips but that is not so as you can only protect so many then guys who could have been packaged for a Sp go away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    You might not buy that, but you are about the only person who wouldn't. A SS is much more valuable than a 3B. A team can place many cement shoed players over at 3B, while it takes a much better athlete to play SS. Being able to place MM in a lineup at SS means you can have another big bat in the lineup at 3rd, not some light-hitting SS.
    Certainly wouldnít be the first time I disagreed with the masses and was proven right in the long run...

Meanwhile J.A. Happ has thrown 3 scoreless against the Sox so far lol
    Rich

Certainly wouldnít be the first time I disagreed with the masses and was proven right in the long run...
    I get that but you're disagreeing with common knowledge, a SS is much more valuable than the same player at 3b. It wouldn't matter if the 3b is a human vacuum as long as said player is adequate at short.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    Meanwhile J.A. Happ has thrown 3 scoreless against the Sox so far lol
    He's since given up a GS to Mookie Betts. Do. Not. Want.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He's since given up a GS to Mookie Betts. Do. Not. Want.
    In fairness to him,all,of the runs were unearned. Travis dropped a throw at 2B. Smoak then dropped a very catchable foul ball,that wasnít ruled an error, prior to a Betts GS.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

You're making the biggest assumption with Bumgartner being available.

They did last year with the same staff. And, Machado or not, you know we are adding a good piece to help.

Thread Information