+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 378 FirstFirst ... 19 59 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 79 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 9448
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    Am I missing something from the list?

David Price was the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp

Chris Sale was the No. 13 pick in the 2010 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp
    I think I typoed Sale. Price was drafted twice. Once 19th and once first.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    You have to toss Doug Drabek and Larry Gura onto the bonfire too. Hell, let's throw Bob Tewksbury in as well!
    Drabek did win a Cy Young, but I'd put him in the Andy Pettitte class. Of course, maybe Pettitte WAS an ace. Definitely could argue that.

Gura, 21 war, came up with the Cubs. Tewksbury did have one really good year. 21 war for his career. Drabek's career war was 28. Andy Pettitte's was 60. Guidry was 48.

Roger Clemens 140
    Mussina 83
    Randy Johnson 101
    Jimmy Key 49
    Dwight Gooden 53
    Pedro Martinez 84

Max Scherzer 49
    Chris Sale 39
    Kershaw's 62
    Kluber 32
    Noah Syn 11
    Madbum 32
    Degrom 21
    Verlander 61
    Strasburg 26
    Keuchel 16
    Arrieta 23

https://www.lockedonyankees.com/yank...everino-since/
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Lol, Andy Pettitte had some good seasons, but the only time he was truly a Sale/Severino type ace was when he was in Houston and in 97.

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    Of course, maybe Pettitte WAS an ace. Definitely could argue that.[/url]
    No you couldn't. Andy was never close to an Ace. A solid #2/3 who pitched some tremendous games in the postseason. He pitched like a frontline guy for two years of his career.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees did trade a true ace before. He's Randy Johnson who just came off a 176 ERA+ season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Lol, Andy Pettitte had some good seasons, but the only time he was truly a Sale/Severino type ace was when he was in Houston and in 97.
    I'd agree, Andy was not an ace generally ... one odd footnote about his 1996 season, though, he had two WILDLY bad games that season, one in April and one in July, where he pitched a combined 3.2 innings and allowed 18 earned runs. I know you can't just cherry-pick those out ... but just for fun, that would leave him with a 3.18 ERA, pretty terrific in 1996 AL, over 217.1 innings. All pitchers benefit if you get to throw out the two worst games in a season but I wonder how many would have benefited THAT MUCH.

Why not package a deal around Didi, put Torres at SS and drury or torreyes at 2B and the Machado in the offseason

NYYF Legend

this team doesn't need more right handed hitters...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Why not package a deal around Didi, put Torres at SS and drury or torreyes at 2B and the Machado in the offseason
    because he doesn't have much trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    You wouldn't have said this on April 30th though.

Didi has one year left on his contract. That alone hurts his trade value.

NYYF MVP

The tendency is to think about acquiring stars who are either in the final years of their deals or close to it (Hamels, MadBum, DeGrom, etc.). I've been thinking about possible gets who might have potential to be productive investments without crushing our prospect depth, which is sort of waning after all of the recent graduations. Here are some examples:

Anthony DeSclafani - Definitely a question mark coming off that injury, but he has looked good for the Reds in two starts (ERA isn't sparkling, but the other peripherals look good). Has two years of team control after this season so he could be a 'now and future' guy.

Jose Urena - Classic case of 'better stuff than results' and no one is ever setting out to get a guy who is 1 and 8, but I'm always willing to take a chance on groundball pitchers. He still has a handful of years left on his contract as well. Working with our coaching staff might be what he needs to take it to the next level. Really has #2 potential and I don't think the asking price would be insane.

I think I typoed Sale. Price was drafted twice. Once 19th and once first.
    David Price was drafted in the 19th round of the 2004 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/y200...sc=round&sp=19

... the 568th pick overall.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    this team doesn't need more right handed hitters...
    i would trade bird, ellsbury, and a single A arm for Joey Votto and his monster contract.

Ellsbury is more valuable on the dl where insurance is paying his paycheck. Problem is, it still counts towards the luxury tax.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Can someone explain how options work?
    Is it being taken off the 40 man roster or being on the 40 man and going to the 25 that counts as an option?

Is it being taken off the 40 man roster or being on the 40 man and going to the 25 that counts as an option?
    It's not about being on or off the 40 man per se.. it is about being sent down to the minor leagues..

So the major league roster is 25 men.. Ok.. Now you can bring up people from the minor leagues to replace anyone of the 25 man major league roster, but only if they are on the 40 man roster. In other words, you cannot replace one of the 25 major league guys with just anyone in your minor leagues, they must be on the 40 man, which essentially means you have 15 spare people in the minors who you can call up to the majors at any given time.

Now if you send someone down, that is using an "option". Players only have a finite number of options before they cannot be sent down with a standard option to the minors anymore. Once they are out of options, to be sent down they have to be taken off the 40 man roster, and the big thing here is that exposes them to waivers. As I understand it, players have 3 options, but a single option accounts for an entire season. We could send down Gleyber Torres and recall him as many times as we want this season and it only counts as using one of the three options. After that, to send him down would require him being taken off the 40 and again that means waivers. Any team could claim him no questions asked before he would have to report to the minors.

That is also the reason the 40 man is so important as well. Any player removed from the 40 is the ever popular DFA move (designate for assignment). Then waivers again, the player can be claimed by anyone..

That is why the 40 man manipulation is so important, there is a good risk of losing a player once they are removed from the 40 without any compensation.. So adding someone to the 40 is a big deal, because of what it means to take them (or anyone else) off it..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

There's a good explanation here:
    http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp...52&vkey=roster
    It also goes into the ramifications of the Disabled List, the difference between "recalled" and "purchased the contract of...," the Rule V draft, and the like.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Thanks, both of you.

So being "sent down to the minors" means being taken off the 40 man roster? Or just being on the 40 man and going to AAA.

IE: Player X is on the 40 man roster, but plays at AAA. They bring him up for a spot start for a week, then send him down to AAA again, but he's always on the 40 man. Does that use an option?

Also does coming off the 40 man roster once you're on it = DFA/waiver?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Thanks, both of you.

So being "sent down to the minors" means being taken off the 40 man roster? Or just being on the 40 man and going to AAA.

IE: Player X is on the 40 man roster, but plays at AAA. They bring him up for a spot start for a week, then send him down to AAA again, but he's always on the 40 man. Does that use an option?

A player optioned to the minors remains on the 40-man roster. In order to use one of the options, the player must remain in the minors for a span of 20 days.

For example, Gleyber Torres was optioned to AAA at the beginning of the season and recalled on April 22nd - since he was in the minors for a span of longer than 20 days, his first option has been used. He can be optioned to the minors anytime in the remainder of the season under this first option.

When a player is removed from the 40-man roster, he is designated for assignment and subject to a waiver claim by other ML teams.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thanks, both of you.

You're very welcome!

Sending someone down does not mean they come off the 40 man. We could, for example send Gleyber down if we wanted to, but you'd never take him off the 40 if you did because he'd assuredly get claimed on waivers and you'd lose him for nothing. So you just "option" him to the minors since he has options left, and he would be removed from the 25 man major league roster but remain on the 40 man roster.

Yes, if you call someone up and then send them down, that is an option, even if they always remain on the 40 man roster (injuries/rehab assignments aside).

And yes, coming off the 40 man once you are on it means a DFA/waiver process.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    You're very welcome!

Sending someone down does not mean they come off the 40 man. We could, for example send Gleyber down if we wanted to, but you'd never take him off the 40 if you did because he'd assuredly get claimed on waivers and you'd lose him for nothing. So you just "option" him to the minors since he has options left, and he would be removed from the 25 man major league roster but remain on the 40 man roster.

Yes, if you call someone up and then send them down, that is an option, even if they always remain on the 40 man roster (injuries/rehab assignments aside).

And yes, coming off the 40 man once you are on it means a DFA/waiver process.
    This comment is not completely accurate - a player must remain in the minors for a period of 20 days before the option is considered used.

For example, Toe was optioned to AAA on May 26 and recalled on June 9, a period of 15 days - because he was not in the minors for 20 days, the option is not yet used.

Minor League Options

Players on a 40-man roster are given three Minor League "options." An option allows that player to be sent to the Minor Leagues ("optioned") without first being subjected to waivers. When a player is optioned to the Minors for a span of more than 20 days, he loses an option.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Calls a tool a tool

Is that 20 days total for a season? Can a player be repeatedly sent down in 1 season for less than 20 days at any time without using up an option?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    A player optioned to the minors remains on the 40-man roster. In order to use one of the options, the player must remain in the minors for a span of 20 days.

For example, Gleyber Torres was optioned to AAA at the beginning of the season and recalled on April 22nd - since he was in the minors for a span of longer than 20 days, his first option has been used. He can be optioned to the minors anytime in the remainder of the season under this first option.

When a player is removed from the 40-man roster, he is designated for assignment and subject to a waiver claim by other ML teams.

Perfect, thanks. If GT was only sent down for 10 days and brought back up, would it use an option?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    This comment is not completely accurate - a player must remain in the minors for a period of 20 days before the option is considered used.

For example, Toe was optioned to AAA on May 26 and recalled on June 9, a period of 15 days - because he was not in the minors for 20 days, the option is not yet used.

Minor League Options

ahh good point, grazie!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Is that 20 days total for a season? Can a player be repeatedly sent down in 1 season for less than 20 days at any time without using up an option?
    No, the 20 days is aggregate within a season.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes
    If GT was only sent down for 10 days and brought back up, would it use an option?
    No. Just as if Toe remains up in the majors, he won't have used an option year this year.

Thread Information