+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 352 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 118 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 8784
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Joel Sherman from MLB Network was on High Heat with Russo. He said the price for DeGrom would be similar to the Chris Sale price but even more because of the thin starting pitching market. He said 3 top 100 guys and 2 more high end prospects that are lighting up A ball. Otherwise the Mets don't have to sell DeGrom until 2020 when he is a free agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Price tag fine for me.
    Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying. This is how you overpay when you have things set up like the Yankees do, regardless of how it works out longterm.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Mets are not trading any aces to us. Giants are not trading Madbum this season. Rays are not trading us Snell. Fun to dream though.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I'm guessing because he has another cost controlled year and plays a more premium position while putting up similar offensive numbers.

I disagree though. Judge is proven with over 1000 PA. Torres has about 100 PA. Besides, while Torres plays a more premium position, Judge is good at OF. Torres has been a butcher at 2B. They're kind of a wash in terms of defensive value, and Judge is slightly better on offense anyway.

If I was told I could have any person in the Yankees lineup or farm system, it would be Judge without a doubt.
    I think a lot of value also comes from gley’s age vs aaron’s.
    https://gfycat.com/ComplexObedientArgusfish

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying. This is how you overpay when you have things set up like the Yankees do, regardless of how it works out longterm.
    Not for me, I rather they develop their own starting pitching and stick to their long-term plan.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

JA Happ or Cole Hamels.

Rather have Happ but it all depends on the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Joel Sherman from MLB Network was on High Heat with Russo. He said the price for DeGrom would be similar to the Chris Sale price but even more because of the thin starting pitching market. He said 3 top 100 guys and 2 more high end prospects that are lighting up A ball. Otherwise the Mets don't have to sell DeGrom until 2020 when he is a free agent.
    No one is trading all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Not for me, I rather they develop their own starting pitching and stick to their long-term plan.
    Same here.

This team has a big window. No need to rush things.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/...41271032897537

MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM

Verified account

@MLBNetworkRadio
    FollowFollow @MLBNetworkRadio
    More
    If the #Yankees have the chance to trade Gleyber Torres for a top starter, should they do it?

@JimBowdenGM: Yes!

@Jim_Duquette: No!

#PinstripePride

I disagree with Bowden...can't trade Torres for deGrom..
    Hahahaha... hahahaha..oh I can't breathe.... bleeping Ralph.... hahahaha. This is why he's taking phone call on radio and not making them as a GM.

Thanks for posting that. I was wondering what Jim Bowden was thinking.
    I'll never forget when the Yankees traded for Headly, he was so cocksure that Severino was going back to SD. This trade thing certainly isn't his forte

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I listened to that discussion yesterday. Bowden feels that position players are more replaceable than aces. Also that the history of the game is filled with great position players who never made it to the WS. That once you get to October, aces are more essential to winning a championship. While I see his point, I wouldn't trade Gleyber in that deal. I'm with Duquette.
    Position players are much more valuable
    1.) They play every day
    2.) They're not one swing away from a 15 month rehab for TJS or TOS surgery. Pitching is too fragile to give up a player like Torres or Andujar once they've reached the bigs. Prospects are fair game. Remember the Astro got their current ace at the waiver trade deadline! Not by trading a big ML chip
    Last edited by spanky185; 06-12-18 at 11:12 AM.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

I'm guessing because he has another cost controlled year and plays a more premium position while putting up similar offensive numbers.

I disagree though. Judge is proven with over 1000 PA. Torres has about 100 PA. Besides, while Torres plays a more premium position, Judge is good at OF. Torres has been a butcher at 2B. They're kind of a wash in terms of defensive value, and Judge is slightly better on offense anyway.

If I was told I could have any person in the Yankees lineup or farm system, it would be Judge without a doubt.
    I stepped into it now.

When I say valuable, I mean as an asset going forward into the future. It has to do with the fact Torres plays premium positions, is as close to a 5 tool player the Yankees have on their 40, and has shown he can stretch ABs by waiting on the pitch he wants. He looks like he’s developing into a tough out. Is he a hybrid Ryne Sandberg / Robin Yount? Or will he fall off like Carlos Baerga? Obviously, this is largely conjecture considering he’s not had as much exposure as Judge has.

As for Judge? I’m not sure how well a power forward’s body will age in the OF, and of course I’m not so sure he’s ever going to strike out less than he does now. It pains me to say it, but I see a mistake hitter who brutalizes mistakes, but will always be at the mercy of pitchers who can vary pitch height, and frankly, the umpires who have their own version of muscle memory branded onto their brains.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by budstinks View Post
    technically, college counts as developmental time, so you just wasted all that time, making a useless comment about wording. Or nothing of consequence.

Good day sir.
    Whatever.

Be well.

Scout knows which potential Yankees target checks all boxes
    By George A. King III and Dan Martin June 11, 2018 | 11:34pm

https://nypost.com/2018/06/11/scout-...site%20buttons

Hamels has the bigger name, but a scout who follows the Yankees believes their choice would be Happ.

“Happ has been more consistent,’’ the scout said of the 35-year-old who is 8-3 with a 3.71 ERA in 13 starts for the struggling Blue Jays. “And he pitched good in the playoffs.’’

Since returning to Toronto two years ago, Happ is 38-18 with a 3.40 ERA for the Blue Jays — including a 20-4 record with a 3.18 ERA in 2016.

Yogi Buck

#1 starters are the most elusive beast in the mlb jungle.

The Yanks have developed how many the past 50 years?

Severino

and

and

and

Ron Guidrey?

Some would argue Andy Pettitte, most would not.

Mel Stottlemyre falls just outside that 50 year range.

We can develop back end/mid rotation guys and hope they become aces.

You gonna be waiting a long time for aces!

And no, Happ is a very good pitcher, much like Pettitte. He was an ace in 2016 and part of 2015 with the Pirates. But I don't see him as a current ace.
    [B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Whatever.

Be well.
    Exactly my friend.

Stay positive and supportive.

[B]WARNING![/B] This post may be offensive to little girly men or women with soft feelings.

Never [B]argue with an idiot[/B]. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Severino

and

and

and

Ron Guidrey?

You're not getting a #1 starter from the Mets nor the Giants. So where is this #1 starter coming from? The Yankees need to continue the inroads they made in their pitching development program. Maybe the next guy isn't Severino, but he could be a good #2 starter. Also, there is nothing wrong with developing #3 starters as long as you have a strong bullpen to go with it. Stick to the long-term plan and don't listen to impatient fans and media.

Yogi Buck

You're not getting a #1 starter from the Mets nor the Giants. So where is this #1 starter coming from? The Yankees need to continue the inroads they made in their pitching development program. Maybe the next guy isn't Severino, but he could be a good #2 starter. Also, there is nothing wrong with developing #3 starters as long as you have a strong bullpen to go with it. Stick to the long-term plan and don't listen to impatient fans and media.
    Hey, I'm not disagreeing about developing pitching, you keep bringing them in and bringing them up. You could argue that we are in the middle of one of the best Yankee development programs in many of our lifetimes.

I've stated before, I'd rather rush Sheffield to the bigs and see if he doesn't have "it" before trading him away at the deadline for an overpriced 35 year old declining ace.

I say it a lot, develop pitchers with the thought of them being low cost options for #3-#5 and hope they become #1's or #2's.

There are only a dozen or so true aces that I would trade something of value for and you are absolutely right, they don't come available very often. I wouldn't even trade for a #3-#5 unless it is a true salary dump or you are absolutely desperate. What's the point, one of those guys in the minors we discussed can pitch to a #5.

All that said, Yankees probably aren't beating the Astros or winning the World Series unless they pick up someone like Severino (costly) or someone they already have pitches like Severino (unlikely). Heavy and electric fastballs seem to work in the post season after the long grind wears everyone down.

Lastly, unless you are Sandy Alderson or Fred Wilpon, you can't make that first statement.

Hey, I'm not disagreeing about developing pitching, you keep bringing them in and bringing them up. You could argue that we are in the middle of one of the best Yankee development programs in many of our lifetimes.

I've stated before, I'd rather rush Sheffield to the bigs and see if he doesn't have "it" before trading him away at the deadline for an overpriced 35 year old declining ace.
    I say it a lot, develop pitchers with the thought of them being low cost options for #3-#5 and hope they become #1's or #2's.

There are only a dozen or so true aces that I would trade something of value for and you are absolutely right, they don't come available very often. I wouldn't even trade for a #3-#5 unless it is a true salary dump or you are absolutely desperate. What's the point, one of those guys in the minors we discussed can pitch to a #5.

All that said, Yankees aren't beating the Astros or winning the World Series unless they pick up someone like Severino (costly) or someone they already have pitches like Severino (unlikely).

Lastly, unless you are Sandy Alderson or Fred Wilpon, you can't make that first statement.
    Yankees would have likely beaten the Astros last year if they had home field, and a good chance they'd have won the WS as well.

Yankees can do that again this year, but you're right, a #1-#2 pitcher would give them a greater chance of doing so.

Yogi Buck

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Yankees would have likely beaten the Astros last year if they had home field, and a good chance they'd have won the WS as well.
    Or if an ace like Verlander was on the Yankees rather than the Astros?

And that was with Tanaka pitching like a true ace after a 4.74 era season.

All that said, Yankees probably aren't beating the Astros or winning the World Series unless they pick up someone like Severino (costly) or someone they already have pitches like Severino (unlikely). Heavy and electric fastballs seem to work in the post season after the long grind wears everyone down.

Of course I can, people make such declarations daily on this board. It doesn't mean I'm right, but I can make that statement. By the way, Fred Wilpon isn't signing off helping the Yankees win another WS titles while he's still alive. How about that statement?

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Severino

and

and

and

Ron Guidrey?

And no, Happ is a very good pitcher, much like Pettitte. He was an ace in 2016 and part of 2015 with the Pirates. But I don't see him as a current ace.
    You have to toss Doug Drabek and Larry Gura onto the bonfire too. Hell, let's throw Bob Tewksbury in as well!
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

More and more I think it will be Happ. I just hope we don't overpay.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thanks for posting that. I was wondering what Jim Bowden was thinking.
    Good ol' Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    More and more I think it will be Happ. I just hope we don't overpay.
    Yea all things considered he makes the most sense.

Kyle Gibson is my under the radar guy.

With Donaldson as a pending free agent, perhaps Drury and a minor leaguer could make the deal happen.

Happ will have only 5M left at mid season so Yanks could add a BP arm as well and stay under the luxury tax threshold.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Prospects that have the stuff to become Aces are fairly easily spotted (whether or not they develop into that is another story) and picked early. The Yankees are always at least a decent team, so they rarely even have the opportunity to draft pitchers like this. Look at current and past aces and their draft order

Strasburg: 1
    Verlander: 2
    Greinke: 6
    Kershaw: 7
    Bumgardner: 9
    Scherzer: 11
    Sale: 13
    Halladay: 17
    Sabathia: 20
    Price: 21 and 1st*

Pedro Martinez and King Felix weren't drafted.
    I can't think of any other truly dominant year after year pitchers, but I'm willing to bet if you looked them up, almost all of them have a low draft pick.

edit: Lester went in the 2nd round. That's all I could find.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Prospects that have the stuff to become Aces are fairly easily spotted (whether or not they develop into that is another story) and picked early. The Yankees are always at least a decent team, so they rarely even have the opportunity to draft pitchers like this. Look at current and past aces and their draft order

Strasburg: 1
    Verlander: 2
    Greinke: 6
    Kershaw: 7
    Bumgardner: 9
    Scherzer: 11
    Halladay: 17
    Sale: 19
    Sabathia: 20
    Price: 21

Pedro Martinez and King Felix weren't drafted.
    I can't think of any other truly dominant year after year pitchers, but I'm willing to bet if you looked them up, almost all of them have a low draft pick.

edit: Lester went in the 2nd round. That's all I could find.
    Am I missing something from the list?

David Price was the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp

Chris Sale was the No. 13 pick in the 2010 draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp

Rangers' Cole Hamels, Texas might have to sweeten the deal

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...le_hamels.html

Texas Rangers southpaw Cole Hamels is one of the best starting pitchers on the trade market. The Yankees need help in the rotation after losing Masahiro Tanaka and Jordan Montgomery to the disabled list. Will GM Brian Cashman make a run at Hamels before the July 31, 2018 (7/31/18) non-waiver trade deadline?

For all the talk of the Yankees acquiring Hamels, he still will be owed nearly $8 million at the deadline, making him a difficult fit for a team trying to remain under the $197 million luxury-tax threshold unless the Rangers included significant cash in the deal.

Thread Information