+ Reply to Thread
Page 141 of 379 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 151 191 241 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 9454
    ↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    You're making the biggest assumption with Bumgartner being available.
    I made no assumptions at all about Bumgarner. A lot can happen between now and the deadline. Plenty of teams are only one losing streak away from falling out of contention and going into sell mode. You might want to re-read what I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer’s Helmet
    I’ll be pretty pissed off if someone like Bumgarner becomes available in the next couple of weeks and we can’t trade for him because we blew our load on a player who doesn’t address a weakness.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Murcer and Munson View Post
    In fairness to him,all,of the runs were unearned. Travis dropped a throw at 2B. Smoak then dropped a very catchable foul ball,that wasn’t ruled an error, prior to a Betts GS.
    Plus a cheap groundball single to the pitcher by Noony and Betts actually had a strike 3 call on pitch 12 called a ball.

I still want Happ, but that price better be adjusted accordingly to his recent struggles.
    Let's Go Yankees!

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    I get that but you're disagreeing with common knowledge, a SS is much more valuable than the same player at 3b. It wouldn't matter if the 3b is a human vacuum as long as said player is adequate at short.
    In what world is a great hitting, below average defensive SS more valuable than a great hitting, elite defensive 3B?

I must have missed that memo...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    He's since given up a GS to Mookie Betts. Do. Not. Want.
    it wasn't a bad pitch mookie just having one of those yrs

1 bad inning I think the granny was on the 43 pitch of the inning

5 unearned runs only 1 error but a couple of other plays that should of been made

WADE

Quote Originally Posted by Murcer and Munson View Post
    In fairness to him,all,of the runs were unearned. Travis dropped a throw at 2B. Smoak then dropped a very catchable foul ball,that wasn’t ruled an error, prior to a Betts GS.
    darn wish I saw this 1st

the guy has a good record vs sox so I wouldn't have been to hard on him anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    In what world is a great hitting, below average defensive SS more valuable than a great hitting, elite defensive 3B?

If Didi were a great hitter, nobody would be talking about Machado. And how many more years will Didi be an elite fielder? He's 28 and only has one year left on his contract so the Yankees have a little bit of a power play scenario when it comes to negotiating his next contract. If it's reasonable, he can come back. If it's not, Machado can move to short.

IIRC, Arod originally didn't want to play third either, not wanting to wave his no trade clause. However, his agent talked him into it. You'd be suprised what players are willing to do for money.

I'm not getting into a drawn out discussion about this, agree to disagree.

NY is never playing Machado at SS except maybe in an occasional emergency. If Didi leaves after next season, Gleyber will move there and they will replace him at 2B.

If Didi were a great hitter, nobody would be talking about Machado. And how many more years will Didi be an elite fielder? He's 28 and only has one year left on his contract so the Yankees have a little bit of a power play scenario when it comes to negotiating his next contract. If it's reasonable, he can come back. If it's not, Machado can move to short.

IIRC, Arod originally didn't want to play third either, not wanting to wave his no trade clause. However, his agent talked him into it. You'd be suprised what players are willing to do for money.
    Zimmer was responding to my comment that Manny is worth more money playing SS than at 3B, he disagrees and believes he is worth more at 3B.

Zimmer was responding to my comment that Manny is worth more money playing SS than at 3B, he disagrees and believes he is worth more at 3B.
    He's definitely worth more at 3b. He doesn't have great range to be elite at SS even though he makes the plays and has a strong arm.

He's definitely worth more at 3b. He doesn't have great range to be elite at SS even though he makes the plays and has a strong arm.
    He is a BETTER shortstop, he is worth more financially as a SS.

Except he's not. His defense is really not that good at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasYank23 View Post
    Jim Bowden on CBS sports saying that the potential prospects in the deal would be:

Clint Frazier
    Erik Swanson
    Chance Adams

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/video/...manny-machado/
    When the Yankees traded for Headly he was certain they had to have traded Severino. "I can't imagine how they make that trade without giving up Severino" is what he said on air. Couldn't have been more wrong
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Honestly, the market will pay Machado what he is worth based on his offensive production, regardless of what position he is playing.

He wanted to play SS this year going into FA to show other teams that he could play SS - IMO, he has actually hurt himself because he moved from a position where he was Gold Glove caliber to a position where he is below average.

As an example, of all the SS listed on ESPN's stats, he ranks DEAD LAST of all the shortstops in dWAR - dead last.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Honestly, the market will pay Machado what he is worth based on his offensive production, regardless of what position he is playing.

He wanted to play SS this year going into FA to show other teams that he could play SS - IMO, he has actually hurt himself because he moved from a position where he was Gold Glove caliber to a position where he is below average.

As an example, of all the SS listed on ESPN's stats, he ranks DEAD LAST of all the shortstops in dWAR - dead last.
    I'm sure some teams willing to pay him tons will have to sit him down as part of their presentation and lay this out to him.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

With the way hes hitting, hell win you a lot more games with his bat than hell lose you with his glove
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Legend

Can't argue with the sample size.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I made no assumptions at all about Bumgarner. A lot can happen between now and the deadline. Plenty of teams are only one losing streak away from falling out of contention and going into sell mode. You might want to re-read what I wrote:
    Fair enough. I wouldn't hold my breathe though. They are 2.5 out of the division, 4 in the WC and the just got Cueto and Samardjia back.

Even if the big losing streak does occur, I don't see the Giants selling off their ace when they will probably be players for Harper next year.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    Plus a cheap groundball single to the pitcher by Noony and Betts actually had a strike 3 call on pitch 12 called a ball.

I still want Happ, but that price better be adjusted accordingly to his recent struggles.
    I could take or leave Happ, but the latter is 100 on point.

like the most I'm offering at this point for Happ would be something like Adams. take it or leave it. Thats about Happ's value to me lately.

Calls a tool a tool

! earned runout of 5. Totally screwed by 3 misplays in the inning, 1 of which he committed.

Latest rumor

The Orioles are interested in getting LHP prospect Justus Sheffield and third basemen Brandon Drury from the Yankees and New York would also like to get left-handed reliever Zack Britton from Baltimore, so a potential Manny Machado trade could involve a lot of pieces from both teams. (Andy Martino, SNY)

Getting Machado feels a lot like a George move. Flashy hitters that make you a road draw, but don't help you win in the play-offs. Sheffield I have mixed feelings about. Many sure fire rookie pitchers never turn out to be what you think they will (remember our rotation was going to be Joba, Hughes and Kennedy? You think one of them would have panned out). After watching Sonny Gray and a host of shorter pitchers, any pitcher under 6'3" concerns me over the long term. It's the Britton part I find interesting. If Kahnle comes back to form, that's a pretty amazing back end.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Can't argue with the sample size.
    Actually, the small sample size is this year ( not counting the last four games). He's been pretty mediocre for his entire career. He's not an ace and he doesn't fit the job description of a pitcher who can bridge the gap between Severino and Tanaka in the starting rotation. He's 35 and a UFA in the offseason. He's not worth giving up prospects for and if the Jays aren't giving him away, I don't want him.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Actually, the small sample size is this year ( not counting the last four games). He's been pretty mediocre for his entire career. He's not an ace and he doesn't fit the job description of a pitcher who can bridge the gap between Severino and Tanaka in the starting rotation. He's 35 and a UFA in the offseason. He's not worth giving up prospects for and if the Jays aren't giving him away, I don't want him.

^^^This^^^

Just say No to Jay Happ-less....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Willing to move a prospect that we don't see much value in for Happ but that's really it.

He seems like a guy who could turn back into a pumpkin down the stretch.

Thread Information