+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    While in reminiscing mode today, he mentioned twice how Mel Stottlemyre came out of the minors to help the Yankees make it to the 1994 World Series.

A few minutes later, he did get the year right on the third try.
    Yeah, that's ridiculous. There was no 1994 World Series.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

While in reminiscing mode today, he mentioned twice how Mel Stottlemyre came out of the minors to help the Yankees make it to the 1994 World Series.

A few minutes later, he did get the year right on the third try.
    Right, and if a caller made the same point he would say: "THIS ISN'T 1964. THE GAME HAS CHANGED!!!!"
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Pretty sure some newspaper ran a computer sim playoffs that fall and the Yankees defeated the Expos in the World Series. I don't know if Mel pitched in it though.

Pretty sure some newspaper ran a computer sim playoffs that fall and the Yankees defeated the Expos in the World Series. I don't know if Mel pitched in it though.
    Hey, he was 9-3 down the stretch either way.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Don't know where else to place this ... Oh the PAIN, bro!

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...fan-1.19980331

WFAN sports talk host Joe Benigno has been placed on leave in the wake of a civil lawsuit that accuses him of sexually harassing a former CBS Radio co-worker, according to a company memo obtained by Newsday.

NYYF Legend

No kidding. Everything stopped for the war.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Don't know where else to place this ... Oh the PAIN, bro!

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...fan-1.19980331
    If he's fired that's one less Mets fan on that station.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    If he's fired that's one less Mets fan on that station.
    Who Chernoff will likely replace with another Mets fan who is less fair to the Yankees than Benigno has become the last several years. WFAN brought in a whole "triumvirate" (a big word around the Mets these days) of Mets fans when Francesa "retired."

Just wondering, how many Yankee fans yak on WFAN these days?

Francesa (regular)
    Jastremski (semi-regular on overnights, plus fill-in duty)
    Moore (fill-in)

Am I missing anyone? "WFAN -- the flagship of the Yankees, but we really like the Mets."

Who Chernoff will likely replace with another Mets fan who is less fair to the Yankees than Benigno has become the last several years. WFAN brought in a whole "triumvirate" (a big word around the Mets these days) of Mets fans when Francesa "retired."

Francesa (regular)
    Moore (fill-in)

Am I missing anyone? "WFAN -- the flagship of the Yankees, but we really like the Mets."
    I've heard good things about Jastremski, but never heard him on WFAN.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I've heard good things about Jastremski, but never heard him on WFAN.
    Yeah, if you look upthread he is controversial but I like him. Common complaints are forced NY accent and forced enthusiasm. I actually agree, but that's got to be better than some of the fossils they trot out, I mean Lori Rubenson? Tony Paige?:

Paige: Aaron Judge hit a walkoff homer tonight ... pretty good hitting huh? ... Kid's got magic. That's what it is, he's got magic. Some hitters have it, some don't. Like some boxers. Sugar Ray Robinson had it. Muhammad Ali had it of course. Kid I saw working out in Gleason's Gym tonight seemed to have it. Rafael Barbisol. Remember that name. Middleweight. Good kid. Big boxing card in the Garden tomorrow. Featherweight championship on the line. We'll talk about it after the update with Harris Allen.

Then there is the egregious Steve Somers, who basically is the guy warming up Shecky Greene at Grossingers in 1965. Sheesh.

Jastremski isn't appointment radio but I'd take him over a lot of what WFAN puts out there.

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Francesa (regular)
    Moore (fill-in)

Even at that, Francesa has been very Met-friendly the past few years, and seemingly a fan of them as well. His kids (and I believe his wife) are Mets fans, and if I'm not mistaken, he has season tickets to their games as well. Where he once showed dislike for the Mets in the past, he now shows more passion and compassion.

Can WFAN please find a reason to fire Boomer and Gio? They are the absolute worst of the morning-evening lineup. I'll take CMB, the annoying trio, over them. From what little I hear of them (sometimes during lunch), they've seemed to improve.

Yeah, if you look upthread he is controversial but I like him. Common complaints are forced NY accent and forced enthusiasm. I actually agree, but that's got to be better than some of the fossils they trot out, I mean Lori Rubenson? Tony Paige?:

Paige: Aaron Judge hit a walkoff homer tonight ... pretty good hitting huh? ... Kid's got magic. That's what it is, he's got magic. Some hitters have it, some don't. Like some boxers. Sugar Ray Robinson had it. Muhammad Ali had it of course. Kid I saw working out in Gleason's Gym tonight seemed to have it. Rafael Barbisol. Remember that name. Middleweight. Good kid. Big boxing card in the Garden tomorrow. Featherweight championship on the line. We'll talk about it after the update with Harris Allen.

Then there is the egregious Steve Somers, who basically is the guy warming up Shecky Greene at Grossingers in 1965. Sheesh.

Jastremski isn't appointment radio but I'd take him over a lot of what WFAN puts out there.

Jastremski is pretty good, but doesn't he realize that New Yorkers know an over-the-top NY accent when they hear one? Sounds like a forced Benigno/Mad Dog combo. Melancynic nailed it upthread, saying something like he sounds like a Brit actor *trying* to do a native NYC accent. I agree with him. See Russell Crowe.

Your Tony Paige impressions kill me. They are spot on. I can't listen to him for more than a few minutes. I think I last listened to him like 5 years ago. When he got into boxing I tuned out. Worst was when some boxer nobody ever heard of or cared about passed away. He'd devote the entire show to him.

Somers is a goof. He's so bad that he can be fun to listen to in small doses. However, he pours on the Met love and Yankee hate and it seems disingenuous IMO. I truly think he's an SF Giants fan (born and raised there), but plays up to his audience and the rivalry. WFAN was the Met station when he first got there and he sucked up to them from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Your Tony Paige impressions kill me. They are spot on. I can't listen to him for more than a few minutes. I think I last listened to him like 5 years ago. When he got into boxing I tuned out. Worst was when some boxer nobody ever heard of or cared about passed away. He'd devote the entire show to him.
    Sounds like what Joe Franklin used to do with singers and comedians who never made it past Hoboken.

NYYF Legend

I used to listen to WFAN, but I haven't listened to them for almost a decade. I found that both the callers and the personalities to be totally uninteresting. I could care less if Francesca in on the air or not. I didn't find him especially knowledgeable about baseball

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Sounds like what Joe Franklin used to do with singers and comedians who never made it past Hoboken.
    I'll PM you a Joe Franklin story tonight. No need to bore anyone else besides you with it.

I'll PM you a Joe Franklin story tonight. No need to bore anyone else besides you with it.
    Joe Franklin? Boring?
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Somers is a goof. He's so bad that he can be fun to listen to in small doses. However, he pours on the Met love and Yankee hate and it seems disingenuous IMO. I truly think he's an SF Giants fan (born and raised there), but plays up to his audience and the rivalry. WFAN was the Met station when he first got there and he sucked up to them from the very beginning.
    Spot on. When WFAN first went on the air in July 1987 on the 1050 AM frequency, they carried the Mets and had already secured Knicks/Rangers rights for that autumn. Somers jumped into full suckup mode and became a "fan" of every team on WFAN at that moment in time. (don't think they had rights to either NFL team back then, which explains why he doesn't have a clear football favorite.)

I am very (admittedly VERY) tenuously connected to that business. There has always been a rumor around that Somers keeps his job because he NEVER asks for a raise. Sort of like why Columbia Pictures kept the Three Stooges so long. who knows. I do know that WFAN is a cheap station that only spends money on Francesa so decide for yourself.

NYYF Legend

Joe Franklin? Boring?
    was it Billy Crystal who used to do Joe Franklin on SNL? Bad for most of the country but gold if you were from NY

Spot on. When WFAN first went on the air in July 1987 on the 1050 AM frequency, they carried the Mets and had already secured Knicks/Rangers rights for that autumn. Somers jumped into full suckup mode and became a "fan" of every team on WFAN at that moment in time. (don't think they had rights to either NFL team back then, which explains why he doesn't have a clear football favorite.)

I am very (admittedly VERY) tenuously connected to that business. There has always been a rumor around that Somers keeps his job because he NEVER asks for a raise. Sort of like why Columbia Pictures kept the Three Stooges so long. who knows. I do know that WFAN is a cheap station that only spends money on Francesa so decide for yourself.
    Didn't Somers get fired a few years back (along with Salzburg) but Jerry Seinfeld intervened on his behalf. I somehow vaguely remember hearing that story.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Didn't Somers get fired a few years back (along with Salzburg) but Jerry Seinfeld intervened on his behalf. I somehow vaguely remember hearing that story.
    Correct. He wasn't "fired" in the sense of bad behavior, the management at the time just didn't think he was offering a lot. Seinfeld asked them to reconsider on the idea that Somers has a "cult" following so why not keep him in some capacity. They went along with it. About 15 years ago I think.

Seinfeld like Somers is a Met fan. The whole "George Costanza on the Yankees" thing was intended to make the Yankees look ridiculous but because the show was so well done, even Yankee fans love that story arc (maybe more than other fans actually).

I wonder if there's any existing footage of GMSIII taping an appearance on Seinfeld. He was supposed to play himself in one episode, displacing Larry David for one week. The scenes were shot. Then George messed up and blabbed details of his upcoming appearance to The Fabulous Sports Babe (remember her?). Seinfeld was very strict about actors not divulging details of an episode before it aired. So George got "deleted" and Larry David subbed back in.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I used to listen to WFAN, but I haven't listened to them for almost a decade. I found that both the callers and the personalities to be totally uninteresting. I could care less if Francesca in on the air or not. I didn't find him especially knowledgeable about baseball

Andy
    This. Callers: “let’s trade Ellsbury and Gray for Trout”. Announcers: “what does that have to do with the Mets?”
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Saw him at Yank fan fest said glad he's back. Cannot stand Kay and the all my right opinion bald guy on his show too. Don is good as likes Rangers.

Joe Franklin? Boring?
    SNL in the late 1970's/early 1980's used to lift shows and skits on a regular basis from Uncle Floyd. Floyd started out as a kids TV show on UHF Channel 68 and soon directed the show at teens and young adults. One of the characters was "Joe Frankfurter" ...which was later copied/changed for SNL. Joe Franklin sued Uncle Floyd and lost .

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/03/n...ibel-case.html

Three years ago, she noted, Mr. Franklin had lost a similar $35 million libel suit against a Newark television personality named ''Uncle Floyd,'' who in various skits had depicted a talk show host named ''Joe Frankfurter'' who wore a garbage pail over his head and was constantly interrupting his celebrity guests. Mr. Franklin ''has set himself up as censor, screening out those parodies of him or his 'act' which he finds disagreeable,''

One Thursday, Floyd did a skit called "The Village Pimples". Two nights later SNL did "The Village Idiots" . Not only did SNL watch Floyd, but so did Robin Williams, Richard Nixon(?) and David Bowie to name a few.

If Francessa was around then, Floyd would have made fun of him too.

I wonder if there's any existing footage of GMSIII taping an appearance on Seinfeld. He was supposed to play himself in one episode, displacing Larry David for one week.
    I don't know about footage, but

Thread Information