+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

I know he doesn’t get much love and has an ego the size of the Atlantic, but I’m glad he’s coming back. Always found him to be entertaining and he can at least talk about NY sports history. At least there won’t be the annoying and boring Carlin, Gray and Scott threesome on the airways during drive time.

I also cannot stand Boomer and any of his co-hosts with their forced, fake fights and contrived locker room talk/humor. I don’t think I ever laughed once at Boomer and Carton or the new guy. Give their slot to Joe and Evan.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/media...fan-1.18231660

https://nypost.com/2018/04/24/the-ea...d-wfan-return/

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

All the WFAN hosts are Mets fans so getting Francesa back changes that somewhat.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I know he doesnít get much love and has an ego the size of the Atlantic, but Iím glad heís coming back. Always found him to be entertaining and he can at least talk about NY sports history. At least there wonít be the annoying and boring Carlin, Gray and Scott threesome on the airways during drive time.

I also cannot stand Boomer and any of his co-hosts with their forced, fake fights and contrived locker room talk/humor. I donít think I ever laughed once at Boomer and Carton or the new guy. Give their slot to Joe and Evan.

Perhaps he followed sports during his time off. That could only help.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    All the WFAN hosts are Mets fans so getting Francesa back changes that somewhat.
    You are so right.

After the Mets’ first loss, the threesome spent 3 hours whining about it and figuring out who to blame. It was as if the Mets lost the 7th game of the World Series. No exaggeration. I’m also tired of Carlin’s attempts at trying to start some kind of controversy and Scott alway crowbarring in something about Detroit, his birthplace, as if the NY audience cares.

Edit: I just realized that you moved to Michigan so maybe you care. Joking.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Perhaps he followed sports during his time off. That could only help.
    Even if he didnít, heís still an improvement over CMB. Plus, heís fun to goof on.

I also cannot stand MICHAEL KAY and any of his co-hosts with their forced, fake fights and contrived locker room talk/humor.
    FTFY. The Kay show has gotten unbearable with this crap and, yes, the Boomer show with that turd Gio somehow actually got worse after Carton. They should have just stuck with Jerry Recco as the co-host. Hell, he didn't even have to be a co-host. I thought they had a good dynamic before they brought Gio on.

As for Francesca, after his year long farewell tour I think this is a bad look for him. I assume the ratings for Carlin and Co weren't that great so it's probably more about the station wanting to bring him back but I'm sure a lot of people are going to be a bit bent out of shape.

That said I hope he crushes TMKS.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Even if he didnít, heís still an improvement over CMB. Plus, heís fun to goof on.
    Exactly...great to goof on...uh
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Honestly, I can't listen to regular radio. More breaks and commercials than an NFL game.

They don't need updates every 20 minutes. Everyone has the internet in their pocket. They could talk about important or breaking news as part of the talk show.

So, it doesn't matter to me who is on WFAN, I'm not a listener.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

You are so right.

After the Metsí first loss, the threesome spent 3 hours whining about it and figuring out who to blame. It was as if the Mets lost the 7th game of the World Series. No exaggeration. Iím also tired of Carlinís attempts at trying to start some kind of controversy and Scott alway crowbarring in something about Detroit, his birthplace, as if the NY audience cares.

Carlin is easily the weakest link on that team. His whiny voice alone should have precluded him from ever being an on-air personality. Bart is a meathead jock whose "tell it like it is" schtick got old real fast to me. I thought Maggie, though, was doing a pretty decent job. She's pretty quick on her feet and seems to be able to hang with the boys, so to speak.

In all, though, I didn't think their show was all that bad. I only listen to them during my drive him though which is about 40 minutes. I maybe listen to them for about 20 minutes on average.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

You are so right.

After the Metsí first loss, the threesome spent 3 hours whining about it and figuring out who to blame. It was as if the Mets lost the 7th game of the World Series. No exaggeration. Iím also tired of Carlinís attempts at trying to start some kind of controversy and Scott alway crowbarring in something about Detroit, his birthplace, as if the NY audience cares.

I live in Michigan, but my heart is the NYC Metro area. I listen to WFAN and NY ESPN daily as there is no need for transistor radios trying to pick up a 50,000 watt station late at night.

I don't understand the Michael Kay hatred, but whatever.

I didn't even know he was gone. Shows you how often I've listened to him throughout the years.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I like his show. Didnít like Rosenberg at first but heís grown on me.

Whatever respect I had for Francesca just disappeared. This is eerily reminiscent of the douchebag move Jay Leno pulled on Conan OíBrien a few years ago.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Cy Young

I would occasionally listen to him for the same reason I can't look away from car wrecks, a morbid curiosity how bad it could be. But if people here like him, listen and enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Whatever respect I had for Francesca just disappeared. This is eerily reminiscent of the douchebag move Jay Leno pulled on Conan OíBrien a few years ago.
    I donít understand how someone can have an 18 month retirement tour, accept gifts, sell tickets to events and come back three months later.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I donít understand how someone can have an 18 month retirement tour, accept gifts, sell tickets to events and come back three months later.
    He is like the athletes that he mocked on his show. He totally misread the market and when no one else wanted him he came back to the FAN with his tail between his legs.

NYYF Legend

I know he doesn’t get much love and has an ego the size of the Atlantic, but I’m glad he’s coming back. Always found him to be entertaining and he can at least talk about NY sports history.
    Agree, it's Joni Mitchell Syndrome, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone." Well past his prime but when you consider what they put in his place .... ugh.

Don't understand why they didn't at least test-drive Benigno and Roberts in that slot and let this newbie untested trio cut their teeth in midday for possible promotion if Joe and Evan failed ... but not my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    They don't need updates every 20 minutes. Everyone has the internet in their pocket.
    AM radio still exists in NYC because it is a commuter city. With a ton of traffic. And some people do observe the law and not consult their phones while driving.

Of course it is admittedly not the goldmine it once was which is why you get sports tout and stop-snoring scam ads when they do go to breaks, they'll take anyone's ad.

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I thought Maggie, though, was doing a pretty decent job. She's pretty quick on her feet and seems to be able to hang with the boys, so to speak.
    She's the best of the three I thought. IMO they should consider her for the 7-midnight "Yankee wraparound" slot and kick ultra-tired act "Schmoozer" back to overnight where he belongs (if he belongs anywhere).

I don't HATE him (dislike is a better word) but he is terribly overexposed on YES I think. TMKS, CenterStage, Yankee pregame, Yankee postgame, Yankee games, he's like Krusty the Klown on Springfield TV, you can't get away from him on YES. Speaks well to his well-known work ethic but ....

Yes I can change the channel and I do. But presumably YES would like me to stay. They're not helping that by being The Michael Kay Network. Right now if you want to watch YES you almost have to wait for "Sex Pills For Men, Do They Work?" infomercial at 2 a.m. to get away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Whatever respect I had for Francesca just disappeared. This is eerily reminiscent of the douchebag move Jay Leno pulled on Conan O’Brien a few years ago.
    I hear you. The difference is Conan is an actual talent, would have been very good at the Tonight Show long-term, IMO better than Smirky-Grin who's there now. This is a jerk move by Francesa, yes, but ... Unlike the Leno move, at least this time the audience are the winners.
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 04-24-18 at 11:51 PM.

NYYF Legend

I don’t understand how someone can have an 18 month retirement tour, accept gifts, sell tickets to events and come back three months later.
    AM radio is now a niche market and he is good at getting the (comparatively) small pool of remaining listeners. If you're saying this means he's not an admirable guy, we figured that already I think.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    He is like the athletes that he mocked on his show. He totally misread the market and when no one else wanted him he came back to the FAN with his tail between his legs.
    Got some insights/news on his contract terms? I doubt he's coming back "tail between legs" at all. I'm guessing Chernoff is the one with tail between legs, maybe they found out "CMB" is about to get plowed in the next ratings book?
    Last edited by HelloNewman; 04-24-18 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Agree, it's Joni Mitchell Syndrome, "you don't know what you've got till it's gone." Well past his prime but when you consider what they put in his place .... ugh.

Don't understand why they didn't at least test-drive Benigno and Roberts in that slot and let this newbie untested trio cut their teeth in midday for possible promotion if Joe and Evan failed ... but not my problem.

AM radio still exists in NYC because it is a commuter city. With a ton of traffic. And some people do observe the law and not consult their phones while driving.

Of course it is admittedly not the goldmine it once was which is why you get sports tout and stop-snoring scam ads when they do go to breaks, they'll take anyone's ad.

She's the best of the three I thought. IMO they should consider her for the 7-midnight "Yankee wraparound" slot and kick ultra-tired act "Schmoozer" back to overnight where he belongs (if he belongs anywhere).

I don't HATE him (dislike is a better word) but he is terribly overexposed on YES I think. TMKS, CenterStage, Yankee pregame, Yankee postgame, Yankee games, he's like Krusty the Klown on Springfield TV, you can't get away from him on YES. Speaks well to his well-known work ethic but ....

Yes I can change the channel and I do. But presumably YES would like me to stay. They're not helping that by being The Michael Kay Network. Right now if you want to watch YES you almost have to wait for "Sex Pills For Men, Do They Work?" infomercial at 2 a.m. to get away from him.

I hear you. The difference is Conan is an actual talent, would have been very good at the Tonight Show long-term, IMO better than Smirky-Grin who's there now. This is a jerk move by Francesa, yes, but ... Unlike the Leno move, at least this time the audience are the winners.
    Well-put. Agree with most, if not all of your sentiments, though I don’t mind Kay as much, even with his being way over-exposed. At times I just tune him out. For the most part, I find him comforting, simply because he’s the familiar voice of our Yanks; kind of a security blanket.

I know he doesnít get much love and has an ego the size of the Atlantic, but Iím glad heís coming back. Always found him to be entertaining and he can at least talk about NY sports history. At least there wonít be the annoying and boring Carlin, Gray and Scott threesome on the airways during drive time.

I also cannot stand Boomer and any of his co-hosts with their forced, fake fights and contrived locker room talk/humor. I donít think I ever laughed once at Boomer and Carton or the new guy. Give their slot to Joe and Evan.

I second that emotion in full.

As Chris Russo said on the air yesterday, ďa horseís fanny.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    As Chris Russo said on the air yesterday, ďa horseís fanny.Ē
    LOL. BTW I agree with majority that CMB was close to unlistenable. There was no chemistry between the three and the baseball expertise was lacking.

NYYF Legend

I don't listen to sports radio much but I had to post this just for the headline:

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2...neless_me.html

Mike Francesa is a jerk and WFAN is a spineless mess
    I do think Mike is a jerk. That said, I hate Kay and cannot imagine listening to him one more second than I already have to.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Michael Kay is retweeting every tweet kissing his butt. Very sad.

I do agree Francesa is a jerk, but I canít stand Kay even more.

Thread Information