+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Ha ha I never noticed that.

My favorite Sterling name-butchering was Eduardo Nunez, who he would insist on calling NYOON-ez instead of the proper NOON-yez. What made it great is you could tell it drove Suzyn up a tree too, but because of their weird relationship, not only was she reluctant to correct him on the air, she apparently didn't feel comfortable correcting him off the air either, so she'd try to drop "hints."

Sterling: "And there's a base hit for Nyoon-ez, hey Suzyn he's quite a player."

Waldman: "Yeah you can just see NOON-YEZ getting more comfortable with each at bat. Kevin Long has been working with NOON-YEZ every day and NOON-YEZ is clearly growing as a hitter."

Sterling: "You bet, that's the second hit for Nyoon-ez...."

It was funny.
    Hilarious man.

1. Because I can recall that type of interchange re: Nunez and..
    2. Because Suzyn did the exact same thing last night. Purposely but subtly saying Gattis correctly every time Sterling butchered it.

Ha ha I never noticed that.

My favorite Sterling name-butchering was Eduardo Nunez, who he would insist on calling NYOON-ez instead of the proper NOON-yez. What made it great is you could tell it drove Suzyn up a tree too, but because of their weird relationship, not only was she reluctant to correct him on the air, she apparently didn't feel comfortable correcting him off the air either, so she'd try to drop "hints."

Sterling: "And there's a base hit for Nyoon-ez, hey Suzyn he's quite a player."

Waldman: "Yeah you can just see NOON-YEZ getting more comfortable with each at bat. Kevin Long has been working with NOON-YEZ every day and NOON-YEZ is clearly growing as a hitter."

Sterling: "You bet, that's the second hit for Nyoon-ez...."

It was funny.
    He's also always pronounced Encarnación with a nasalized "n" at the end, as if it were a French name.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I listen to the Michael Kay show but I did tune in to Francesca on his first day back. The take away for me is Francesca came back on a reduced schedule for a couple of years to help launch and promote his app which he is partners with the parent company of the FAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I listen to the Michael Kay show but I did tune in to Francesca on his first day back. The take away for me is Francesca came back on a reduced schedule for a couple of years to help launch and promote his app which he is partners with the parent company of the FAN.
    And he pulled this before -- minus the grand retirement tour -- where he talked about this revolutionary app/project a few years ago that would change the whole landscape of sports radio. I don't think anything ever came of it, which was amusing.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Co-signed. Nobody is more impressed with Boomer than Boomer. He still thinks he beat Joe Montana in Super Bowl XXIII.

True but that's free radio for ya. Satellite's out there if you want to pay. Always been like that going back to ... who was it? Rayburn and Finch in the 1940s. AM radio = lotsa ads.
    Russo's channel on satellite has commercials too.

I don't get why Francesa didn't just start a podcast. More people are listening on demand than ever before and it's been proven one can make a living off of doing a podcast. I guess he really does like having people call in though which I don't think has been done successfully with an internet show.

NYYF Legend

Francesa is the worst sports jock in NYC bar none. He is so wrong on his opinion on the Giants are did irrepairable harm when he attacked the organization for the correct decision to bench Eli during a lost season. His "grab the pitchfork" mob followers forced the Giants to abandon a their plans, fire their GM and head coach and is why the Giants have no clue what they have with Davis Webb outside of practice.

The crazy thing is that they rarely ever discuss the Giants on WFAN!
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    His "grab the pitchfork" mob followers forced the Giants to abandon a their plans, fire their GM and head coach and is why the Giants have no clue what they have with Davis Webb outside of practice.
    His "grab the pitchfork" followers didn't force them to play Geno Smith over Webb the week they did bench Eli. Maybe if Webb plays a good one instead of the perpetually inept Geno they would have had a better chance to get away with the benching.

Francesa is the worst sports jock in NYC bar none. He is so wrong on his opinion on the Giants are did irrepairable harm when he attacked the organization for the correct decision to bench Eli during a lost season. His "grab the pitchfork" mob followers forced the Giants to abandon a their plans, fire their GM and head coach and is why the Giants have no clue what they have with Davis Webb outside of practice.
    There's no way you actually believe any of this, right?

The crazy thing is that they rarely ever discuss the Giants on WFAN!
    Correct decision to bench Eli? For Geno freaking Smith? You could justify it for Webb(seeing what the kid has, yada yada yada), but not for Smith.

Fire their GM? Very well deserved. Fire McAdoodoo? Most deserved. It's unfathomable how incompetent he was.

You're way, way off on this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    There's no way you actually believe any of this, right?
    I think it contributed to the outrage which lead to the firing that Mara wanted to wait till the end of the season to do. Other sports writers were also outraged but none of them were as influential to the masses at Francesspool.

To answer HelloNewman yes it would have been better to go with Webb over Smith and I think that was part of McAdoo's plan for the final 2 games.

Bottom lines is they still would have ended up with the 2nd overall pick no matter who was the QB but couldn't properly evaluated Webb in those meaningless games once Mara and Spags caved.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Correct decision to bench Eli? For Geno freaking Smith? You could justify it for Webb(seeing what the kid has, yada yada yada), but not for Smith.

Fire their GM? Very well deserved. Fire McAdoodoo? Most deserved. It's unfathomable how incompetent he was.

You're way, way off on this.
    Reese was fired because he completely ignored the major issues the team had and these issues were almost immediately exposed by the injury to OBJ.

I was very happy to see Coughlin go and McAdoo given a chance. I was way off on the 2nd part. He was not up to the job in any way. He was afraid of and lost the respect of most of the team and seem to choose Eli as the one guy on the team he could blame/bully.

While Francesa may be uber-pompous and wrong about most things all while thinking he is 1000% right, he wasn't wrong about the way the Giants treated Eli and that Reese and McAdoo needed to go yesterday.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Reese was fired because he completely ignored the major issues the team had and these issues were almost immediately exposed by the injury to OBJ.

I was very happy to see Coughlin go and McAdoo given a chance. I was way off on the 2nd part. He was not up to the job in any way. He was afraid of and lost the respect of most of the team and seem to choose Eli as the one guy on the team he could blame/bully.

While Francesa may be uber-pompous and wrong about most things all while thinking he is 1000% right, he wasn't wrong about the way the Giants treated Eli and that Reese and McAdoo needed to go yesterday.
    Yes but Mara never fires mid-season. The plan was to let him go at the end of the season and Fatcesa lit fuel to the fire forcing the decision 4 weeks early. Eli was not the only guy blamed. What about DRC, Apple and Jenkins. All guys who quit on t he field, stormed away from coaches and flipped out when pointed put their flaws on film. Eli is not blameless and is completely overrated by fans and media who still think it's 2011. He is careless with the ball making boneheaded plays and kills drives with his fumbles. He played like a rookie last year instead of a 14 year vet.

I agree on Coughlin and Mac. Right decision, wrong head coach.

Fatcesa was not 1000% right! Geno was no better and no worse than Eli. When you are a 2 win season with 5 games to go you should be trying out new players including QB. His loud rant and over the top. Fatcesa has always favored vets over kids "They're going to bench Bernie and call up Cano!" was one of his stupid rants that turned out to be way off,. He is part of the delusional group of people that still think Eli is the guy who wins super bowls.

Fatcesa is the worst. Didn't miss him when he was gone, won't listen while he's back. I will recommend you all follow https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis though on Twitter. Hilarious account.

NYYF Legend

Michael Kay missed an opportunity. He should have had Al Albuquerque as his guest against Mikey Fs first day back.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Michael Kay missed an opportunity. He should have had Al Albuquerque as his guest against Mikey Fs first day back.
    Or Jason Hirsh.

He's back but big names at WFAN such as Boomer Esiason said the Executives were "screwed by a guy who said he was never going to be on this radio station again"

https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/wfan-m...ancesa-return/

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Guys like Mushnick and Raissman LOVE that he is back - unending reservoir of material.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by NYY27champs View Post
    He's back but big names at WFAN such as Boomer Esiason said the Executives were "screwed by a guy who said he was never going to be on this radio station again"

https://nypost.com/2018/04/25/wfan-m...ancesa-return/
    Do you realize this article is 2 weeks old? Not exactly breaking news here.

Threw 95 today...just working his way back to 100. A Mets debacle is always one to send him over the edge. Strange considering he's a Yankee fan but meh.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Threw 95 today...just working his way back to 100. A Mets debacle is always one to send him over the edge. Strange considering he's a Yankee fan but meh.
    No one rants like Francesa. Great entertainment...especially when it's about someone else's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    No one rants like Francesa. Great entertainment...especially when it's about someone else's team.
    When it comes to rants, Mike has nothing on his former partner. The Giants rant 15 years ago is my all-time favorite rant by any sports radio host at about the 7 minute mark it begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzAZ25hEi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivMtq5T7K64

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    When it comes to rants, Mike has nothing on his former partner. The Giants rant 15 years ago is my all-time favorite rant by any sports radio host at about the 7 minute mark it begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzAZ25hEi4

"Andy Pettitte is a starting pitcher!" is a classic.

Said something interesting yesterday. He said obviously teams need good pitching, but teams today are built around young athletic players. It’s obvious, and true. I just never thought of it like that because pitching is the most important part of a team
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Said something interesting yesterday. He said obviously teams need good pitching, but teams today are built around young athletic players. It’s obvious, and true. I just never thought of it like that because pitching is the most important part of a team
    Que? Tell that to Jake deGrom and the Mets.

This is hardly a revelation. You need both.

Thread Information