+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    It was confirmed by multiple FAN hosts on the air. Jerome was legendary, for sure.

IMO they didn't need more time. They were awful individually and as a group. Even when Francesa and Russo hated (and sniped at) each other in the beginning, they were still knowledgeable and compelling radio. This was a joke of a hire. Again, 3 people hosting a radio show is (at least) one too many, especially when there's zero chemistry as there is in this case.

I agree and the fact that their ratings got worse each month validated that listeners were tuning out. From a business perspective bringing back Francesca was a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I think Mikes knowledge has slipped as heís gotten older, but I still find him entertaining and Iím glad heís coming back. Pretty much the only thing tolerable with the Afternoon Drive IMO is Bart talking about football.

I donít like the MKS. Does anyone do a better interview than Francesa?
    All of this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I think Mikes knowledge has slipped as heís gotten older, but I still find him entertaining and Iím glad heís coming back. Pretty much the only thing tolerable with the Afternoon Drive IMO is Bart talking about football
    CMB or whatever they call it sucks. It's terrible and cringeworthy, but Francesa isn't any better. The guy is a self appointed know-it-all when in reality he's out of touch and delusional, not to mention falls asleep in his chair on most days. I can never have any respect for a blowhard like him who treats his callers so badly and intentionally seeks to humiliate them to make himself look better.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    CMB or whatever they call it sucks. It's terrible and cringeworthy, but Francesa isn't any better.
    Yes, yes he is.

Francesa is a d.b. to callers and is hilariously full of himself. However, he's still a good radio guy and knowledgeable in the sports that matter most to me: baseball/football. CMB are none of these and are a mess.

When there's a big sports moment -- the NFL draft's first round last week -- I still want to know what Mike thinks. I may not agree with it but I respect his opinion. I have no such feeling for his replacements. I do respect Bart's football knowledge but he also is the same guy who insisted Leonard Williams is an "elite" player. I'm a diehard Jets fan and still believe in Leo long term. He's never been elite (yet)

NYYF Legend

He was knowledgeable 10 years ago before he started going senile, and even then he was painful to listen to

https://nypost.com/2018/04/30/a-rod-...-decision/amp/

Michael Kay rips A-rod for his decision to be on Francesa's return show tomorrow.

Francesa was always a huge part of the Yankee dynasty years, especially in 1996. If you were a Yankees fan, he was a must listen. I always considered him to be a good luck charm (remember Pink Cadillac?) in the post season.

As much as the manner in which he left and then returned to the FAN was a dick move, but because of the above I'll always have somewhat of a soft spot for him. Plus, Francesa, even on his worst day, is a much better listen than the God-awful Carlin, Bart and Maggie show.

Designated for Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Another regular who passed away was Vinny from queens. Heard he died in a car accident.
    Yes, I heard about that. Always enjoyed listening to his calls too.

I donít listen to WFAN much anymore. I live in the Adirondacks now and reception is intermittent.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Slightly off topic, but during my morning drive I tried listening to Boomer and Gio again. Their constant, forced laughter made them unlistenable. I swear, I don't think I ever chuckled or even smiled at any of their (Boomer and Carton and Boomer and Gio) antics.

I suppose that the common denominator is Boomer. He truly sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Slightly off topic, but during my morning drive I tried listening to Boomer and Gio again. Their constant, forced laughter made them unlistenable. I swear, I don't think I ever chuckled or even smiled at any of their (Boomer and Carton and Boomer and Gio) antics.

I agree, I've never been able to get into that show. I used to like Mike and Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/04/30/a-rod-...-decision/amp/

Michael Kay rips A-rod for his decision to be on Francesa's return show tomorrow.
    Who cares? Pathetic attempt at a ratings grab. Everyone knows A-Rod is boys with Francesa.

Francesa was always a huge part of the Yankee dynasty years, especially in 1996. If you were a Yankees fan, he was a must listen. I always considered him to be a good luck charm (remember Pink Cadillac?) in the post season.

As much as the manner in which he left and then returned to the FAN was a dick move, but because of the above I'll always have somewhat of a soft spot for him. Plus, Francesa, even on his worst day, is a much better listen than the God-awful Carlin, Bart and Maggie show.

THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I donít listen to WFAN much anymore. I live in the Adirondacks now and reception is intermittent.
    Hit up ADK at least once a year. Special place. Whereabouts are you?

Who cares? Pathetic attempt at a ratings grab. Everyone knows A-Rod is boys with Francesa.
    Coincidentally Kay is interviewing Didi at the same time as the ARod interview.

NYYF Legend

Boomer's morning spot is the best show on WFAN, so long as he has a co-host. By himself he's boring but with a sidekick it really works. Gio is fine, showed that Carton was completely replaceable

Boomer's morning spot is the best show on WFAN, so long as he has a co-host. By himself he's boring but with a sidekick it really works. Gio is fine, showed that Carton was completely replaceable
    Joe and Evan are light-years better. Boomer is awful. Gio is worse.

Francesa just called A-Rod "Eli"

NYYF Legend

Joe and Evan are light-years better. Boomer is awful. Gio is worse.
    Joe and Evan are a second to Boomer & Fill-in the-blank. But Humpty & Canty beat them all by a mile

Joe and Evan are a second to Boomer & Fill-in the-blank. But Humpty & Canty beat them all by a mile
    Dear God, Canty is terrible on anything outside of NFL and hearing his co-host say "aboot" once a sentence is unlistenable.

You're the first person I met who is a Boomer fan. lol. Didn't know you existed. Not sure what he offers on the air.

Designated for Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic

Hit up ADK at least once a year. Special place. Whereabouts are you?
    Saranac Lake - absolutely love it here although winters are pretty brutal, especially if you’re not into skiing and outdoor winter sports (which I’m not).

Otherwise, a very special place indeed. While I don’t miss the hustle and bustle of NYC, I’d give anything for a slice of Sicilian. On the plus side, we’ve got some great micro-breweries up here. LOL
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Dear God, Canty is terrible on anything outside of NFL and hearing his co-host say "aboot" once a sentence is unlistenable.

You're the first person I met who is a Boomer fan. lol. Didn't know you existed. Not sure what he offers on the air.
    Well I have to exist somewhere, the Boomer and FillinTheBlank show beats ESPN's morning show by 250% in ratings

An hour of WFAN programming

Commercial :00-:06
    Content :06-:16
    Commercial :16-:25
    Content :25-37
    Commercial :37-46
    Content :46-54
    Commercial :54-:05

NYYF Legend

Co-signed. Nobody is more impressed with Boomer than Boomer. He still thinks he beat Joe Montana in Super Bowl XXIII.

Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post

True but that's free radio for ya. Satellite's out there if you want to pay. Always been like that going back to ... who was it? Rayburn and Finch in the 1940s. AM radio = lotsa ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Saranac Lake - absolutely love it here although winters are pretty brutal, especially if you’re not into skiing and outdoor winter sports (which I’m not).

Otherwise, a very special place indeed. While I don’t miss the hustle and bustle of NYC, I’d give anything for a slice of Sicilian. On the plus side, we’ve got some great micro-breweries up here. LOL
    Awesome. Been going to Lake Placid and Tupper Lake since I was a kid. That Tri-Lakes region is the best. Driving up that hill on 73 in good weather you can literally taste the clean air compared to the NYC area. I love it here but yeah, it is a great escape. Stayed at the Whiteface Lodge last winter and it's like being in another world.

Well I have to exist somewhere, the Boomer and FillinTheBlank show beats ESPN's morning show by 250% in ratings
    haha. Good point.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by #4 View Post

It's awful. And there is absolutely nothing worse in the entire radio universe than Yankees pregame and postgame shows. You should take a log of the commercials there, makes you want to shoot yourself. I refuse to listen to a single second of the Yankees broadcast unless the game is underway

It's awful. And there is absolutely nothing worse in the entire radio universe than Yankees pregame and postgame shows. You should take a log of the commercials there, makes you want to shoot yourself. I refuse to listen to a single second of the Yankees broadcast unless the game is underway
    Even then I only listen if I'm stuck in the car and cannot get the opposing broadcast team.

Hearing Sterling call Evan Gattis by "GOT-is" about 100 times was nails on a chalkboard.

But those pre/post shows are absolute ear aches.

NYYF Legend

Hearing Sterling call Evan Gattis by "GOT-is" about 100 times was nails on a chalkboard.
    Ha ha I never noticed that.

My favorite Sterling name-butchering was Eduardo Nunez, who he would insist on calling NYOON-ez instead of the proper NOON-yez. What made it great is you could tell it drove Suzyn up a tree too, but because of their weird relationship, not only was she reluctant to correct him on the air, she apparently didn't feel comfortable correcting him off the air either, so she'd try to drop "hints."

Sterling: "And there's a base hit for Nyoon-ez, hey Suzyn he's quite a player."

Waldman: "Yeah you can just see NOON-YEZ getting more comfortable with each at bat. Kevin Long has been working with NOON-YEZ every day and NOON-YEZ is clearly growing as a hitter."

Sterling: "You bet, that's the second hit for Nyoon-ez...."

It was funny.

Thread Information