+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

I enjoy the Kay show to be honest. I used to listen often at my old job, especially because I would commute via car. I haven't listened in quite some time tho.

I hate Fatcesa.

NYYF Legend

I greatly prefer Michael Kay over Francesa. At least Kay sounds like a human being when speaking. Francesa is a cartoon character at this point. I'd rather hear Sour Shoes playing Francesa than actual Francesa.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    I greatly prefer Michael Kay over Francesa. At least Kay sounds like a human being when speaking. Francesa is a cartoon character at this point. I'd rather hear Sour Shoes playing Francesa than actual Francesa.
    Sour Shoes is a National Treasure.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Kay is awful. LaGreca overdoes the emotion and the third dude is so fake/pandering it's embarrassing.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan View Post
    I enjoy the Kay show to be honest. I used to listen often at my old job, especially because I would commute via car. I haven't listened in quite some time tho.

I hate Fatcesa.
    Then you have heard the new and unimproved MK. The show is really bad now. Only good show is Joe & Evan,

The rest show be taken off the air reduce noise pollution

TMKS is better than WFAN's Afternoon Drive. But it's not better than Mike's On.
    While true MF is rude jerk, he is much more knowledgeable than MK. Sorry but Kay knows very little. He does not give you an interesting perspective/view at all. At least not for me. I've only recently listened to him because Maggie, Bart, Carlin are awful. Most of the time I wonder is Bart Scott even in the room.

Dreadful hire by WFAN.

Another problem I have with Kay's show is, too much pop culture talk. Too much joking around.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    While true MF is rude jerk, he is much more knowledgeable than MK. Sorry but Kay knows very little. He does not give you an interesting perspective/view at all. At least not for me. I've only recently listened to him because Maggie, Bart, Carlin are awful. Most of the time I wonder is Bart Scott even in the room.

Dreadful hire by WFAN.
    This all the way around. Mike is a jerk to callers and isn't nearly as entertaining alone as Russo but you cannot question his baseball/football IQ and recall. Kay is just horrendously bad. Whines about everything, tries to be contrarian with LaGreca and vice versa and offers boring takes on pop culture items that are as unhip as they are uninteresting.

Mike should've just stayed but it wouldn't be an issue if CMB were any good. Carlin is a producer who is a mushmouth and not all-around knowledgeable at all. He's not knowledgeable about much at all, to be honest.

Maggie I know nothing about other than she has possibly the worst radio voice I've ever heard. That she doesn't seem to have much interesting to say doesn't help.

Bart is a football guy. He can't do afternoon drive in the biggest market where baseball knowledge/passion is CRUCIAL. He belongs on a pre/post program covering the NFL.

It was a dreadful job by the WFAN mgmt thinking these three would be good together. On top of their lackluster talent/ability they also have ZERO chemistry. It's all fake laughs, zero flow and a million guests because even with 3 people in the studio (at least one too many hosts) they cannot carry a conversation without having a guest offer an opinion they don't provide on their own.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    It was a dreadful job by the WFAN mgmt thinking these three would be good together. On top of their lackluster talent/ability they also have ZERO chemistry. It's all fake laughs, zero flow and a million guests because even with 3 people in the studio (at least one too many hosts) they cannot carry a conversation without having a guest offer an opinion they don't provide on their own.
    Just spitballing here, pure speculation but I almost wonder if Chernoff or whoever was making the call had some indication going in that Francesa was really more interested in a leave of absence than a true retirement. That's one of only two scenarios that make sense as to why they'd hire an untested trio to fill that crucial time slot instead of Benigno and Roberts, who are well established at the station and have a following (the other logical scenario is that WFAN management is just clueless, but that's been covered already).

In terms of potential listener backlash, CMB are a lot easier to kick to the curb than Joe and Evan ... plus they got two "back-page" days out of this (Mike going, Mike coming back).

I've never really understood why a person would call into one of these type of programs.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Just spitballing here, pure speculation but I almost wonder if Chernoff or whoever was making the call had some indication going in that Francesa was really more interested in a leave of absence than a true retirement. That's one of only two scenarios that make sense as to why they'd hire an untested trio to fill that crucial time slot instead of Benigno and Roberts, who are well established at the station and have a following (the other logical scenario is that WFAN management is just clueless, but that's been covered already).

In terms of potential listener backlash, CMB are a lot easier to kick to the curb than Joe and Evan ... plus they got two "back-page" days out of this (Mike going, Mike coming back).

Benigno is very close to retirement.

I'm another whose intro to sports talk radio was Art Rust Jr. I listened a lot and sometimes called in. I was already out of sports radio by the time Mike and Dog broke in.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    And he said he didn't want to the PM show because he wanted his afternoons free to play golf

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Joe still has 18 months left on his deal so I could see him leaving then. That's not imminent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I've never really understood why a person would call into one of these type of programs.
    Being a psycho explains a lot, and they provided lots of entertainment. Who didn't love hearing from Jerome from Manhattan?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Joe still has 18 months left on his deal so I could see him leaving then. That's not imminent, though.
    Plus these guys often don't follow through on retirement talk. I'm pretty sure I remember Howard Stern back in the day swearing he'd hang it up at age 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Being a psycho explains a lot, and they provided lots of entertainment. Who didn't love hearing from Jerome from Manhattan?
    I ... DON'T ... WANT ... Bobby .... ABREU!!! He's a BUM!!!

NYYF MVP

I listen to WFAN on my hour+ commute home. CMB has been a tough listen, so I've found myself trying out NJ 101.5, TMKS, and Philly sports radio (I live/work in South Jersey).

I am happy that Francesa is coming back. Even if he is a blowhard, he is an entertaining blowhard.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Jeromeís rants were legendary. He reminded me of Cheswick from One Flew Over the Cuckooís Nest.

I often wondered whether he was actually a staged caller created for entertainment purposes. LOL

Anyone know what ever happened to him?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Jerome’s rants were legendary. He reminded me of Cheswick from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I often wondered whether he was actually a staged caller created for entertainment purposes. LOL

Anyone know what ever happened to him?
    Rumored to have passed away, but no real proof seems to be out there. It's actually kind of a mystery.

Tribute site: http://www.johnkutlu.com/jeromefrommanhattan/

Hope is eternal

As someone who doesnít care much about the other major team sports I got tired of Rangers and Knicks talk in April and May and then Giants and Jets talk starting June so when XM came along and had the MLB Network and the radio play by play for all 30 teams back in 2004 it was goodbye WFAN for good for me.
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post

Dreadful hire by WFAN.
    They needed to have more of a chance than 4 months together. Oh wait, they'll be on from 1-6:30 soon enough because doesn't Francesa take off from Memorial Day to Labor Day? Or it is the 4th of July to mid-September?

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Rumored to have passed away, but no real proof seems to be out there. It's actually kind of a mystery.

Wow, sorry to hear that. He was great.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that. He was great.
    Another regular who passed away was Vinny from queens. Heard he died in a car accident.

It was confirmed by multiple FAN hosts on the air. Jerome was legendary, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    They needed to have more of a chance than 4 months together. Oh wait, they'll be on from 1-6:30 soon enough because doesn't Francesa take off from Memorial Day to Labor Day? Or it is the 4th of July to mid-September?
    IMO they didn't need more time. They were awful individually and as a group. Even when Francesa and Russo hated (and sniped at) each other in the beginning, they were still knowledgeable and compelling radio. This was a joke of a hire. Again, 3 people hosting a radio show is (at least) one too many, especially when there's zero chemistry as there is in this case.

I think Mikes knowledge has slipped as heís gotten older, but I still find him entertaining and Iím glad heís coming back. Pretty much the only thing tolerable with the Afternoon Drive IMO is Bart talking about football.

I donít like the MKS. Does anyone do a better interview than Francesa?
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Thread Information