+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Mike Francesa coming back to WFAN

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    Michael Kay is retweeting every tweet kissing his butt. Very sad.

I do agree Francesa is a jerk, but I canít stand Kay even more.
    Same here.

It had to be difficult for him to have an opinion on all things NY sports and have no outlet for his pearls of wisdom.

Any word on hours/days?

Again, I don't understand the Michael Kay hatred by Yankee fans. At least he's pro-Yankees versus just about every host on WFAN. That station broadcasts the Yankees, but if you didn't know any better you would think they're still broadcasting the freaking Mets. With Francesca back I hope some more Yankee balance takes place on WFAN.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post

I do think Mike is a jerk. That said, I hate Kay and cannot imagine listening to him one more second than I already have to.
    Let's face it, that's a dog eat dog world, sports radio and radio/TV just in general. That industry is full of jerks and has been for many, many years before Michael Kay started his radio show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Let's face it, that's a dog eat dog world, sports radio and radio/TV just in general. That industry is full of jerks and has been for many, many years before Michael Kay started his radio show.

As a kid I used to listen to John Sterling sports talk show in the early 70s. In those days one of his trademarks was being rude to callers. It wasn't uncommon for him to tell a caller "get off the phone you jerk".

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    As a kid I used to listen to John Sterling sports talk show in the early 70s. In those days one of his trademarks was being rude to callers. It wasn't uncommon for him to tell a caller "get off the phone you jerk".
    I have to be honest, after so many of those stupid calls, at times, I can't blame some of those radio hosts. My sports talk show memories goes back to Marv Albert, who had a show on WNBC back when he was calling Knicks games on radio.

NYYF Legend

Nitpick, but "Get off the phone!" was the trademark kiss-off of right-wing political commentator Bob Grant, whose WMCA show led in to Sterling's. Sterling's kiss-off phrase was "Give it a rest, you creep!"

Reject Fascism

Russo to be on TMKS today at 5:30
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Nitpick, but "Get off the phone!" was the trademark kiss-off of right-wing political commentator Bob Grant, whose WMCA show led in to Sterling's. Sterling's kiss-off phrase was "Give it a rest, you creep!"
    Ok, I just remember back then he could be really rough with the callers. At the time (early 70s) it was the only sports talk available.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Honestly, I can't listen to regular radio. More breaks and commercials than an NFL game.

They don't need updates every 20 minutes. Everyone has the internet in their pocket.
    That 20 minute update is a long commercial break so Steve Sommers can take his cigarette break outside

When is the last time everyone didn't have all the scores in their pockets, 10 years ago? WFAN is so outdated

NYYF Legend

I like his show. Didnít like Rosenberg at first but heís grown on me.
    Yeah he makes the show interesting. LaGreca is just so cringeworthy, they really need to drop that fat dishevelled dinosaur ASAP

Art Rust Jr. was my personal favorite. Used to love listening to his show as a kid back in the 70ís.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Art Rust Jr. was my personal favorite. Used to love listening to his show as a kid back in the 70ís.
    I liked Art Rust Jr. also.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Art Rust Jr. was my intro to what has become sports talk radio. I loved listening to him when I was 11-12 years old. In the days before having a TV in my room, I would listen to him and the Yankees games on radio when I was supposed to be sleeping. I remember he loved to talk boxing.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Art Rust Jr. was my intro to what has become sports talk radio. I loved listening to him when I was 11-12 years old. In the days before having a TV in my room, I would listen to him and the Yankees games on radio when I was supposed to be sleeping. I remember he loved to talk boxing.
    Thatís funny - same here. Iíd be in my bedroom under the covers with my transistor radio buried under my pillow listening to his show when my folks thought I was sleeping!

Art Rust Jr. was a pioneer when it came to sports-talk radio. No trash talk or bluster - just informative discussion. Learned more about sports listening to his show than any other form of media during that era. And yes, he was extremely passionate about boxing too!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Arthur George Rust Jr. The Yankees are playing tonight in the big ball orchard in the South Bronx.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Arthur George Rust Jr. The Yankees are playing tonight in the big ball orchard in the South Bronx.
    my favorite Art Rust Jr. ism is "racism is as American as apple pie and baseball"
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Ok, I just remember back then he could be really rough with the callers. At the time (early 70s) it was the only sports talk available.
    Yes. Funny that a whole generation only knows him as the hokey over-the-top Yankee play-by-play guy, but his influence on baseball play-by-play isn't much, will probably die with him. His influence on what we now call sports-talk radio is profound and lasting, for better or worse (mostly worse I think but whatever), he was one of the real pioneers of "confrontational" sports talk. First "confrontational" host ever in a major market, I think (unless you count Cleveland as a major market, Pete Franklin preceded him by several years).

Before Sterling, NYC sports call-in radio was generally someone like Bill Mazer, if somebody called in with "I think the Mets should trade Jack Fisher and Joe Christopher for Don Drysdale," Mazer would be like, "Thank you for that suggestion, and keep listening!" If someone said "I think the Mets should trade Craig Swan and Bruce Boisclair for Steve Carlton," Sterling would rip them a new one.

No Sterling, no Mike and the Mad Dog. Up to you whether that's a good thing or not, but I'm just saying that's what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    When is the last time everyone didn't have all the scores in their pockets, 10 years ago?
    Again, the last time someone was sitting in traffic on the Belt Parkway or 95-to-80 Turnpike and didn't want to risk a gendarme spotting them working the cell. AM radio in NYC is a car/commuter thing.

Yesterday is a canceled check, tomorrow is a promissory note. Today is the only cash you have so spend it wisely, Goodnight Edna baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Again, I don't understand the Michael Kay hatred by Yankee fans. At least he's pro-Yankees versus just about every host on WFAN. That station broadcasts the Yankees, but if you didn't know any better you would think they're still broadcasting the freaking Mets. With Francesca back I hope some more Yankee balance takes place on WFAN.
    Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Russo to be on TMKS today at 5:30
    What is TMKS?

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    It had to be difficult for him to have an opinion on all things NY sports and have no outlet for his pearls of wisdom.

Any word on hours/days?
    3:00-7:00, M-F is the early word.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    What is TMKS?
    The Michael Kay Show which I watch or listen to from Monday to Friday especially during baseball season.

Boring.
    What's boring?

I don't understand a sports radio show with one voice. He has been riding out his fans from Mike and the Mad Dog for years. He fell asleep on the air! Hopefully he got enough rest in his hiatus to stay awake for the full segment. FAN did a bad job sticking 3 people together with no former history together and expecting it to be a hit within 4-5 months. Also, bad job in general that one of those 3 was Bart Scott, he is not very good, it wreaks of copy cat on ESPN NY with Chris Canty (let's get a former NY Football player that people liked in their time to at minimum draw said teams fans). I prefer the ESPN NY teams head to head in every time slot over the FAN.

The Kay hate is weird and odd, if you are a Yankee fan watching the games on YES why waste your time hating Kay. He will be giving you play by play for at least another ten years just get used to him.

Reject Fascism

What is TMKS?
    The Michael Kay Show
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Thread Information