+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

Yankee fans hate this guy for no good reason. Second straight year with 120 OPS+ and excellent defense
    Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. Yogi Berra

The only question about Hick's is his health. If he's healthy, like Bird, he'll produce.

NYYF Legend

.850 OPS, 130 wRC+, 3.2 fWAR from a CF with elite defense.

My only knock on him would be he’s too streaky. I wish it was a consistent .850 OPS, as opposed to 3 sizzling weeks followed by 3 awful weeks. Not sure that this matters at all in the grand scheme of things. I’m probably just nit-picking.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Yankee fans hate this guy for no good reason. Second straight year with 120 OPS+ and excellent defense
    Make that some Yankee fans. I don't understand it either especially when it comes to what happened with Ellsbury, you would think every Yankee fan would be grateful that we have him now.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

He's a really important extension candidate in the offseason.

An extension would make Florial a more easy chip to move.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Makes zero sense to me too. He's often compared to Bernie Williams, and for good reason.

Yankee fans seem to collectively hate more or less everyone, which is especially funny given this is the most young talent the team has had in my Yankee fandom life (first sports memory, Chambliss walkoff when I was 9). The amount of hatred Judge got during his awful post-ASB stretch last year shows it can happen to anyone, maybe only Mariano was immune.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Yankee fans seem to collectively hate more or less everyone, which is especially funny given this is the most young talent the team has had in my Yankee fandom life (first sports memory, Chambliss walkoff when I was 9). The amount of hatred Judge got during his awful post-ASB stretch last year shows it can happen to anyone, maybe only Mariano was immune.
    Nope. I recall Mo getting slammed on this board and in the media twice. I was utterly dumbfounded by it. I fought the good fight but there were folks sticking a fork in him.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    .850 OPS, 130 wRC+, 3.2 fWAR from a CF with elite defense.

My only knock on him would be hes too streaky. I wish it was a consistent .850 OPS, as opposed to 3 sizzling weeks followed by 3 awful weeks. Not sure that this matters at all in the grand scheme of things. Im probably just nit-picking.
    No, youre not alone in your thinking... dude is a straight up corpse when hes running cold... makes Gardy look consistent with his streakiness
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    No, youre not alone in your thinking... dude is a straight up corpse when hes running cold... makes Gardy look consistent with his streakiness
    The one saving grace is that even when he is cold, he still keeps his OBP up with his walking ability. Thats huge.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    Makes zero sense to me too. He's often compared to Bernie Williams, and for good reason.
    Who compares him to Bernie Williams? Because it's not a good comparison IMO. Bernie was a much better offensive player through age 28 than Hicks. Both considered strong defensive CFs in their 20s although we know Bernie became a statue as he got older. Hicks has a gun for an arm, Williams could barely reach the infield.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I hope he doesn't replicate his breakout season from last year, because those are exactly the things he didn't do - stay healthy, and maintain his first-half production in the second half.
    I'm guessing 2 oblique strains will put a damper on your production.

Anyway I agree with you in that he needs to stay healthy which I'm assuming will also lead to his production NOT dropping off in the 2nd half.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Who compares him to Bernie Williams? Because it's not a good comparison IMO. Bernie was a much better offensive player through age 28 than Hicks. Both considered strong defensive CFs in their 20s although we know Bernie became a statue as he got older. Hicks has a gun for an arm, Williams could barely reach the infield.
    Lol I was thinking the same thing. Hicks is not a bad player by any means, but he is not Bernie not even close. Bernie had several seasons with over 20 hr, over 300 ba, and over 100rbis. Hicks doesnt come anywhere near that.

I actually like him batting 3rd in this line up.

Calls a tool a tool

Hes a FA after next season. Should have already extended him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Hes a FA after next season. Should have already extended him.
    The under luxury tax threshold strikes again.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

Also he only has two consecutive half seasons of very good performance and is still under contract through next year, I could maybe see an extension in the offseason but it depends on Cashman's overall plan too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    The one saving grace is that even when he is cold, he still keeps his OBP up with his walking ability. Thats huge.
    I was just going to the same thing. When hes drawing walks and not getting hits, it means that he still isnt hurting the offense because hes not making outs at a problematic rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I was just going to the same thing. When he’s drawing walks and not getting hits, it means that he still isn’t hurting the offense because he’s not making outs at a problematic rate.

And his overall defensive ability/baserunning savvy means he's always contributing in some sense to the team. It helps put up with those occasionally dreary stretches of poor contact.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He's a really important extension candidate in the offseason.

An extension would make Florial a more easy chip to move.

Too late. Hes a FA after 2019, and after this season he isn't going to have any doubts about his abilities.

Calls a tool a tool

)n a pace for about 28 HRs and one of the lowest K and swing out of the zone rates. Need more players like this.

NYYF Legend

)n a pace for about 28 HRs and one of the lowest K and swing out of the zone rates. Need more players like this.
    Needs not to be held out of a game, because rest.

Too late. Hes a FA after 2019, and after this season he isn't going to have any doubts about his abilities.
    A guy like Hicks who has been close to being out of baseball may value security more than those who have only known success.

Plus I think he likes it here.

I was wrong about this guy. You could do a hell of a lot worse than hicks in center field
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

NYYF Cy Young

This dude is a must-extend player. All-star caliber CF. He and Didi are absolute cornerstones up the middle right now.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Thread Information