+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13
Results 301 to 320 of 320
  1. #301

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Judge second is scary
    I agree. If the lead-off man doesn't get on base (which is 2/3 of the time), it's like having Judge bat lead-off. Stupid. The Yankees need focus on attacking earlier, instead of boosting Judge's chance of getting a 5th plate appearance in the 9th inning by 1%. Who wants to be losing in the 9th and praying that Judge hits a homerun in his 5th plate appearance? How often does that actually happen? Attack early, not late. It's easier to pitch with a lead, and it's easier to manage the bullpen with a lead. Judge should bat 3rd or 4th. Period.

  2. #302
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    vermont

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Because Harper is younger and better

    is he "younger and better" enough to justify the extra money? that's the point they were making. The last 3 years (the years he was a yankee) his WAR is higher than harper, and that includes his first year, assuming he has "figured it out" his average WAR for the past 2 years is on par with harper's.


    all things equal i'd choose harper, but its a few hundred million more perhaps for bryce than aaron.

  3. #303

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    I agree. If the lead-off man doesn't get on base (which is 2/3 of the time), it's like having Judge bat lead-off. Stupid. The Yankees need focus on attacking earlier, instead of boosting Judge's chance of getting a 5th plate appearance in the 9th inning by 1%. Who wants to be losing in the 9th and praying that Judge hits a homerun in his 5th plate appearance? How often does that actually happen? Attack early, not late. It's easier to pitch with a lead, and it's easier to manage the bullpen with a lead. Judge should bat 3rd or 4th. Period.
    You're preaching to the choir (me and few others here) in that I agree that power RBI hitters like Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton on occasion should not bat in the second spot which traditionally was for a good bunter/bat control guy. Last year, we saw a bit of Gardy leading off followed by Ellsbury and when Derek Jeter led off, he was followed by Mariano Duncan.

  4. #304

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Because Harper is younger and better
    And a lot more expensive.

  5. #305

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by millervt View Post
    is he "younger and better" enough to justify the extra money? that's the point they were making. The last 3 years (the years he was a yankee) his WAR is higher than harper, and that includes his first year, assuming he has "figured it out" his average WAR for the past 2 years is on par with harper's.


    all things equal i'd choose harper, but its a few hundred million more perhaps for bryce than aaron.
    I think WAR overrates hicks. I also think WAR is overrated. Harper is a superior baseball player
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  6. #306

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    I agree. If the lead-off man doesn't get on base (which is 2/3 of the time), it's like having Judge bat lead-off. Stupid. The Yankees need focus on attacking earlier, instead of boosting Judge's chance of getting a 5th plate appearance in the 9th inning by 1%. Who wants to be losing in the 9th and praying that Judge hits a homerun in his 5th plate appearance? How often does that actually happen? Attack early, not late. It's easier to pitch with a lead, and it's easier to manage the bullpen with a lead. Judge should bat 3rd or 4th. Period.
    Im cool with JUdge batting 3rd or 4th. Right now I think Andujar should bat 3rd. I want Hicks out of the 3 spot.

    By Scary I meant its scary for other teams. But with the players the team has, I think Judge 2nd is way beyond justifiable
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  7. #307

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I think WAR overrates hicks. I also think WAR is overrated. Harper is a superior baseball player
    The point of the article is that better enough to justify the cost. The article ends with this, “(Hicks) enables the New York to invest $400 million elsewhere this year and beyond.”

  8. #308

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Because Harper is younger and better
    And will be a lot more expensive. Hard pass on Harper. Let somebody else get stuck with that albatross.

  9. #309
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    I guess no one but me cares about Hicks's hamstring?



  10. #310
    Forum Regular

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    vermont

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I think WAR overrates hicks. I also think WAR is overrated. Harper is a superior baseball player

    superior player? probably.
    is he more superior per dollar?

  11. #311
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Boone said he's "hopeful" Hicks will play Monday.

    "He's been getting treatment now, feels better (Sunday), but we're not going to do much with it (Sunday)," he said. "I think we'll really get after it and test it out again tomorrow and kind of make a decision on it. But hopeful that he'll be able to go."

    He added that he doesn't think taking Hicks off the playoff roster will be considered.

    "Because at worst," Boone said, "I feel like it's a day-to-day situation. So if we were going to make a move like that, then you'd potentially lose him for considerable time. I don't think we're anywhere near that."
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf...hicks_pee.html
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  12. #312
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada's basement

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I guess no one but me cares about Hicks's hamstring?


    It does suck to lose Hicks, but when you can replace him with a guy who saw 28 pitches in 4 ABs, it softens the blow a bunch.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

  13. #313
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It does suck to lose Hicks, but when you can replace him with a guy who saw 28 pitches in 4 ABs, it softens the blow a bunch.
    The post you quoted was about Hicks's OTHER hamstring, the left one. That seems to be fine now. Now we're worried about his RIGHT hamstring. But that may be OK also ...

    https://www.mlb.com/news/aaron-hicks...-3/c-297320344

  14. #314

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    I agree. If the lead-off man doesn't get on base (which is 2/3 of the time), it's like having Judge bat lead-off. Stupid. The Yankees need focus on attacking earlier, instead of boosting Judge's chance of getting a 5th plate appearance in the 9th inning by 1%. Who wants to be losing in the 9th and praying that Judge hits a homerun in his 5th plate appearance? How often does that actually happen? Attack early, not late. It's easier to pitch with a lead, and it's easier to manage the bullpen with a lead. Judge should bat 3rd or 4th. Period.
    1%???

    Without a pitcher, it’s a continuously rotating lineup .

  15. #315
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    I get that "hamstrings are tricky", but this isn't June. If he's fine, I'd play him, what is 1 more day magically going to do for him? There isn't a ton of season left to save him for... kind of need to win these games...

  16. #316
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I get that "hamstrings are tricky", but this isn't June. If he's fine, I'd play him, what is 1 more day magically going to do for him? There isn't a ton of season left to save him for... kind of need to win these games...
    Exactly and I am having difficulty figuring out the rationale of not staying Hicks tonight.

  17. #317

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    unless hicks could not walk he had to be in the lineup tonight....

  18. #318
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    Scheduled rest day.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  19. #319

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    He should be locked and loaded for Spring Training, you know when the real season begins.

  20. #320
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: 2018 Aaron Hicks Performance Thread

    I'd give him 2019 game 2 off, just to be safe.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts