+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

2018 NCAA Baseball and Softball Thread

Hofstra University, where I went, is ranked Number 25 in Softball and is the top team in the northeast. The RPI is released weekly on Mondays, and last week the SEC and Pac-12 had 15 of the top 17 teams. Schools in the northeast don't do well. The top RPI in the Big East is DePaul in 75th, and the top RPI by a Big East team on the east coast is St. John's in 162nd. Hofstra is 26th in the RPI, and the next best RPI by a team in New York is Fordham in 107th.

Connecticut is the top northeastern team in Baseball.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 NCAA Baseball and Softball Thread

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/5/11/...mpionship.aspx is titled "SB: Hofstra Captures CAA Championship." Hofstra was ranked for two weeks. After James Madison swept in a three game series in Harrisonburg, VA, James Madison became ranked and Hofstra dropped out. James Madison was the 1 seed with a 19-2 CAA record and hosted the CAA Tournament. Hofstra was the 2 seed with a 17-4 CAA record. Hofstra won the double-elimination CAA Tournament without losing, and they beat James Madison 9-6 yesterday and 7-4 in today's Final. Had James Madison won, there would have been a second game. James Madison should get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Selection Show will be on ESPN2 on Sunday at 10:00 P.M. I also like Florida State, who is ranked in the Top 10.

NYYF Legend

Kind of crazy that every host in the Regionals won this weekend in the WCWS bracket. I know favorites win a lot but 16 for 16 is crazy. I think it's been quite some time since that's happened.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I guess no one cares about NCCA Softball but all 8 top seeds also won their Super Regional setting up a WCWS with theoretically the top 8 teams.

Double elimination tournament starts today will 4 games on tap. Top seeded Oregon showed some muscle in an 11-6 win and Washington out dueled Oklahoma's Paiges - Parker and Lowrie - 2-0.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Florida State, who I like, beat UCLA 3-1 and 12-6 to advance to face Washington in the final series of the Women's College World Series. In the 12-6 win, UCLA had 1 more hit, but Florida State's win was helped by 5 unearned runs. The first team to win twice is the champion. Washington was the 5 seed and Florida State was the 6 seed, so this is the equivalent of a Men's Basketball championship game between two 2 seeds. In Softball, the seeds 1 through 16 are used once each, and 48 teams do not have numbers. The first game of the Final will be on ESPN tomorrow at 7:00 P.M., with Game 2 on Tuesday at 8:00 P.M. and Game 3 if it is necessary on Wednesday at 8:00 P.M.

NYYF Legend

Garcia was one pitch away from a SO in game one until the 1-2, 3 Run bomb with 2 outs in the 6th.

When this double elimination started these, these were not the 2 teams I would have picked to reach the national final.

Good luck to both. The RF for WAS made a hell of play in the other semi-final. Probably saved that game for WAS against 2 time defending (and home crowd favorite) Oklahoma.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Florida State won 6 elimination games. They won 1-0 yesterday and 8-3 today for their first Softball championship and the first one by an ACC team. After doing worse than unusual in Football, they reached the Men's Basketball Elite Eight and won a Softball championship.

Thread Information