+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Gleyber Torres Performance Thread

I'm in love with Gleybae

My fave.

That was such a big hit! The kid just seems like a natural, so smooth and quietly confident. We are going to love watching him get better and better. This team has so many players I want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Yup. As advertised. Clint Frazier, not so much.
    I think Frazier will live up to the hype once hes given the opportunity to play every day.

He showed enough last year to make me believe all he needs is experience.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I think Frazier will live up to the hype once he’s given the opportunity to play every day.

He showed enough last year to make me believe all he needs is experience.
    Yeah, and I think people won’t be making a big stink about his swing mechanics anymore after watching Stanton for a month lol
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    That was such a big hit! The kid just seems like a natural, so smooth and quietly confident. We are going to love watching him get better and better. This team has so many players I want to watch.
    After what Cashman did two years ago getting all the prospects for the veterans, he will get a pass for all the mistakes he would make in the future.

I don't think any of us thought Yankees would turn things around so quickly.

Kid just did a post game interview and despite not having the best English speaking skills he gave it a shot without using his translator. That's pretty brave.
    And he's only going to get better with his English speaking skills.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

Obviously very talented, I love his demeanor.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Kid just did a post game interview and despite not having the best English speaking skills he gave it a shot without using his translator. That's pretty brave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    And he's only going to get better with his English speaking skills.
    Impressed me as well. That's the best way to learn. In a relatively short amount of time, he'll have good command of it.

NYYF Legend

He actually has made it a point in Spring Training to force himself into English for interviews in order to show the Yankees he's stopping at nothing to prove he belongs.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/02/...nkees-english/

Torres spoke to reporters for nine minutes Saturday, and he conducted the entire session in English, breaking only twice to look at interpreter Marlon Abreu for a correct word. Otherwise, Abreu stood silently and listened to a comfortable back and forth between the group of Yankees beat reporters and the teams highest-rated prospect.

A native Venezuelan, Torres just turned 21 in December. A year ago, he conducted interviews with Abreu interpreting both questions and answers in Spanish. Now, as he tries to show the Yankees he is major league ready on the field, it took only a few minutes to show that he is getting major league ready off the field.

I practice English every time, he said. I want to explain how I feel or what I want to say. I think its best important for the fans and the media, too. Sometimes I feel like embarrassing or something like that because my English is not perfect. But I practice for talk a like perfect English and explain how I feel, how I want to say.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

torres is the yanks best defensive infielder great arm fantastic range did does not have gleyber range...

Yeah its great that hes trying to learn English, when he doesnt have to. Nothing against players that use an interpreter, but it shows hes trying to make a good impression.

NYYF Legend

Higher sprint speed than Wade or Hicks.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

It's been said before but it bears repeating, again and again: I cannot believe we got him for a rental.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

He's going to hit for power but, Gleyber is exactly the type of hitter I've been clamoring for since the dynasty years. Great contact skills, confident approach who commands the strike zone and can get you a big single/double when you need it. We've had too many "sluggers" who were all or nothing for too long. Guys like Gleyber are becoming more and more rare and, thusly, more and more valuable IMO. I feel like he could be a .300/.375/.450 type dude who provides elite middle-infield defense for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

And Altuve, apparently. Thanks for the link.

I'm already a huge fan of Torres. Loved his approach in that at-bat yesterday -- didn't try to do too much.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

torres is not super fast or he would have beaten out that grounder in the whole when correa threw him out.. but he can hit unlike wade...

Not really about his performance, but Didi uses a baby bottle to signify Gleyber in his awesome tweetfests.. It's hysterical, and dare I say, cute as hell.. LOL..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    He's going to hit for power but, Gleyber is exactly the type of hitter I've been clamoring for since the dynasty years. Great contact skills, confident approach who commands the strike zone and can get you a big single/double when you need it. We've had too many "sluggers" who were all or nothing for too long. Guys like Gleyber are becoming more and more rare and, thusly, more and more valuable IMO. I feel like he could be a .300/.375/.450 type dude who provides elite middle-infield defense for a long time.

And Altuve, apparently. Thanks for the link.
    Funny thing is that his game tying single reminds me of Altuve's hitting approch.

NYYF Legend

I don't have the stats to back this up, but he seems to always fall behind by going up there initially and swinging out of his shoes. He'll miss and then cut down on his swing and get a hit.

I think he'll eventually start making that hard contact in the beginning of the AB.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I don't have the stats to back this up, but he seems to always fall behind by going up there initially and swinging out of his shoes. He'll miss and then cut down on his swing and get a hit.

I think he'll eventually start making that hard contact in the beginning of the AB.
    i know it's not what the yanks will do and he has only been here a few weeks.. if brett gardner does not start hitting i would not mind having gleyber lead off.. he makes contact...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    torres is not super fast or he would have beaten out that grounder in the whole when correa threw him out.. but he can hit unlike wade...
    This. He has average speed which is his one "weakness".

I go back to the ball that went past the first baseman that he had to field and lead Tanaka to the bag. So calm, smooth and efficient. Looked like he has been making that play his entire playing career.

i like the new gleyber didi dance

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    i like the new gleyber didi dance
    Love the strut!

Thread Information