+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Gleyber Torres Performance Thread

And we're off.......

Addicted Member

The image of the kid breathing a sigh of relief and smiling when he got to 1st base---priceless!

NYYF Legend

I'm in love with the way it happened, too. You can see how good he can be and what everyone talks about with regards to him being an advanced hitter that makes adjustments. On a 1-2 pitch it looked like his front side leaked out ahead of a breaking ball...but he kept his hands back and squared up the pitch anyway for a line drive base hit.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I know it shouldn't make a difference, but I'm happy he conducts his interviews in English.

When there's an interpreter there, I always feel something is getting lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    When there's an interpreter there, I always feel something is getting lost in translation.
    I think this is less true for the Spanish ones but my wife is from Tokyo and is very fluent in both languages, and Japanese ones are almost always pretty bad.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I think this is less true for the Spanish ones but my wife is from Tokyo and is very fluent in both languages, and Japanese ones are almost always pretty bad.
    The issue with Spanish is not the quality of the translators, but the quality of the questions. The guys sometimes have to really work to turn Meredith's queries into something the poor kid from a Caribbean island can understand and respond to. So yeah, something gets lost in translation, but it's nothing to cry about.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    The issue with Spanish is not the quality of the translators, but the quality of the questions. The guys sometimes have to really work to turn Meredith's queries into something the poor kid from a Caribbean island can understand and respond to. So yeah, something gets lost in translation, but it's nothing to cry about.
    I'm not fluent but I understand enough Spanish to catch the translator leaving things out (in both directions).
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Triple Crown

I think this is what happened. Andújar got the ball and switch the ball and threw it in the stands and then gave the real ball to the trainer - very cool. Very happy for Gleyber.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I think this is what happened. Andújar got the ball and switch the ball and threw it in the stands and then gave the real ball to the trainer - very cool. Very happy for Gleyber.
    Yes, that's the tradition. It was Luis who pulled the prank.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Yes, that's the tradition. It was Luis who pulled the prank.
    thanks - didn't know that. Funny. Fun game - not surprised but the only sore note was Hale being DFAed after he did a good job. No options. I hope Cole can do as good a job.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    thanks - didn't know that. Funny. Fun game - not surprised but the only sore note was Hale being DFAed after he did a good job. No options. I hope Cole can do as good a job.
    Yeah, a bittersweet 24 hours but that's baseball. Though unlikely, would be cool if Cole could recapture what he was as a prospect. He was a legit GUY at one point with big stuff.

NYYF Cy Young

56 AAA at-bats: doesn't hit a single infield fly ball.

8 MLB at-bats: 50% IFFB percentage.

Kid will be fine, but welcome to the big leagues Gleyber
    Don't have a clue

Just like that he’s gone from youngest in MLB to one year older than youngest in MLB with Acuna callup by Atlanta.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Just like that he’s gone from youngest in MLB to one year older than youngest in MLB with Acuna callup by Atlanta.
    Torres wasn't the youngest - Ozzie Albies was. I think Torres was second youngest.

NYYF Legend

I wonder if he's going to hit for any power.

Have also noticed over the last couple years, he makes his fair share of errors.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Once he settles in he's definitely hitting for power, in my opinion. And if he pans out he'll be the prototypical grow-into-much-more power guy as the years go by.

I loved the throw he made to second when Betances threw away the pickoff.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I loved the throw he made to second when Betances threw away the pickoff.
    How about the super acrobatic tag on the SB? That reminded me of Javier Baez.

NYYF Legend

Nice to see him taking pitches too. Definitely a patient approach. Seeing the same amount of pitches with the likes of Hicks and Judge in the early going.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/b...lateAppearance
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

The 2016 non-waiver deadline was not the first time the New York Yankees wanted infielder Gleyber Torres.

The Yankees identified Torres as their No. 1 target in the 2013-14 international class, but something went amiss after their international scouting director, Donny Rowland, called general manager Brian Cashman and former vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman from Venezuela and said, “We’ve got to get this guy.”

“The next day, literally the next day, he disappeared,” Rowland said. “I couldn’t find the dude.”

Torres, it turns out, had reached a verbal agreement with the Chicago Cubs to sign for $1.7 million, then went underground, according to major league sources. Players in the international market typically stop attending tryout camps once they cut such deals with help from their agent/trainers, who are known as buscones. The signings become official on July 2.

- Rosenthal, The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Torres wasn't the youngest - Ozzie Albies was. I think Torres was second youngest.
    Now 3rd youngest.
    Thanks. That'll teach me to listen to John Sterling.

torres is such a smooth infielder.. makes all the plays...

His approach, confidence and swing on that 2-strike slider he ripped to LF for the double: impressive.

I'm looking forward to his defensive numbers after playing 2B for a while, especially his range. I think he's got a good chance to be above average or better. I love his arm talent, similar to Cano in that he can make any kind of throw with zip.

Gleyber is the youngest Yankee with back-to-back multi-hit games since Mantle in 1952.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Gleyber is the youngest Yankee with back-to-back multi-hit games since Mantle in 1952.
    There is going to be a lot of these 'youngest Yankee with X' stats. He's very young.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information