+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees Attendance 2018

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Always wondered if the April incident where the steel beam section crashed into the stands while the park was empty might have spooked people for a little while.
    It wasn't the beam, it was getting sent to Shea for a game. The entire fan base was traumatized.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Always wondered if the April incident where the steel beam section crashed into the stands while the park was empty might have spooked people for a little while.
    George was making a lot of noise back then about getting a new stadium. The Bronx was unsafe, Yankee Stadium was falling apart, blah, blah, blah... and if the city didn't get him a new stadium he would move to Jersey. I think George's own negative publicity about the stadium and the Bronx kept folks away.

The '98 team got on a roll and they became an event ticket. And once people got there they decided for themselves it wasn't as dire as George made it out to be.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    George was making a lot of noise back then about getting a new stadium. The Bronx was unsafe, Yankee Stadium was falling apart, blah, blah, blah... and if the city didn't get him a new stadium he would move to Jersey. I think George's own negative publicity about the stadium and the Bronx kept folks away.

The '98 team got on a roll and they became an event ticket. And once people got there they decided for themselves it wasn't as dire as George made it out to be.
    I seem to remember the Jersey threat being more of an '80s thing. There was still a lot of chatter about "needing" a new stadium in the 1990s, but by the time of the dynasty, New York had a mayor in place (Giuliani) who was on board with building a new stadium, something Koch and Dinkins had not been, so there was that to keep George somewhat happy at least.

Also I wonder if the Cleveland Browns court case had an effect.

Devoted Member

Going into the final series of the year, the Yankees have drawn 3.36 million fans - second to the Dodgers. To crack 3.5 million they will have to average 46,946 fans per game.

I believe Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez made his debut with the New York Yankees on June 3, 1998. That might have resulted in increased attendance, to some degree.

Also, attendance generally picks up when the weather gets warmer, college terms end, etc.
    Last edited by njyankeesfan; 09-21-18 at 06:03 PM.

NYYF Cy Young

Also remember that early 1998 was a bit of a downer. After 1996 and winning the World Series, to losing Wetteland and having Mariano give up that awful HR to Alomar and the Yanks lost in the ALDS. Then the team had an awful start in 98 at 1-4. There were talks of Torre being fired. If I also remember there was an El Niņo that year so weather wasn’t great in April. Then the beam falling. It all added to smaller attendance at first.

3,482,255 over 81 games, strong attendance this season.

On to the postseason ...

NYYF Legend

I was really hoping for 3.5 million. Quite disappointing.

I think 17,745 fans rested instead of going to games.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I was really hoping for 3.5 million. Quite disappointing.

I think 17,745 fans rested instead of going to games.

I think you have to take into account the bad weather.
    First, the season started the earliest in ML history, Then April was cold and wet, August was the coldest and wettest August in my memory
    Overall I think the Yanks did pretty well attendance wise. Injuries hurt the team and attendance

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    It wasn't the beam, it was getting sent to Shea for a game. The entire fan base was traumatized.
    The odd thing was the game moved to Shea was celebrating the 75th anniversary of YS with cheap ticket prices. Upper deck seats were $2.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post

George said if they drew 3,000,000 he would keep the team in the Bronx. They did the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    There was a time period during the original Yankees Stadium in the 60s when the fanbase was envious of Shea.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Anyone going down from CT today? Bridgeport/Fairfield area? Looking into train times and what to do if I get there at 6.
    Yo soy Gary

Thread Information