+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Cy Young

Start times of games

I don't get it. Why are some games starting at 6:35 PM, and others at 7:05? For as long as I can remember, night games always started at 7:05. What is the reason some are starting at 6:35? Less cold?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Addicted Member

Re: Start times of games

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The move was announced back in November:

Yankees move start times

6:35 starts are for Monday-Thurs in April

NYYF Cy Young

The move was announced back in November:

Yankees move start times

so is it just on what we used to call "school nights" that the games start at the earlier time?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    so is it just on what we used to call "school nights" that the games start at the earlier time?
    It appears to me to be an experiment. It is only in April and only M-Th games, so school nights is accurate.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

And maybe it is less cold, by a half degree or so. I'm going to be there tomorrow night. They said it might snow.

TBH, I love these early starts when watching from home here in Michigan. I just wish the weather was warmer and had less rain for those that do attend those games.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

It appears to me to be an experiment. It is only in April and only M-Th games, so school nights is accurate.
    One May game as well, the 30th.

Yanks also looking to see if food and beverage per cap rises - test to see if they are stealing business from local bars and food options outside stadium

NYYF Legend

This early time is not fair for people who work and have to travel a distance.....notice all the empty seats in the early innings.

NYYF Legend

^ Fair point, though the weather so far surely hasn't helped. Or have you noticed a large increase in spectators in the later innings?

NYYF Legend

I like the 6:35pm game starts....but I find it funny that at weekday home games, most all the fans arrive late. Stadium is a ghost town til about 3rd inning
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    This early time is not fair for people who work and have to travel a distance.....notice all the empty seats in the early innings.
    But gives you a shot of being home before 11-11:30 if you live far away

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeJimBeam View Post
    But gives you a shot of being home before 11-11:30 if you live far away
    It could. But so far the 6:35 games have all run over 3 hours.

Start time of 6:35pm is a lot better than the early 1980's when night games used to start at either I believe 7:30 or 8:00 (if my memory serves me).
    Day games started at 2:00 and scheduled (yes scheduled) Sunday double headers started at 12:30pm

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombergirl View Post
    Start time of 6:35pm is a lot better than the early 1980's when night games used to start at either I believe 7:30 or 8:00 (if my memory serves me).
    Day games started at 2:00 and scheduled (yes scheduled) Sunday double headers started at 12:30pm
    I remember those 8:00 start times. But of course the games were a lot faster and would usually end between 10:00 and 10:30. I think 7:00 is just about right nowadays. But I must admit I often fall asleep on the sofa around the 8th inning.

A guy I know recently showed me an old program from a Boston Braves home game from sometime in the 1950's that he had saved. Starting time was 8:30 pm (!) They also used to pre-print the starting lineups in the program because the lineup changed so infrequently. I remember that game was against the Cardinals and Stan Musial was already printed in the batting order.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    A guy I know recently showed me an old program from a Boston Braves home game from sometime in the 1950's that he had saved. Starting time was 8:30 pm (!) They also used to pre-print the starting lineups in the program because the lineup changed so infrequently. I remember that game was against the Cardinals and Stan Musial was already printed in the batting order.
    Constant lineups is something my dad told me about. He was born in 1946. I'm old enough to remember 7:35 and 1:35 start times.

Thread Information