+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Gerrit Cole the one who got away

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...m-gotten-worse

The potential value of pine tar was raised in a recent social media conversation about the early-season performance of Gerrit Cole. After it was suggested in a thread of tweets that the spin rate on Cole's four-seam fastball has jumped significantly, and there was speculation about the use of pine tar, the Indians' Trevor Bauer jumped into the conversation April 11 via Twitter

Trevor Bauer

@BauerOutage
    11 Apr
    Replying to @drivelinebases
    The rules should be enforced as they’re written. Pine tar is more of a competitive advantage in a given game than steroids are.

Cole cheating? He's using pinetar?
    Bauer deleted the tweet. He’s such a wanker.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Trevor Bauer is a horse every 5th day. And a...the rest.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Yankees Will Be Haunted by Not Pulling Trigger on Gerrit Cole Trade - Bleacher Report http://dlvr.it/QRGhPT

http://beta.nydailynews.com/sports/b...icle-1.3964434
    "It's really just about messing with guys' timing," said Cole, who won't face the Yankees this week after striking out 12 A's in six innings on Sunday. "And I think I've just been able to execute better as my career has progressed.
    Cole, though, biased as he may be, feels like the Yankees don't have the best lineup in the AL. He'll take teammates Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa and Co. over Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and the rest of the Bombers.

"I think we do for sure," Cole said, rattling off his respect for the likes of New York, Boston, Cleveland and the Angels. "There's some lethal ones out there, but in my opinion, ours is the most dynamic, the most lethal.
    "It's not like I'm looking to change anything," Cole said. "Just keep doing what I'm doing."

Bauer may be a dbag, but its more then fair to wonder what the hell is going on in Houston. Verlander is better then he's ever been at 35. He had an ERA close to 4, and a 1.28 WHIP in Detroit last year. Since the trade, his numbers have been Pedro-esque. Morton is having this crazy breakout year at 34. His fastball velo and sinker velo have increased over 4 mph since 2015. Cole is striking out guys at a clip he's never done in his career.

I mean for three guys at the same time on the same team to be wildly outperforming their career norms? Its fair to question it. This is unusual at best, and suspicious at worst.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Bauer may be a dbag, but its more then fair to wonder what the hell is going on in Houston. Verlander is better then he's ever been at 35. He had an ERA close to 4, and a 1.28 WHIP in Detroit last year. Since the trade, his numbers have been Pedro-esque. Morton is having this crazy breakout year at 34. His fastball velo and sinker velo have increased over 4 mph since 2015. Cole is striking out guys at a clip he's never done in his career.

I mean for three guys at the same time on the same team to be wildly outperforming their career norms? Its fair to question it. This is unusual at best, and suspicious at worst.
    I agree. I just like don't like Bauer.

NYYF Triple Crown

Threw a complete game 1 hitter with 16 strikeouts tonight against the AL West leading Diamondbacks. Really really wish Cashman gave up the pieces for him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Huntington didn’t ask for Frazier. Frazier was included in an offer, because Cashman had said it was Adams or Andujar. Ultimately if both Adams and Andujar were put on the table, then Cole would be a Yankee today.
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    Threw a complete game 1 hitter with 16 strikeouts tonight against the AL West leading Diamondbacks. Really really wish Cashman gave up the pieces for him.
    As per Heyman, the Astros wanted the Yankees to give up Andujar and that was one of the reasons the two sides couldn’t reach an agreement.

Jerry Crasnick also reported that Andujar was one of the untouchable along with Torres, Sheffield and Florial.

It was reported that the Yankees were willing to cough up Clint Frazier or Chance Adams, but not both, and it was Andujar, not Frazier, that held up the deal according to Pinstripe Alley.

Jim Bowden reported that the Pirates valued Frazier over anyone received from the Astros but the Astros had better overall package.

We may never know if Frazier and Chance would be enough to top the Astos offer. The Pirates likely think that the Yankees offer would be better. But at the same time we don't know how much they really want a major ready 3B and how much the Yankees need to overpay for them to not take a 3B in return.

If he keeps going like this...christ. CG with 16 K's. Insane stuff.

Best stuff in majors. This is why I wanted him. You can't teach stuff.

https://www.mlb.com/news/gerrit-cole...ut/c-275335554

"There's been some tweaks, for sure," said Cole, acquired from Pittsburgh over the winter.

"I really evaluated my sequencing, both with the organization and with Justin [Verlander] and Dallas [Keuchel] especially. I'm in such a good spot, physically, the best I've been in my career. My direction to the plate. My core. I'm able to repeat [delivery] at such a high level, and that has a lot to do with it.

"And the preparation. And my teammates going ... to the wall for a popup in a game that is going our way. That's pretty unique. Pretty special."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Yep..

Yeah I bet there's been some "tweaks".

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Yeah I bet there's been some "tweaks".
    Long time no-see. How the heck have you been?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    I haven't followed his career much. Does he actually have the best "stuff" or is this hyperbole?

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay1123 View Post
    I haven't followed his career much. Does he actually have the best "stuff" or is this hyperbole?
    97-99 fastball with rise, wipe out slider, knee buckling curveball, and a power change with late movement. Just watch videos of him on YouTube.

This is just my opinion of course.

https://www.mlb.com/video/gerrit-col...3?tid=12429102

MLB Network compares Cole to Pedro. ? a lot of similarities on their deliveries and both power pitchers.

I'd rather be Cashman not trading elite assets for Cole than Theo "I am the smartest guy in every room I walk into" Epstein outsmarting himself with the Arrieta/Darvish debacle taking shape in Chi-town.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I'd rather be Cashman not trading elite assets for Cole than Theo "I am the smartest guy in every room I walk into" Epstein outsmarting himself with the Arrieta/Darvish debacle taking shape in Chi-town.

^^^This^^^

I'm also happy the Yankees didn't make that trade for Jose Quintana.....

I wasn't in favor of Andujar & Frazier before. Still aren't now even with as well as he's pitched. Cole wouldn't have been as good on the Yankees....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

and with Justin [Verlander]
    Cole always threw hard so I won't say he's now on the "stuff" Verlander is on.....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Thread Information