+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gerrit Cole the one who got away

Oh well. Should have been more aggressive to get him. Instead we are stuck with Sonny.

Re: Gerrit Cole the one who got away

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Oh well. Should have been more aggressive to get him. Instead we are stuck with Sonny.
    The Pirates wanted Frazier and Andujar. Cashman was 100% correct in rejecting that proposal. The Pirates were willing to accept an inferior offer from Houston. Not sure what Cashman could have done about that.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    The Pirates wanted Frazier and Andujar. Cashman was 100% correct in rejecting that proposal. The Pirates were willing to accept an inferior offer from Houston. Not sure what Cashman could have done about that.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Huntington wanted an MLB-ready thirdbaseman and more parts. Fact of the matter was that Cashman had placed Andujar (their only MLB-ready thirdbaseman) and Torres (potentially a MLB thirdbaseman) off limits.

I think any talk re: Frazier needing to be in the deal is crap. Andujar was off the table. Had he been includable in a trade, then a package would’ve been put together that would’ve easily beat the Astros’ offer, or at the very least, forced Houston to give up more.

Right or wrong, Cashman’s going to own this trade for the foreseeable future because 1) Cole’s success in Houston will be in our collective craw, and 2) now Andujar needs to become the ‘real deal’.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Iím okay with not overpaying for cole. I wasnt crazy about the sonny trade either.

I dont think our coaching staff would have revived cole regardless. All in all, no regrets from my end. I think we did great in the offseason. Things just havent panned out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Iím okay with not overpaying for cole. I wasnt crazy about the sonny trade either.

I dont think our coaching staff would have revived cole regardless. All in all, no regrets from my end. I think we did great in the offseason. Things just havent panned out yet.
    The only stuff out there talking about overpaying is a circular discussion based on speculation, unless of course you have a sourced article stating otherwise.

I donít know that Cole was revived so much as he was Ďrightedí. I agree with you that I kinda doubt any work Rotchschild did with Cole would wind up as good as Coleís been in Houston though.

He's only pitched 3 games... 3 great times, sure, but really now...
    ďLove is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.Ē Ė Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    He's only pitched 3 games... 3 great times, sure, but really now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Hitman23 gets credit for the recycled image
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Letís wait until he pitches against a team other than the Rangers and Padres

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Hitman23 gets credit for the recycled image
    Hey when it works it works. :
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

I donít think Frazier and Andujar would have been an overpay for Cole but I realize Iím probably in the minority with that opinion.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I don’t think Frazier and Andujar would have been an overpay for Cole but I realize I’m probably in the minority with that opinion.
    I certainly would have done one of the two. I mean, by the end of this season it may turn out to be a horrible pass. Cole could be a stud. So far he’s looking good. But I think both was a big ask. It was obvious that is was based on who they wound up trading him for anyway. That could be an indication.

I think right now we’re all a bit worried and second guessing based on the performance of our pitching thus far. So obviously Cole would be huge right now for us. Needed in fact. But we’ll see. I’m gonna reevaluate after this season and I very well could have been on the wrong side of this. I’m certainly happy fantasy-wise though! I’ve been nabbing him every year for three years now. I’ve gotten one tremendous season. Hopefully this will be another.
    In Cashman I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I donít think Frazier and Andujar would have been an overpay for Cole but I realize Iím probably in the minority with that opinion.
    I was on the fence with a cole trade. I thought there was plenty to be nervous about but plenty of upside too. Looking back it, putting coles appearances so far aside. I wish the Yankees had pulled the trigger and taken the gamble. Thatís easy to say now because of how heís pitched so far though
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

I certainly would have done one of the two. I mean, by the end of this season it may turn out to be a horrible pass. Cole could be a stud. So far heís looking good. But I think both was a big ask. It was obvious that is was based on who they wound up trading him for anyway. That could be an indication.

I think right now weíre all a bit worried and second guessing based on the performance of our pitching thus far. So obviously Cole would be huge right now for us. Needed in fact. But weíll see. Iím gonna reevaluate after this season and I very well could have been on the wrong side of this. Iím certainly happy fantasy-wise though! Iíve been nabbing him every year for three years now. Iíve gotten one tremendous season. Hopefully this will be another.
    Huntington didnít ask for Frazier. Frazier was included in an offer, because Cashman had said it was Adams or Andujar. Ultimately if both Adams and Andujar were put on the table, then Cole would be a Yankee today.

Last night @ Seattle: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.

As I stated previously, Iím not sure Rothschild is a good enough pitching coach to have worked with Cole on his arsenal to achieve what heís done so far this young season though.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Huntington didn’t ask for Frazier. Frazier was included in an offer, because Cashman had said it was Adams or Andujar. Ultimately if both Adams and Andujar were put on the table, then Cole would be a Yankee today.

Last night @ Seattle: 7 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.

As I stated previously, I’m not sure Rothschild is a good enough pitching coach to have worked with Cole on his arsenal to achieve what he’s done so far this young season though.
    are you saying the info that was release at the time was incorrect?

If it was for what you say I would have pounced on it. Even if he’s not a stud, which he appears to be heading there this year, it’s still worth that price. We needed a pitcher and one was available.

I may have to back the “Cashman done effd up” bomb on this one if you’re correct.

I’m well aware of his stats. I have him in my roto league. He’s been one of my top guys so far. Had him last year as well and well, it was a crap shoot. It was feast or famine with him. I wound up playing matchups with a guy I bought to toss out there for every start.
    In Cashman I trust.

are you saying the info that was release at the time was incorrect?

If it was for what you say I would have pounced on it. Even if heís not a stud, which he appears to be heading there this year, itís still worth that price. We needed a pitcher and one was available.

I may have to back the ďCashman done effd upĒ bomb on this one if youíre correct.

Iím well aware of his stats. I have him in my roto league. Heís been one of my top guys so far. Had him last year as well and well, it was a crap shoot. It was feast or famine with him. I wound up playing matchups.
    There was tons of speculation, but the only things I could find that are reportable as fact (outside the trade itself) was that Cashman made Frazier available, Huntingtonís acknowledgement he was the best player made available for Cole, and that it couldnít be Anduar and Adams (only one, but not both).

Frankly, I think Cashman tried his best to make Pittsburgh take Frazier and it just didnít work out.

Well, dwelling on this does no good. I wish we had him but we don't. Gotta find someone, at least until Kaprellian comes back the second half and who knows what he's going to do or be. Is Sheffield ready yet?
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Well, dwelling on this does no good. I wish we had him but we don't.
    Hitman strikes again. But then,

Gotta find someone, at least until Kaprellian comes back the second half and who knows what he's going to do or be. Is Sheffield ready yet?
    Kaprielian is an Oakland A. I would think Sheffield would be later this year, if not 2019.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Sht, I forgot about that How embarrassing.
    In Cashman I trust.

NYYF Legend

Sht, I forgot about that How embarrassing.
    For a second I thought you knew something we didnít.

No worries. It happens to the best of us.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Letís assume for a second that Cashman actually traded for Cole - still no guarantee heíd be pitching this well in pinstripes. I believe it has more to do with the coaching and direction of the Houston organization.

I donít believe that itís a coincidence that Morton, Verlander and Cole are all putting up video game numbers. I mean, Verlander is 35 and going through a career rebirth in Houston. They obviously have intel the Yankees donít. $20 says Sonny Gray would be killing it in Houston right now.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Mark Berman

@MarkBermanFox26
    Follow Follow @MarkBermanFox26
    More
    ICYMI America League ERA leaders: #Astros pitchers, Charlie Morton, 0.72 ERA { Yankees Missed on} Gerrit Cole 0.96 ERA and @JustinVerlander 1.10 ERA at the top:

NYYF Legend

Letís assume for a second that Cashman actually traded for Cole - still no guarantee heíd be pitching this well in pinstripes. I believe it has more to do with the coaching and direction of the Houston organization.

I donít believe that itís a coincidence that Morton, Verlander and Cole are all putting up video game numbers. I mean, Verlander is 35 and going through a career rebirth in Houston. They obviously have intel the Yankees donít. $20 says Sonny Gray would be killing it in Houston right now.
    Meh, there were numerous articles this offseason about how Cole needs to throw fewer fastballs and thatís exactly what he is doing. If the Yankees couldnít figure that out, then just fire the entire analytics department along with Rothschild.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...m-gotten-worse

The potential value of pine tar was raised in a recent social media conversation about the early-season performance of Gerrit Cole. After it was suggested in a thread of tweets that the spin rate on Cole's four-seam fastball has jumped significantly, and there was speculation about the use of pine tar, the Indians' Trevor Bauer jumped into the conversation April 11 via Twitter

Trevor Bauer

@BauerOutage
    11 Apr
    Replying to @drivelinebases
    The rules should be enforced as theyíre written. Pine tar is more of a competitive advantage in a given game than steroids are.

Cole cheating? He's using pinetar?

NYYF Legend

Can a Moderator change the Thread name to:

Gerrit Cole the one who got away with it
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Thread Information