+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 2018 Tyler Wade Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    I'm not sure about Torres at 2B. He's starting his 4th straight game at 3B.
    Yep, and as much as this is likely to piss off the masses, I can totally see Andujar being the one sent down, with Torres taking over 3B while Wade stays put.

Not saying I agree with it, but just a vibe Iím getting.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Yep, and as much as this is likely to piss off the masses, I can totally see Andujar being the one sent down, with Torres taking over 3B while Wade stays put.

Right. And when Drury gets back they will likely send Wade down. Unless he suddenly starts to look like a ML player at the plate.

They can still get an extra year of control with Andujar by sending him down for a month or so, so I agree that is looking more likely.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    They can still get an extra year of control with Andujar by sending him down for a month or so, so I agree that is looking more likely.
    This is the answer (I too checked SWB to see him at 3B 4 games in row) but couldn't we send him down when Drury returns to get the extra year?

I can’t imderstand why nobody has corrected Wade’s batting stance which IMO is flawed to an extreme. He holds the bat way too high which results in having to travel a long way to get to the ball. This is really very basic and a flaw that I’ve seen coaches correct at the AAU and High School level.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    This is the answer (I too checked SWB to see him at 3B 4 games in row) but couldn't we send him down when Drury returns to get the extra year?
    Yes they could. But unfortunately they are going to shove Wade down our throat until Drury and Torres are ready. I would not doubt that Torreyes gets dropped when Drury and Torres are ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yes they could. But unfortunately they are going to shove Wade down our throat until Drury and Torres are ready. I would not doubt that Torreyes gets dropped when Drury and Torres are ready.
    That's not justifiable. Wade is 23 and with 100 major league PAs his OPS is .400. Torreyes is 25 and with 500 major league PAs his OPS Is .700. Maybe Wade needs another full season in AAA to see if can move it up a full notch but there's no reason to let him work on that in New York.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I canít imderstand why nobody has corrected Wadeís batting stance which IMO is flawed to an extreme. He holds the bat way too high which results in having to travel a long way to get to the ball. This is really very basic and a flaw that Iíve seen coaches correct at the AAU and High School level.
    I would assume it's because he has had quite a bit of success with that stance in the minors. Perhaps the professional developers know a little bit more than the AAU and HS coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    I would assume it's because he has had quite a bit of success with that stance in the minors. Perhaps the professional developers know a little bit more than the AAU and HS coaches.
    Minor league pitching is significantly different than ML pitching and his minor league numbers are not great. I believe that holding the bat above your head is not the best approach to hitting, especially ML quality pitching. Shortest distance to the ball is the best approach. But I respect the fact that you have a different opinion.

BTW my son attended a Kevin Long batting clinic and he preached shortest distance to the ball.

Minor league pitching is significantly different than ML pitching and his minor league numbers are not great. I believe that holding the bat above your head is not the best approach to hitting, especially ML quality pitching. Shortest distance to the ball is the best approach. But I respect the fact that you have a different opinion.

BTW my son attended a Kevin Long batting clinic and he preached shortest distance to the ball.
    I agree its not the usual batting stance but people have had success with holding the bat above the head. I just have a hard time thinking our developmental staff looks at his stance and if they see a problem, choose not to fix it.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Maybe. Not happy (Andujar to SWB) but the initial plan having Walker share 1B is a bust and Austin is surprising me hitting RHP so Austin will be mainly at 1B with Walker backup (RHP) and Walker mainly at 2B (1 H in last 3 games) with Wade backup, Torres at 3B with Torreyes backup. Walker needs to start hitting. As for Wade - I was worried based on last year but he was not used routinely but he looked good in ST - needs to go SWB when Drury returns.

I agree its not the usual batting stance but people have had success with holding the bat above the head. I just have a hard time thinking our developmental staff looks at his stance and if they see a problem, choose not to fix it.

https://youtu.be/sSlxt6hoyrw

did not julio franco hold the bat over his head..

Registered Account Donnybaseball72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    So did Craig Counsell

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    So did Craig Counsell
    as well as a certain well known Yankee shortstop
    ďLove is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.Ē Ė Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post

I've watched and been involved in the games for decades. I can count the number of people that I've seen be successful with that type of stance on one hand. Perhaps Wade will be one of the outliers who can be successful holding the bat over his head. IMO he will maximize his potential by lowering the bat in his stance. It should be around shoulder level to provide a shorter path to the ball. The result will be more line drives as opposed to chopping the ball into the ground.

NYYF Cy Young

I've watched and been involved in the games for decades. I can count the number of people that I've seen be successful with that type of stance on one hand. Perhaps Wade will be one of the outliers who can be successful holding the bat over his head. IMO he will maximize his potential by lowering the bat in his stance. It should be around shoulder level to provide a shorter path to the ball. The result will be more line drives as opposed to chopping the ball into the ground.
    Art, I agree, I don't think Wade is an outlier - it's not working. We may not post replies but Wade will be sent down (best thing for him) and they will be working on his batting technique. We saw this last year and now this year. He had a good ST and was not a regular last year but he has not improved.

NYYF Legend

Wade absolutely bombed in his first two MLB showings. Hard to figure out where they go from here with him, considering Toe is so well liked by his teammates and is actually producing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Wade absolutely bombed in his first two MLB showings. Hard to figure out where they go from here with him, considering Toe is so well liked by his teammates and is actually producing right now.
    I love his speed and defense. I hate his batting technique. IMO itís fixable but his stance to needs to be overhauled.

NYYF Legend

I love his speed and defense. I hate his batting technique. IMO it’s fixable but his stance to needs to be overhauled.
    Why didn't Albert Pujols say anything?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

When someone asked Cashman about calling up Torres, he likened it to Cano in 2005. He didn't call out players by name, but Wade is playing the part of Womack. He's on notice. He doesn't have the track record, so he's got to produce pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    When someone asked Cashman about calling up Torres, he likened it to Cano in 2005. He didn't call out players by name, but Wade is playing the part of Womack. He's on notice. He doesn't have the track record, so he's got to produce pretty soon.
    Screw that. Gleyber should be called up immediately to take over 2B. Demote Wade, and unless Walker turns it around soon, DFA him when Lind is in game shape to platoon with Austin at 1B until Bird is ready.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Screw that. Gleyber should be called up immediately to take over 2B. Demote Wade, and unless Walker turns it around soon, DFA him when Lind is in game shape to platoon with Austin at 1B until Bird is ready.
    You are assuming that Lind will give a representation of his 2017 numbers if called up.

Personally, I think most of these late signing hitters are going to suffer from Stephen Drew Syndrome.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    You are assuming that Lind will give a representation of his 2017 numbers if called up.

Personally, I think most of these late signing hitters are going to suffer from Stephen Drew Syndrome.
    I am assuming that he will provide better production from the left side than Walker, which shouldn’t be hard to do considering how putrid Walker has been...

NYYF Cy Young

(I think what if we had Nick Solak and didn't make that trade for Drury.)

Thread Information