+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 2018 Aroldis Chapman Peformance Thread

This guy has been great this year, and he has been using his slider more often. 28% this year compared to 19% last year. Some of the sliders appear to be hangers, but with most batters sitting fastball, he gets away with them.

Getting it done. Had a 309 ERA+ entering tonight. Damn.

NYYF Legend

Based on his body language and glaring I'm always pretty convinced Chapman hates Sanchez not just a little bit, but with a passion. Then they shake hands at the end of games and chat, and I rethink the position.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I just said the exact thing. He absolutely hates him.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

He's just ornery.

Still in awe that they leveraged Chappy (a rental) to get Gleyber. And now both are literally closing out games with 102 mph strikeouts and game-winning HRs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Still in awe that they leveraged Chappy (a rental) to get Gleyber. And now both are literally closing out games with 102 mph strikeouts and game-winning HRs.
    also, although less significant, Cashman got back Billy McKinney (we'll see where that goes) and the return of Adam Warren, who has been his good ol' knockabout pretty decent journeyman bullpen self since coming back.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Getting it done. Had a 309 ERA+ entering tonight. Damn.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can you please explain ERA+ ? I'm old-school, and just pay attention to ERA
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    also, although less significant, Cashman got back Billy McKinney (we'll see where that goes) and the return of Adam Warren, who has been his good ol' knockabout pretty decent journeyman bullpen self since coming back.
    McKinney, a LH'ed 23 yr old, could work his way into a supporting role once the Yanks figure out what to do with Ellsbury, Gardner, and Frazier.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can you please explain ERA+ ? I'm old-school, and just pay attention to ERA
    Itís park-adjusted ERA measured against the league average, which is set at 100. Higher than 100 is better, lower is worse.

NYYF Legend

He got his 20th save, which makes him the fourth Yankee to have three consecutive 20 save seasons. The first three were Rivera, Righetti, and Steve Farr. As of now, he should get points in the Cy Young voting. Among closers with at least 10 saves, he's third in ERA, third in save percentage, and third in WHIP. He's only pitcher with at least 10 saves, at least 1 win, and 0 losses. He's on pace for 49 saves, which would be the third most in Yankees history behind Rivera's 53 in 2004 and 50 in 2001. The most saves by a Yankee other than Rivera is 46 by Righetti in 1986, and Chapman could surpass that. His 1.17 ERA is better than Rivera ever had, and the only Yankee with an ERA that low in a 20 save season was Gossage's 0.77 ERA in 1981. Only six closers have had at least 40 saves and an ERA of 1.17 or lower. Among the closers who didn't do that are Trevor Hoffman, Eric Gagne, John Franco, Joe Nathan, Billy Wagner, and Francisco Rodriguez.

NYYF Legend

It has a + at the end of the letters.

As already stated, ERA+ (and ERA-, which is fangraph's version) incorporates ballpark and seasonal league factors. Some parks are more hitter friendly than others. And there's some years in which offenses thrive due to juiced balls, PEDs, etc ...

The goal is to evaluate pitchers for the current and surrounding seasons. All of those components are compressed into a single useful stat. Or at least it tries to. Similar to the wRC+ stat for hitters. I think it's a better method to compare performances across different seasons.

Chapman is in his 9th MLB season. Based on a quick read of his numbers, he's having the best season of his career right now (352 ERA+).

NYYF Legend

Not only that, but Chapman is on pace to break the record for highest Cy Young Predictor score by a reliever. The formula started in 2002, and Oakland's Billy Koch has the record for a reliever with 205.8 that year. Francisco Rodriguez's MLB record 62 save season is the second highest by a reliever. I did calculations on my own, and Rivera did not reach 200 in any year before the formula started. In 1990, Dennis Eckersley had 48 saves and a 0.61 ERA, and he got 193.8. Cleveland's Jose Mesa had a 177.4 in 1995 and might have reached 200 if the season was 162 games.

Edit: Chapman has not allowed more than 1 run or more than 2 hits in a game. The record for most games in a season with at least 1 inning, no more than 1 run, and no more than 2 hits is 71 by Atlanta's Jonny Venters in 2011 and Billy Koch in 2002 that I mentioned above. Chapman is on pace for 74 of those games. The most Rivera had was 63.
    Last edited by EvanJ; 06-17-18 at 09:47 AM.

NYYF Legend

If he opts out, you let him walk.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    If he opts out, you let him walk.
    Not only do you let him walk, you pack his stuff and hire a car to drive him to the airport of his choice.

NYYF Legend

Looks like the velo is all the way back - he hit 104.3 MPH on his final pitch tonight, the groundout from Cruz.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

All the numbers aside, I just loved seeing the joy on Chapmanís face when Stanton was rounding the bases after the walkoff HR. He was jumping up and down like an excited kid.

No doubt that a team needs enormous skill to win a WS, but it is probably the X Factor of team unity that helps in tough situations. This group of young players seem to have team spirit by the bucketload. What a season itís been -what a post-season it could be!

Dude hasn't gotten enough credit this year.

Calls a tool a tool

True. Just wish he was more economical with his pitch count. Hope he doesnt wear down.

NYYF Legend

Time to panic or was he removed for precautionary reasons?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Time to panic or was he removed for precautionary reasons?
    Boone said something after the game about them managing his knee that has been bothering him for a few weeks. More precautionary than anything (they didn't like what they saw) and they'll monitor the knee to see how it responds and go from there.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Boone said something after the game about them managing his knee that has been bothering him for a few weeks. More precautionary than anything (they didn't like what they saw) and they'll monitor the knee to see how it responds and go from there.
    That's what Boone said. But Chapman himself said on post-game it was first time he really felt it like that pitching. So color me concerned.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    That's what Boone said. But Chapman himself said on post-game it was first time he really felt it like that pitching. So color me concerned.
    I agree. So does Flaherty.

If he's out for an extended period of time, I'll be very, very worried. I just can't see things getting better in a relatively short amount of time. My weekend is already ruined with this news and the uncertainty.

Thread Information