+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Domingo Germán Performance Thread

Great performance. Looked filthy last night. Obvious why the Yankees like him so much, now hopefully he can harness it going forward.

Feel like he's locked in two back to back really solid outings that showcased not just his talent but his mental toughness as well. Most impressed with the last inning where he was in a jam and just buckled down and kept it scoreless. Dude's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Great performance. Looked filthy last night.
    He was a throw-in in the Nate Eovaldi trade, and I recall a few people saying he might be the headliner in the long run. Three years later, that might be coming true.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    He was a throw-in in the Nate Eovaldi trade, and I recall a few people saying he might be the headliner in the long run. Three years later, that might be coming true.
    Not a throw-in, but more of a high-upside lottery ticket. The 5-player trade was: Prado and Phelps to Miami; Eovaldi, Garrett Jones and German to NYY.

Eovaldi was certainly the headliner. But Cashman is keen on hedging bets when it comes to significant trades. Similar to investors who diversify their portfolio to mitigate risk. He's able to acquire lower level pitchers with upside. German was the asset that reduced the risk on that trade.

NYYF Legend

Step up or step off Domingo.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Germán pitched in the 2014 Futures Game in July just prior to him being traded to the Yankees that December. I remember seeing him striking out Kris Bryant and Joey Gallo in that game and saying to myself, this skinny dude has some nasty stuff.

NYYF Cy Young

Unreal isn't it? I still wish we kept him in SWB to stretch out and hopefully get one more pitch like a slider but I know he has 4 pitches (good). I just worry when his curve is not working, which I think we saw earlier. We have 2 potential SP: Green and Germán and hopefully Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Unreal isn't it? I still wish we kept him in SWB to stretch out and hopefully get one more pitch like a slider but I know he has 4 pitches (good). I just worry when his curve is not working, which I think we saw earlier. We have 2 potential SP: Green and Germán and hopefully Sheffield.
    To me his curve looks more like a slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Germán pitched in the 2014 Futures Game in July just prior to him being traded to the Yankees that December. I remember seeing him striking out Kris Bryant and Joey Gallo in that game and saying to myself, this skinny dude has some nasty stuff.

I didn't realize the Yankees non tendered him after 2015. I wonder if they had an under the table deal to retain him because it seem inconceivable to me that some team would not take a flyer on his stuff when he was available to everyone.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    To me his curve looks more like a slider.
    You are probably right - I use PitchFX and I don't really don't know the difference. I think PitchFX calls it a curve because it's 80 mph (Morton's and Germán's, last time 60%) and the break. I say this because my low opinion is he can easily do a slider because he has a great curve (or slider). This is why I wanted him in SWB to get one more pitch but your post was correct - we needed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I didn't realize the Yankees non tendered him after 2015. I wonder if they had an under the table deal to retain him because it seem inconceivable to me that some team would not take a flyer on his stuff when he was available to everyone.
    He signed about a week or so after the non-tendered and he was coming off TJS so that's probably the case.

NYYF Legend

Yep, I remember that as well. Cashman stay winning.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

Good Luck today....

Love his pitching repertoire and stuff.

NYYF Legend

He has frontline starter stuff. He just needs to have decent command to be the one.

The whole game was tremendous but that 6th inning was so impressive. All kinds of life and movement on his stuff to keep himself in there and spare us a Chasen Shreve appearance.

Well this is exciting. So much movement.

Yea, so, some more of that please
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    The whole game was tremendous but that 6th inning was so impressive. All kinds of life and movement on his stuff to keep himself in there and spare us a Chasen Shreve appearance.
    ...and COMMAND. That last K was a thing of beauty in terms of location as well as life and movement.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

No question - he has earned another start.

He also gives the Yankees more flexibility in handling Monty's elbow injury if needed.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Just imagine how good this team can be if German is for real.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Just imagine how good this team can be if German is for real.
    Dude has some nasty stuff.

He certainly has the stuff. I thought that was better pitching than I have ever seen out of Montgomery. If he continues to command his superior stuff as he did today, he has to stay in the rotation regardless of who is healthy.

But he has to show consistency of course. Let's hope he can do so.

NYYF Legend

Control is going to be his problem. A better offensive team will foul some things off, not chase as much. He's going to have to show he's able to repeatedly throw strikes to be dominant going forward.

I absolutely love his stuff overall.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Thread Information