+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 72 73 74 75
Results 1,851 to 1,866 of 1866

Re: 2018 Gary Sánchez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Sanchez is just the most stark, obvious example of the approach the entire Yankees team has embraced.

The ridiculous "too many home runs" debate that crops up on this forum all the time misses the point -- it's not that home runs are bad, it's that swinging for the fences regardless of the inning, the score, the number of outs, the count, or who's on base is bad.
    Of course, you are entirely right about this, including the "home-runs-are-bad" straw man arguments. One thing that worries me is that the selling-out-for-power model might corrupt people like Torres and Andujar. I was surprised by their power numbers, especially for Torres. I didn't think he had that much pop. I understand that there may be significant power advantages to getting out of the Scranton-WB park and into the richly lighted nighttime environment of The Stadium.
    I hope that's what it is. Torres' contact approach (he even called himself that) seemed to diminish a bit as the season wore on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Of course, you are entirely right about this, including the "home-runs-are-bad" straw man arguments. One thing that worries me is that the selling-out-for-power model might corrupt people like Torres and Andujar. I was surprised by their power numbers, especially for Torres. I didn't think he had that much pop. I understand that there may be significant power advantages to getting out of the Scranton-WB park and into the richly lighted nighttime environment of The Stadium.
    I hope that's what it is. Torres' contact approach (he even called himself that) seemed to diminish a bit as the season wore on.
    Selling out for power has been a yankee trademark for years. Maybe its a cashmn thing. I think it introduces a lot more variance as well.
    https://gfycat.com/ComplexObedientArgusfish

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Selling out for power has been a yankee trademark for years. Maybe its a cashmn thing. I think it introduces a lot more variance as well.
    It’s not a Cashman thing. It’s all across baseball. It’s how the game is played these days. There have been numerous articles on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Sanchez is just the most stark, obvious example of the approach the entire Yankees team has embraced.

The ridiculous "too many home runs" debate that crops up on this forum all the time misses the point -- it's not that home runs are bad, it's that swinging for the fences regardless of the inning, the score, the number of outs, the count, or who's on base is bad.

first year gary hit 299 20 home runs in 50 games.. second season gary hit 278 33 home runs 90 rbi's.. for some reason last year gary became pull happy.. gary first 2 years he used the entire field.. that is what made him successful... he got to get back to that....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    first year gary hit 299 20 home runs in 50 games.. second season gary hit 278 33 home runs 90 rbi's.. for some reason last year gary became pull happy.. gary first 2 years he used the entire field.. that is what made him successful... he got to get back to that....
    I agree with this. Gary's approach to hitting is fixable: recognize the pitch sooner, and start your swing a little later if you're not sure about the pitch.

Someone needs to teach several of these Yankee hitters how to consistently make more contact and therefore cut down on the swing-and-misses.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Gary Sanchez is going to have a left shoulder surgery, Cashman says. Still expected to be ready for Opening Day. Has been dealing with problem for a while. #Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Gary Sanchez is going to have a left shoulder surgery, Cashman says. Still expected to be ready for Opening Day. Has been dealing with problem for a while. #Yankees
    Wow the injuries keep on coming for Sanchez and the yankees in general. Someone needs to step in and try to save Sanchez's career by not having him catch. He should be a full time dh. His body is breaking down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanKu...29840681738241

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    Wow the injuries keep on coming for Sanchez and the yankees in general. Someone needs to step in and try to save Sanchez's career by not having him catch. He should be a full time dh. His body is breaking down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanKu...29840681738241
    Does catching put any particular strain on the non-throwing shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yes. The motion of reaching your glove hand into the LH hitter's batters box to try and stab at a pitch in the dirt rather than dropping and blocking it puts material stain on the non-throwing shoulder.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Yes. The motion of reaching your glove hand into the LH hitter's batters box to try and stab at a pitch in the dirt rather than dropping and blocking it puts material stain on the non-throwing shoulder.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    That’s fine, it was a real question.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    At the time last night, i did not know that the injury was on his non throwing shoulder. But i do think moving the glove around reaching to block pitches does not help a bad shoulder. Regardless, he was on the DL twice for extended period of time last season, and is having shoulder surgery in the off season. For a 25/26 year old player that is not good. Having him catch more in 2019 and beyond could be a big mistake. Sanchez's value was always in his hitting.

I suppose the surgery will limit his ability to work on his defense this offseason. Bummer.

NYYF Legend

I would not be surprised if he becomes a DH in the near future. He has the body that will break down often in the future.

NYYF Legend

I would hope that Sanchez would look back on the 2018 season and be upset with himself. Defense aside, his entire approach to playing the game was flawed and he should have some concerns about himself if he truly thinks that he had the right mindset this last season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    So, June.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I would not be surprised if he becomes a DH in the near future. He has the body that will break down often in the future.

gary got a good body for a catcher..salvador perez kansas city royals catcher who older bigger and heavier then gary catches a ton of games every season.. it's not his body type that is the issue gary had fluke injuries mostly related to swinging..the bat...

Thread Information