+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27 67 74 75 76 77
Results 1,901 to 1,912 of 1912

Re: 2018 Gary Sánchez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I totally agree with this, but where the specific issue is for me around this currently is that we have two 26 year old superstars in FA, Harper seemingly set up a lawn chair in RF for most of last season but the much better two way player Machado is labelled as the lazy one (I know this is the Gary thread but I do think it's related).

Both are great players and should be looked at through the same microscope if possible, both have strengths and weaknesses and should be judged accordingly. Machado is pretty clearly to me a better overall player in a vacuum plus he will be cheaper and he is a much better fit for NY's situation, so when I hear people strongly wanting Harper over Machado, I quickly run out of potential reasons for that in my own head (one legitimate one is we could use a big lefty hitter or two, that to me is the only major plus in Harper's column).
    I think I was the first and loudest to call out the hypocrisy of those saying Machado shouldn't be signed due to "laziness" while advocating signing Harper... but I think it's a reach to call it ethnically motivated given Machado's very public and unflattering comments. And Sanchez has had documented issues with work ethic before, and allowed a runner to score from 2B on a passed ball. They've not really done anything to dispel those labels, as overblown as you or I might think they are.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think I was the first and loudest to call out the hypocrisy of those saying Machado shouldn't be signed due to "laziness" while advocating signing Harper... but I think it's a reach to call it ethnically motivated given Machado's very public and unflattering comments. And Sanchez has had documented issues with work ethic before, and allowed a runner to score from 2B on a passed ball. They've not really done anything to dispel those labels, as overblown as you or I might think they are.
    What really bothered me about Gary issues this past year, is the frequency that Boone was asked about it during his post game and how the team addressed it. Time and again the standard answer seemed to be that they had not spoken to him about it, or that I’m sure Gary already knows that he needs to do a better job with that, or I plan on speaking with him later about it. And even worse, was having to see a team mate address it in the dugout while the bubblegum chewing Boone just stood there like a statue on the top step all game long. And I too think that it’s a stretch brining ethnicity into play when discussing Machado. At this point, if the Yankees were lucky enough to sign Machado, and the hustle issue were to come into play during a game, I firmly believe that Boone would not even address it.

Released Outright

Machado is a very possible HOF player , if you can get him do it . It would very nice to get that " Frolic " at 2b after the game is over between DiDi & Torres tucked away !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Great article. Thanks.

So, Gary played with a nagging groin strain and a chronic shoulder problem bad enough that he needed surgery. But some posters here will tell you he’s lazy and that was at the root of his bad season, that the cure is a good swift kick in the butt.

Then we have the posters who will rail against his defense, ignoring the fact that his arm is so good that baserunners won’t even attempt to steal when he’s behind the plate. But they’ll run on the same pitching staff when Romine’s behind the plate to the tune of 45 SB off Romine vs 28 off Sanchez in fewer innings caught by Romine.

The negativity of some fans against our team’s own players is something that used to be the special talent of Red Sox fans. They would eat their own. They drove all time greats like Wade Boggs and Roger Clemens out of town to the ultimate benefit of the Yankees.

I hope an article like this will get Yankee fans to appreciate what we have.
    Sanchez caught 653 innings
    Threw out 12 of 28 base runners
    Allowed 18 bassed balls
    45 wild pitches

Romine caught 611.1 innings
    Threw out 16 of 45 base runners
    Allowed 5 passed balls
    17 wild pitches

So factoring all that in, romine allowed a baserunner to advance .08% of the time while Sanchez allowed a baserunner to advance .12% of the time.

The race-baiting posts are troublesome. What the hell happened to this place?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    The race-baiting posts are troublesome. What the hell happened to this place?
    I was going to let this post go without a comment until I saw the garbage you have in your signature. Take the racially-charged political commentary somewhere else.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I was going to let this post go without a comment until I saw the garbage you have in your signature. Take the racially-charged political commentary somewhere else.

Commentary? Yes. Racially charged? In whose world? Yours?

One is a blatant, disgusting anti-Semite whose color is irrelevant, the other a laughable comment by the minority leader of the House. What does any of this have to do with race?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Commentary? Yes. Racially charged? In whose world? Yours?

One is a blatant, disgusting anti-Semite whose color is irrelevant, the other a laughable comment by the minority leader of the House. What does that have to do with race?
    I'm not going to engage you on this.

We all have political opinions -- mine are pretty strong, and I like to think well-informed, but I have studiously avoided making political commentary on this forum, even in the areas of the forum that are designed for that purpose.

Post whatever you want in the political forum. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks over there who will be more than happy to take you to school. But by putting this stuff in your signature, you are clearly attempting to skirt the rules of the forum by inserting politics into every one of your posts.

I'm not interested in taking this issue to the mods, but I have a feeling that eventually one of them is going to notice and you'll be hearing about it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I'm not going to engage you on this.

We all have political opinions -- mine are pretty strong, and I like to think well-informed, but I have studiously avoided making political commentary on this forum, even in the areas of the forum that are designed for that purpose.

Post whatever you want in the political forum. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks over there who will be more than happy to take you to school. But by putting this stuff in your signature, you are clearly attempting to skirt the rules of the forum by inserting politics into every one of your posts.

I'm not interested in taking this issue to the mods, but I have a feeling that eventually one of them is going to notice and you'll be hearing about it.

You're perfect, I'm not.

I just wanted to toss out there that I believe Sanchez is not a .188 hitter. I’m calling it now; he is going to trend back up to what we expected and what we saw in 2016 & 2017. I’m not worried about him as our #1 catcher and DHing whenever he can. I think the passed balls problem will be worked out and get better. I believe he was embarrassed and will do what it takes.

That is all.

Edited: for my stupid girardi comment
    Last edited by Hitman23; 12-21-18 at 03:03 AM.
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Girardi?

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Girardi?
    holy ................ what a brain fart.

Ok, forget that part. I had read an article about his and girardi’s relationship and what they were doing and I crossed some connection in my brain. Something misfired.

I am ashamed.
    Sign Bryce Harper!!!!
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Thread Information