+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
    Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

2018 Gary Sánchez Performance Thread

As of 8 (SSS) games: 32 AB, .063/1/3/-24 OPS+.

I have no doubt whatsoever that he'll start raking soon and put up good numbers; he's just too good of a hitter.

I'm also curious to see if he'll equal or surpass last year's numbers.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: 2018 Gary Sánchez Performance Thread

Gary's struggled so much at the plate this year he's reached the point where his average can no longer get any lower.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Gary's struggled so much at the plate this year he's reached the point where his average can no longer get any lower.
    Yeah, we can rag on Stanton all we want but Gary has to step it up. He has been absolutely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Yeah, we can rag on Stanton all we want but Gary has to step it up. He has been absolutely awful.
    He started out slowly last year as well if I recall. Health bearing, it will come.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    He started out slowly last year as well if I recall. Health bearing, it will come.
    He didn't start out slowly. He was injured for the first month. He was OK when he came back in early May.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    He didn't start out slowly. He was injured for the first month. He was OK when he came back in early May.
    3 for 24 is a slow start even if it not as bad as this year.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Bird on a bad ankle last April, hit better.

NYYF Legend

He has literally been the worst hitter in baseball through these first two weeks of the season, with nobody else even close to him.

At 16.2% so far he's well under his career strikeout rate, which is a great sign, and he's put several hard-hit balls in play, but he's also walked a grand total of zero times in his first 37 PAs. After posting 10.5% and 7.6% walk-rates in his first two seasons, he's started off this year with a 0.0%. There's some really bad luck on BABIP (.034 ), but also some terrible plate discipline.

Hopefully the Kraken emerges sooner rather than later.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    3 for 24 is a slow start even if it not as bad as this year.
    He played in 5 games in April of last year before being injured. He was 3 for 20.

NYYF Legend

Not really worried about his batted balls, but I still don't get what happened to him around the middle of last year. He just stopped walking altogether (rolling BB% chart by month shows this), and it's carried over.

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.asp...pe=mult&gt1=15

He's seeing a really low % of pitches in the strike zone (pitchers catching on to him swinging at anything), but his swing % has not fallen. He's making a ton of contact on pitches outside the zone, which results in terrible contact and outs.

He kind of abandoned the patient approach he had through the middle of last year. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    He played in 5 games in April of last year before being injured. He was 3 for 20.
    3 for his first 24 AB’s is a slow start. 3 for 20 is a slow start as well.

If I remember correctly he kills Price, and he just missed a pitch yesterday. Might break out tonight.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Working on defense too much. Someone needs to tell him we don't care that much. Worry about hitting.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Not really worried about his batted balls, but I still don't get what happened to him around the middle of last year. He just stopped walking altogether (rolling BB% chart by month shows this), and it's carried over.

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.asp...pe=mult&gt1=15

He's seeing a really low % of pitches in the strike zone (pitchers catching on to him swinging at anything), but his swing % has not fallen. He's making a ton of contact on pitches outside the zone, which results in terrible contact and outs.

He kind of abandoned the patient approach he had through the middle of last year. Not sure why.
    It could be because he felt he was letting too many good pitches go to waste. While is OBP was lower in the 2nd half of last year, .332 vs .360 first half, his slugging was higher in the 2nd half, .564 vs .491, and also had more homeruns 20 vs 13.

Given this data, I'm assuming he started swinging at more good pitches leading to less walks but more homeruns.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    It could be because he felt he was letting too many good pitches go to waste. While is OBP was lower in the 2nd half of last year, .332 vs .360 first half, his slugging was higher in the 2nd half, .564 vs .491, and also had more homeruns 20 vs 13.

Given this data, I'm assuming he started swinging at more good pitches leading to less walks but more homeruns.
    The slugging is interesting (HRs somewhat less so, since he was injured for part of the first half), but he's a much less valuable hitter if he's going to have like a 5% BB rate.

Most power hitters maintain their power while walking a bunch (Judge, Harper, Goldschmidt, Stanton, Bryant, pretty much every other star power hitter), which is part of why they are great to have.

And the stats in fangraphs that I referenced show it - he's swinging at pitches out of the zone now. He has to turn that around at least somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakimobzta View Post
    If I remember correctly he kills Price, and he just missed a pitch yesterday. Might break out tonight.
    Gary continues the Price ownage.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Nice to see him break out last night. But, goodness, how low was his average that he went 3-5 this early in the season and it only bumped him to .122. Hope he can keep it going. He b*tch-slapped that first homer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Working on defense too much. Someone needs to tell him we don't care that much. Worry about hitting.
    But the truth is his defense has been really solid. I haven't seen anything so far that made me think of him as a liability, either in receiving pitches or on plays at the plate.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    But the truth is his defense has been really solid. I haven't seen anything so far that made me think of him as a liability, either in receiving pitches or on plays at the plate.
    Care to rethink that position? The opportunity cost is too high having this guy learn a position he’s just not good enough at playing.

Care to rethink that position? The opportunity cost is too high having this guy learn a position he’s just not good enough at playing.
    Well he is good enough so I don’t know the point you’re trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Well he is good enough so I don’t know the point you’re trying to make.
    No, he's not.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

No, he's not.
    Is your opinion due to his blocking pitches/throws or just an overall assessment?

He had a bad game tonight but up until this point I stand by what I said, in the first 11 games he had not shown any of the terrible lapses from last year.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Sanchez was digging 55-foot pitches out of the dirt all night. It looked bad because Gray had NOTHING today. How about Wade making a decent throw from the lip of the grass in the infield. Or Stanton not overrunning a flyball into a ground rule double. There's confirmation bias when it comes to Sanchez's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Is your opinion due to his blocking pitches/throws or just an overall assessment?
    Overall assessment. I'm aware he has a great arm. Bottom line is he's a lousy goalie and that crops up time and time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Sanchez was digging 55-foot pitches out of the dirt all night. It looked bad because Gray had NOTHING today. How about Wade making a decent throw from the lip of the grass in the infield. Or Stanton not overrunning a flyball into a ground rule double. There's confirmation bias when it comes to Sanchez's defense.
    Wade's throw was a good example of Sanchez letting a ball get by him that shouldn't have. It went right through his hands. Thank you for bringing that one up.

Thread Information