+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

2018 CC Sabathia Performance Thread

Pitched poorly. Might be injured. Give me German, please no Cessa.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 CC Sabathia Performance Thread

@BryanHoch

CC Sabathia left tonight's game with right hip soreness. He will undergo an MRI.

German me. We don't need old people pitching through injuries.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Right hip soreness, MRI on deck.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

He got his 238nd win, which gives him sole possession of 60th. Two players including David Wells have 239. He needs 12 wins for 250, which 47 players have done, and Colon could do that before Sabathia.

Just keep inducing soft contact and let the offense take care of the rest. Sabathia 2.0 is more than okay.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Just keep inducing soft contact and let the offense take care of the rest. Sabathia 2.0 is more than okay.
    Can't figure out why the defense has sucked behind him the last few times out.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    With how he has pitched 2016-2018, makes me wonder what really was behind the lean years in his contract. Maybe it wasnt knees or natural age related decline or being underweight or overweight. Maybe it was all about the alcoholism. Wonder what his numbers could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    With how he has pitched 2016-2018, makes me wonder what really was behind the lean years in his contract. Maybe it wasnt knees or natural age related decline or being underweight or overweight. Maybe it was all about the alcoholism. Wonder what his numbers could have been.
    He basically had to reinvent himself as a pitcher. Loss of velocity through natural aging is something that every starter goes through if they play long enough. A successful transition is not something that happens overnight, if at all.

He's got a kitchen sink repertoire consisting of cutters, 2-seamers, slider, and sometimes curve. It's actually been fun watching him.

Win #124 as a Yankee, passing Mussina for 12th all-time.
    /Erik Boland

NYYF Legend

I would be very surprise if he wouldn't re-sign with the Yankees for one more year. The Yankees value his presence in the clubhouse a lot. And his performance is well justified for a No.5 spot, averaging 150 IP, 121 ERA+ in last 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I would be very surprise if he wouldn't re-sign with the Yankees for one more year. The Yankees value his presence in the clubhouse a lot. And his performance is well justified for a No.5 spot, averaging 150 IP, 121 ERA+ in last 2 seasons.
    I'm not sure there's a more beloved guy in the clubhouse ... but that's mostly speculation on my part.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I would much rather have him pitch 120 innings as the long man, 3-4 innings at a time. That way no batter ever sees him for a third time. The 5th spot has to be open audition for the young players in the system. We have to develop our own starters. CC should be last resort for the 5th spot, if no one else sticks.

I would much rather have him pitch 120 innings as the long man, 3-4 innings at a time. That way no batter ever sees him for a third time. The 5th spot has to be open audition for the young players in the system. We have to develop our own starters. CC should be last resort for the 5th spot, if no one else sticks.
    This past season, CC raked in a cool $10M and he started 29 games and his ERA was better than in 2012, his last good season. If I was Cashman and CC wants to return, I would not pay him more than $6M due to his wonky knee which just got operated again.

I think heís fine in the 5th spot. Our 6th, 7th and 8th starter always get plenty of opportunities and thatís the best place to develop young starters and let them earn their way and hopefully prove worthy to displace one of the top 5 if everyone is healthy

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I think heís fine in the 5th spot. Our 6th, 7th and 8th starter always get plenty of opportunities and thatís the best place to develop young starters and let them earn their way and hopefully prove worthy to displace one of the top 5 if everyone is healthy

time for the yanks yo move on already cc had his day in the sun...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    time for the yanks yo move on already cc had his day in the sun...
    I agree that this old war horse should be put out to pasture.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post

There is an opportunity cost of giving him the 5th spot, even though he can handle it.

NYYF Legend

The reason I don't want him back is simple (and may have been written in another thread) - they're likely to give him a postseason start based on pedigree and leadership and all that fun stuff, and I'd like to avoid that like the plague.

Cc

Considering CC's age and probable struggles through a long season, would it make sense to move him to the bullpen where in one or two appearances a week he could throw considerably fewer pitches, but last throughout the season?
    I think he could make the adjustment and possibly still make a rare start.
    While we seek another starter!

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: Cc

He was an effective pitcher last year, so no.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by palermop View Post
    Considering CC's age and probable struggles through a long season, would it make sense to move him to the bullpen where in one or two appearances a week he could throw considerably fewer pitches, but last throughout the season?
    Given what he produced last season, my answer is no.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

1 = 0.033814

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    1 = 0.033814
    You forgot to tie that reference to Floz. If they don't convert cc, they can convert Floz easily enough.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I could really use a piece of 3.14159265359.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by palermop View Post

(plan?) CC is going to start unless Brian has a trade (my fear is Andķjar). I would wait and see how he does. My bigger concern in Boone taking him out in 4-5 inning. I do like to have Monty (LHP) to replace him if Monty is better and healthy. I agree with you. I have had enough of Cessa and feel CC is who I want and feel he would be a solid long reliever (better than German ?). What I like is CC does not walk batters or give up HRs but he doesn't have FB for a K anymore with RISP (concern).

Thread Information