+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Characterological!!
    Yeah, itís a word, at least in psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    It's a bad post because I said it in a mean way. Fine, I get it. It's not a bad post in the sense that it happens to be true. CC got sober in 2015 at the age of 35 after 3 terrible seasons. Good for him, he pitched better, but he was never an ace again. In fact, the only thing I left out is the fact that more recently his bodyweight has caused his right knee to deteriorate - but I won't go there because apparently some people still have a touch of the hero-worship thing when it comes to their favorite professional athletes.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be "Characterological" - I'm just trying to explain why someone should retire at 38 when some might consider that young.
    Yes, he got sober at the age of 35 - but we donít know how long it had been a problem, or what kind of problem, or how it affected his pitching. And since when is 38 young for retirement for a pitcher - especially when the pitcher has bad knees, lots of miles on his arm, many millions in the bank, and no contract?

I have no particular hero worship for CC or any other athlete; Mickey Mantle pretty well stomped out any possibility of that. I wouldnít even describe CC as a particular favorite of mine. But any connection you make between his drinking and the fact that his already-long career isnít longer is just a made-up story. (Youíd have been better off sticking to his weight and his knees.).

Re: 2018 CC Sabathia Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, itís a word, at least in psychology.
    I have officially learned something today, just in time to go to bed.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Phinstripes View Post
    Guess I'm in the minority here, but I would 100 percent support CC coming back for 1 yr/$10M again. Starting pitching doesn't grow on trees, and it doesn't come cheap.
    Yea, honestly it depends on who else we can realistically have. He's got to be your 5th starter though and a placeholder for someone like Sheffield. As a depth piece, fine, but they have to add the top of the rotation guys. I don't know that they'd bring CC back nor would he want to come back in a position where they're unlikely to give him a chance to pitch in big games. I'm not opposed to bringing him back, but don't etch his name in stone into a 5-man rotation and especially not a playoff rotation. He's a nice guy to help you get through the regular season and maybe out of the bullpen in the playoffs, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Yea, honestly it depends on who else we can realistically have. He's got to be your 5th starter though and a placeholder for someone like Sheffield. As a depth piece, fine, but they have to add the top of the rotation guys. I don't know that they'd bring CC back nor would he want to come back in a position where they're unlikely to give him a chance to pitch in big games. I'm not opposed to bringing him back, but don't etch his name in stone into a 5-man rotation and especially not a playoff rotation. He's a nice guy to help you get through the regular season and maybe out of the bullpen in the playoffs, but that's about it.
    Fair points. You slot him in as your No. 5 starter, and if he under-performs or gets injured, you can look to the farm. Depth at starting pitching is important, and CC helps with that at a very reasonable rate.

NYYF Legend

I would be very surprise if he wouldn't re-sign with the Yankees for one more year. The Yankees value his presence in the clubhouse a lot. And his performance is well justified for a No.5 spot, averaging 150 IP, 121 ERA+ in last 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I would be very surprise if he wouldn't re-sign with the Yankees for one more year. The Yankees value his presence in the clubhouse a lot. And his performance is well justified for a No.5 spot, averaging 150 IP, 121 ERA+ in last 2 seasons.
    I'm not sure there's a more beloved guy in the clubhouse ... but that's mostly speculation on my part.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I would much rather have him pitch 120 innings as the long man, 3-4 innings at a time. That way no batter ever sees him for a third time. The 5th spot has to be open audition for the young players in the system. We have to develop our own starters. CC should be last resort for the 5th spot, if no one else sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I would much rather have him pitch 120 innings as the long man, 3-4 innings at a time. That way no batter ever sees him for a third time. The 5th spot has to be open audition for the young players in the system. We have to develop our own starters. CC should be last resort for the 5th spot, if no one else sticks.
    This past season, CC raked in a cool $10M and he started 29 games and his ERA was better than in 2012, his last good season. If I was Cashman and CC wants to return, I would not pay him more than $6M due to his wonky knee which just got operated again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
    Time to retire. He shouldn't have boozed away all his talent. It's too late to get it back.
    That's his fault, no one else's.
    I get that you probably dont like him on a personal level but to say that all of his talent had dissipated is kinda.. silly to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I think heís fine in the 5th spot. Our 6th, 7th and 8th starter always get plenty of opportunities and thatís the best place to develop young starters and let them earn their way and hopefully prove worthy to displace one of the top 5 if everyone is healthy

I think heís fine in the 5th spot. Our 6th, 7th and 8th starter always get plenty of opportunities and thatís the best place to develop young starters and let them earn their way and hopefully prove worthy to displace one of the top 5 if everyone is healthy

time for the yanks yo move on already cc had his day in the sun...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    time for the yanks yo move on already cc had his day in the sun...
    I agree that this old war horse should be put out to pasture.

Calls a tool a tool

There is an opportunity cost of giving him the 5th spot, even though he can handle it.

NYYF Legend

The reason I don't want him back is simple (and may have been written in another thread) - they're likely to give him a postseason start based on pedigree and leadership and all that fun stuff, and I'd like to avoid that like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The reason I don't want him back is simple (and may have been written in another thread) - they're likely to give him a postseason start based on pedigree and leadership and all that fun stuff, and I'd like to avoid that like the plague.
    Agreed. The best chance to win the ALDS this year was to roll Happ on 3 days rest after throwing only ~40 pitches in Game 1 and then go to Tanaka for Game 5. Instead CC not only gets a start but then is left in there to get hit around after playing Russian Roulette for the first 2 innings. It almost felt like Boone was scared to 'embarrass' CC and disrupt the farewell tour, when it was apparent to everyone else that he should have been lifted immediately after hitting Benintendi to start the inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    Agreed. The best chance to win the ALDS this year was to roll Happ on 3 days rest after throwing only ~40 pitches in Game 1 and then go to Tanaka for Game 5. Instead CC not only gets a start but then is left in there to get hit around after playing Russian Roulette for the first 2 innings. It almost felt like Boone was scared to 'embarrass' CC and disrupt the farewell tour, when it was apparent to everyone else that he should have been lifted immediately after hitting Benintendi to start the inning.
    Sentimentalism should be a factor in a playoff game. That's Brian Cashman's weakness. Let's move on CC Father Time Sabathia.

They could give him the money if they wanted to without doing that, they probably wonít but they could
    In fact, they will.

The New York Yankees gave Sabathia a $500,000 performance bonus, even though the 38-year-old left-hander was ejected from his final regular-season start six outs shy of the 155 innings specified in his contract for the payment.

"We thought it was a very nice gesture by the Yankees," Sabathia's agent, Kyle Thousand of Roc Nation Sports, told The Associated Press on Monday. "CC was very appreciative and is really excited to come back next year and, hopefully, win a championship."
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...bonus-ejection

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    That's a great move by the Yankees.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    That is such an awesome thing for them to do. Class move. Add that to how they dealt with his alcoholism problem and it says a lot about management.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

He will be a player and coach, I think, this year. The Yanks need to get another starting pitcher for next year when CC gets hurt!

NYYF Cy Young

CC underwent angioplasty surgery and had a stent put in. Not sure Iíve heard of an active athlete getting that... hope is doing okay and recovers! Based on the article heís going to be fine and ready for opening day but still scary.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...gioplasty.html

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    CC underwent angioplasty surgery and had a stent put in. Not sure I’ve heard of an active athlete getting that... hope is doing okay and recovers! Based on the article he’s going to be fine and ready for opening day but still scary.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...gioplasty.html
    He's going to be on a serious blood thinning medication for a minimum of 90 days most likely a year. Any injury especially to the head could have serious consequences. A line drive to the head would most likely be fatal. He shouldn't play till he is off the meds.
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

NYYF Cy Young

Speedy recovery Carston Charles Sabathia!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Glad to see that he is going to be fine by the Spring. I bet Cashman is looking for another starter in the next few few months!

Thread Information