+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17 57 64 65 66 67
Results 1,651 to 1,659 of 1659
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Sentimentality for sure. Also if they were gone it would be the first time going on 24 seasons that the Yankees would have no one on their team with a Yankees WS ring.
    The problem there is not winning World Series, not the failure to pay aging vets. The '96 and '77 teams didn't have any (I assume, I didn't check) and did pretty well.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    IMHO, Cashman has an affinity for being too sentimental towards veteran players whose glory years are fading in the rear view mirror such as re-signing Gardy and CC. That is $7M and $10M wasted respectfully for 2019. This budding team no longer needs veteran leadership.

Last season (2018), how many times have Gardy failed at the plate and CC's wonky knees cost the team?!
    I'm going to disagree with this statement. Lots of guys here that don't have much experience dealing with pressure and adversity in such a gigantic market, both locally and nationally. Guys like Gardner & CC have value as leaders as well as players. I'm sure Cashman knew he could get younger, more talented players to fill these two roles - yet he chose to give up some production in exchange for the leadership these two can provide..
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    For a pitcher who fades in the stretch and doesnít get it done in the playoffs? That would have been a huge mistake. Sanchez is potentially a Hall of Fame catcher and Sevy just might be the better pitcher when all is said and done. Not to mention the fact that when Sale was available, the Yankees werenít in a position to take advantage of what he brought. Sevvy and Sanchez were/are key pieces of the rebuild.
    When you talk about fading in the stretch and doesn't get it done in the playoffs are you referring to Sale or Severibo? You're right either way. Just want you to clarify. You're taking a big leap calling Sanchez a hall of fame catcher. He's a guess hitter with a poor glove and lazy tendencies.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    The problem there is not winning World Series, not the failure to pay aging vets. The '96 and '77 teams didn't have any (I assume, I didn't check) and did pretty well.

'77 - Reggie.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    '77 - Reggie.
    Yankees WS rings. Reggie wasnít on 64 Yanks.
    CC and Brett, if unsigned this season, there would be zero Yankees for the first time in the last 24 seasons on the roster without Yankee WS ring.
    Thatís where IMO sentimentality comes in.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Yankees WS rings. Reggie wasnít on 64 Yanks.
    CC and Brett, if unsigned this season, there would be zero Yankees for the first time in the last 24 seasons on the roster without Yankee WS ring.
    Thatís where IMO sentimentality comes in.

They could have kept Robertson. He has a Yankees WS ring.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They could have kept Robertson. He has a Yankees WS ring.
    So does Jake Gibbs. That doesn't mean he'd be helpful.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So does Jake Gibbs. That doesn't mean he'd be helpful.
    Jake never played in the WS. Was supposed to play in 64 but was injured at the end of the season. Yankees lost that series so no ring for Jake even had he played in it.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    IMHO, Cashman has an affinity for being too sentimental towards veteran players whose glory years are fading in the rear view mirror such as re-signing Gardy and CC. That is $7M and $10M wasted respectfully for 2019. This budding team no longer needs veteran leadership.

Last season (2018), how many times have Gardy failed at the plate and CC's wonky knees cost the team?!
    Nope.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information