+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 55 62 63 64 65
Results 1,601 to 1,611 of 1611

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

I believe that was the first RO I ever applauded.

Designated for Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I believe that was the first RO I ever applauded.
    Seriously. WTF was that all about?

I don't see color or ethnicity - I see effort and talent, and that's all that's ever mattered to me. And I'd like to think that's how the large majority of us see it too....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I was thinking maybe the Doc might have slipped thru security.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I was thinking maybe the Doc might have slipped thru security.
    I know when I've been insulted!
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I know when I've been insulted!

Ahhhhhh. Heh. You know that feeling when you hit the bullseye.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who took offense. I was wondering whether I needed to take a step to the right.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who took offense. I was wondering whether I needed to take a step to the right.
    Like you’re under sedation!
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

I'm glad I missed all that over this past weekend. Totally uncalled for. This time, the Mods acted decisively and got it right. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Seriously. WTF was that all about?

I don't see color or ethnicity - I see effort and talent, and that's all that's ever mattered to me. And I'd like to think that's how the large majority of us see it too....
    Seriously. I can understand it being a source of pride to some new fans way back when, as an introduction to the game (see DiMaggio), but to solely root for a player based on his race or ethnicity is disgusting. Some of those posts took us back to a very bad time in America and an ugliness that still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Seriously. I can understand it being a source of pride to some new fans way back when, as an introduction to the game (see DiMaggio), but to solely root for a player based on his race or ethnicity is disgusting. Some of those posts took us back to a very bad time in America and an ugliness that still exists.
    As an Italian-American in the 1930s, DiMaggio was every bit as much of an "ethnic" player as a Latino player (born in the U.S.) would be today. It should be no surprise that Italian-Americans took special pride in rooting for him, just as it shouldn't surprise anyone that any fan would have a special attachment to players of a shared background. That could be ethnic background, religious background, or even knowing that Todd Frazier grew up in New Jersey rooting for the Yankees.

The core problem with those posts is the part where someone tried to put "white" into that same category. That term encompasses a great many different types of people, but its meaning is most significant because of who it excludes. And the boundaries of its definition have shifted quite a bit over the years. Does "white" include Italian Catholics like Joe DiMaggio today? In most contexts, probably. Did it back when DiMaggio came up in 1936? Not really.
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 12-11-18 at 04:58 PM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

I've never heard Brian being so definitive about his intentions as he's been lately, about giving up on Sonny Gray and now about totally blowing off any interest in Harper. Many of us have probably thought, is this a negotiating ploy that Cashman is using? I'm thinking he's just being brutally honest.

Really anxious to see what he's got up his sleeve. I'm confident it's well thought-out.

Haap says he'll sign the first three-year contract that's offered to him. Cashman's probably already offered something like 2yrs/$32M. The Phillies probably have a similar offer in also.

Meanwhile, Lance Lynn waits for his phone to ring....
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information