+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    What more does he need to demonstrate to "be ready"?

2018 mL stats:

Averaging 5.3 Innings per Appearance (he made one relief appearance and pitched six innings)
    WHIP: 1.130
    HR/9: 0.3
    K/9: 9.9
    ERA: 2.49
    BB/9 is the big issue with Justus.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

What more does he need to demonstrate to "be ready"?

2018 mL stats:

Averaging 5.3 Innings per Appearance (he made one relief appearance and pitched six innings)
    WHIP: 1.130
    HR/9: 0.3
    K/9: 9.9
    ERA: 2.49
    Control. 22 walks in 52 innings, which will be worse when he first gets to the majors.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    BB/9 is the big issue with Justus.
    If I remember right, he was at 4.4 BB/9 this season.

Sonny Gray is at 4.0 BB/9, but his WHIP is almost 1.6 because batters are hitting .284 with an .810 OPS.

I would take my chances with Sheffield over Gray, even if he is a "work in progress". In fact, give me anyone not named Sonny Gray.

I didn't like this trade when it was made; I hate this trade now.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Sonny Gray is at 4.0 BB/9, but his WHIP is almost 1.6 because batters are hitting .284 with an .810 OPS.

I would take my chances with Sheffield over Gray, even if he is a "work in progress". In fact, give me anyone not named Sonny Gray.

I'm all aboard the get Sonny off the team, however the question was asked what he needs to show he's ready. His walk rate needs to be better. If it's 4 in the minors, what's it going to be in the majors? You don't have a spacious park to bail you out when you get behind major league hitters.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    He's not ready and hasn't exactly been developing quickly. I doubt he's MLB-ready until next year.
    But Cessa is ready. A guy who has never given us a decent outing. Was terrible against the Phillies two weeks ago.

NYYF Legend

I am not saying he should replace Gray in the rotation. Just saying given a choice of Sheffield or Cessa would rather take the chance with Sheffield.

NYYF Legend

Not signing JD this offseason might have been a bigger mistake than not upgrading our rotation.

The Red Sox are a different team without him, and we are a different team with him. What a massive miss.
    Calmer than you are

Not signing JD this offseason might have been a bigger mistake than not upgrading our rotation.

The Red Sox are a different team without him, and we are a different team with him. What a massive miss.
    Is this not just a case of hindsight? I think most people here would have taken Stanton over JD during the offseason. Dude is balling but only 2 teams actually showed any interest in him during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Is this not just a case of hindsight? I think most people here would have taken Stanton over JD during the offseason. Dude is balling but only 2 teams actually showed any interest in him during the offseason.
    I think if we knew we could have signed JD for THAT contract, it would have been a different discussion.

Still, I'm happy with the Stanton trade, but I was PISSED when the Red Sox signed JD for the contract they did. That was a steal then, and a bigger steal now.

Not really hindsight. And I still don't know how only 2 teams showed interest in him.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    I think if we knew we could have signed JD for THAT contract, it would have been a different discussion.

Still, I'm happy with the Stanton trade, but I was PISSED when the Red Sox signed JD for the contract they did. That was a steal then, and a bigger steal now.

Not really hindsight. And I still don't know how only 2 teams showed interest in him.
    Its hindsight because the dude is balling out. If he wasn't having such a great year, people wouldn't be talking about it.

NYYF Legend

Not hindsight. I very much wanted the Yankees to sign JD and trade Gardner before the Red Sox signed him.
    Calmer than you are

Go back to Cali, Cali, Cali ArodEra's Avatar

Not hindsight. I very much wanted the Yankees to sign JD and trade Gardner before the Red Sox signed him.

Was a concern of mine too. The moment the Sox signed him, I knew it was trouble. Everybody knew that the Sox were looking for a legit power hitter and that they wouldn't have gotten Stanton. If the Yanks signed JD instead of Stanton it would have had a huge negative impact on the Sox while helping us tremendously, hindsight be damned.

Is it only hindsight when a decision blows up in Cashman's face? If Stanton were mashing it and JD looked pathetic, I'm sure that people would be celebrating Cashman as a genius. "Ca$hmoney baby!" "Stealth!"

NYYF Legend

Brian Cashman needs to step up and add a couple of starters. This team has great depth, but the starting rotation is very thin and needs a "fix". I'm tired of hearing "it's our #1 concern", and nothing changes. I'm tired of hearing "it's all about pitching in the postseason", and nothing changes. These players have earned the right to be put in the best position to succeed. If pitching is inevitably the reason why this organization doesn't go deep into the postseason, it can only be because Cashman isn't pushing the right buttons. He's got money, options, and talent up his sleeves.

The Red Sox & the Astros are going to keep winning, it appears. Cashman needs to keep up, as the pressure begins to mount.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Was a concern of mine too. The moment the Sox signed him, I knew it was trouble. Everybody knew that the Sox were looking for a legit power hitter and that they wouldn't have gotten Stanton. If the Yanks signed JD instead of Stanton it would have had a huge negative impact on the Sox while helping us tremendously, hindsight be damned.

Is it only hindsight when a decision blows up in Cashman's face? If Stanton were mashing it and JD looked pathetic, I'm sure that people would be celebrating Cashman as a genius. "Ca$hmoney baby!" "Stealth!"
    Problem is Yankees would never have signed JD to the contract Boston got. If Yankees were in the bidding most likely Sox would have out bid us enough so we would have bailed out not wanting to cross the luxury tax threshold. So if no Stanton trade all we would have acomplised is raising the Sox payroll higher.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Brian Cashman needs to step up and add a couple of starters. This team has great depth, but the starting rotation is very thin and needs a "fix". I'm tired of hearing "it's our #1 concern", and nothing changes. I'm tired of hearing "it's all about pitching in the postseason", and nothing changes. These players have earned the right to be put in the best position to succeed. If pitching is inevitably the reason why this organization doesn't go deep into the postseason, it can only be because Cashman isn't pushing the right buttons. He's got money, options, and talent up his sleeves.

The Red Sox & the Astros are going to keep winning, it appears. Cashman needs to keep up, as the pressure begins to mount.
    Outside of the two Mets starters who we could never get what ace starter is out there right now?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Outside of the two Mets starters who we could never get what ace starter is out there right now?
    I understand the concept of supply and demand. I'm not being snarky, but it's not my point. I am challenging Brian Cashman to step up and make sure this is a successful campaign. We need some depth in that rotation, and since we're probably not going to get a high-impact starter, then Cashman still needs to create some depth. If he does nothing, it's on him. This rotation is too weak to stand pat.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Calls a tool a tool

Its hindsight because the dude is balling out. If he wasn't having such a great year, people wouldn't be talking about it.
    Not hindsight. There were a few here who wanted Martinez over Stanton. Stanton has more power, but Martinez is a much tougher out and a more productive hitter. Stanton has a lot more holes in his game and can be pitched to. Martinez you pitch around. When you add in the contract considerations, its a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I understand the concept of supply and demand. I'm not being snarky, but it's not my point. I am challenging Brian Cashman to step up and make sure this is a successful campaign. We need some depth in that rotation, and since we're probably not going to get a high-impact starter, then Cashman still needs to create some depth. If he does nothing, it's on him. This rotation is too weak to stand pat.
    How many wins would a couple of back end of the rotation guys mean to this team?

For example...CC has been worth 1.3 WAR in 16 starts. I agree that we need help but I think we overrate what a couple of back end guys would do for the team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    How many wins would a couple of back end of the rotation guys mean to this team?

For example...CC has been worth 1.3 WAR in 16 starts. I agree that we need help but I think we overrate what a couple of back end guys would do for the team.
    The GM's job this time of year is to make this a better 2nd half team. Plug up the holes. Mr.Cashman needs to turn into Mr Wheel'N'Deal pretty soon here.

NYYF Legend

When people aren't happy with signing a veteran at a low price (eg Walker).

Please don't say you can just drop him and eat the 2m. Cashman simply doesn't do it.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Probably the first time in the history of baseball that a guy thatís chosen to start the first game of the second half gets optioned after the game. Think about that for a second.

Released Outright

Rain out yesterday 5 games out of 1st place and four games to make up , make that two starter pitchers on the wish list .....Go ahead tell the Yankees fans itís a rebuilding year , I dare ya !

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Not hindsight. There were a few here who wanted Martinez over Stanton. Stanton has more power, but Martinez is a much tougher out and a more productive hitter. Stanton has a lot more holes in his game and can be pitched to. Martinez you pitch around. When you add in the contract considerations, its a no-brainer.
    But it kind of is, because of the timing..

The Stanton trade went down in early December, long before the free agency market turned into an ice age. No one, at that time, could have predicted that JD would continue to be the hitter is is now, and even if you disagree with that, there is definitely no way anyone could have predicted the very friendly contracts that would be doled out, esp to JD himself.

In short, it is not like the Yankees chose Stanton over JD at the time given all things being equal. All things were not equal. At the moment we got Stanton, a 7 year monster contract for a guy who is essentially a DH was probably what everyone believed JD would be getting. That type of contract would have put us over the lux tax or very close to it with no wiggle room, and would have looked like a disaster on the back end when the guy is not a difference making hitter anymore.

If you had put it to Cashman on Dec 1st, the Stanton trade or the current JD contract exactly as Boston got him for there is a good chance we take the JD option. But that is not what was forseeable or available at the time..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

do something, say something

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

U up?

Thread Information