+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10 50 57 58 59 60
Results 1,476 to 1,494 of 1494
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    But he is. Look at the way the Red Sox run the bases and take it to the defense, forcing errors in the process. He looks to exploit other team’s weaknesses to a greater degree than I’ve seen from other managers. I’m as hard on the Sox as anyone, but I’ve got to give this guy his due.
    The last time I remember a Yankee manager being asked about why they didn’t run, bunt, steal the answer was something to the effect of “we’re not that kind of team”
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 11-15-18 at 02:14 AM.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I won't call Cora great, but he is aggressive - I like aggressive.
    I miss aggressive. It helps you win games when you're not hitting 3-run HRs...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    I'm not saying Boone is great, maybe one day he will be, still too early to tell, but I don't think Cora is anything special.
    I agree, he’s not special either. His team is both lucky and good.

Cora hasn’t been truly tested yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I agree, heís not special either. His team is both lucky and good.

Cora hasnít been truly tested yet.
    That's usually the delicate combination of championship teams.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    The last time I remember a Yankee manager being asked about why they didnít run, bunt, steal the answer was something to the effect of ďweíre not that kind of teamĒ
    Bingo. This is the answer. (I don't even know if some of our players can bunt).

The last time I remember a Yankee manager being asked about why they didnít run, bunt, steal the answer was something to the effect of ďweíre not that kind of teamĒ
    When Jose Canseco got all that press for being the first person in the 40/40 club, I remember Mickey saying something along the lines of "If I had known this was gonna be such a big deal, I would have asked Casey if I could run a little bit more."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Looks like Cashman is on the Michael Kay Show today at 4:00 p.m. ET

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Bingo. This is the answer. (I don't even know if some of our players can bunt).
    The Red Sox executed when they needed to. Yeah, every break seemed to go their way - how many times in history has a ball rolled on the top of the padding along the left field wall while the runner runs around the bases?

Still, when the opponent made a mistake, they somehow capitalized. The runs scored with 2-outs was ridiculous - close to 50%, and they could beat you in a number of ways....HRs, hits with RISP, bunts etc.

One standout moment of the WS was the inability if Rich Hill to get a bunt down with a runner on 2nd and nobody out. Then, he comes up later with nobody on and lays down a perfect one.

Its about execution.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

The Red Sox executed when they needed to. Yeah, every break seemed to go their way - how many times in history has a ball rolled on the top of the padding along the left field wall while the runner runs around the bases?

Still, when the opponent made a mistake, they somehow capitalized. The runs scored with 2-outs was ridiculous - close to 50%, and they could beat you in a number of ways....HRs, hits with RISP, bunts etc.

One standout moment of the WS was the inability if Rich Hill to get a bunt down with a runner on 2nd and nobody out. Then, he comes up later with nobody on and lays down a perfect one.

Its about execution.
    I am not surprised at anything anymore watching a game. I think that was Holtz(?).

That was the critical game for LAD to win after that long game. Would have tied the series at 2-2. IT IS EXECUTION TO WIN. I am old fashion but want to see every player know how to bunt even the push bunt that Cora does to move the runner over. Get him to 3rd because we are the best at sac flies. Drives me nuts and I think Boone is dumb not seeing this situation (in his defend some player can't bunt). I can't remember but I have NEVER liked the LAD coach ever since that SB.

Just want to add I am NOT happy with our K% (do something with Stanton's swing) either. BOS has 3 out of top 20 players that get hits with TWO strike: Betts (getting the AL MVP tonight), Benniteni, Bogarts we have 1 Andķjar in top 20 and I think Torres and Didi are good.

I lost the reference but we talked about it earlier in the year when I wanted Marcus to be fired.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Its about execution.
    Luck is the residue of design.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

But he is. Look at the way the Red Sox run the bases and take it to the defense, forcing errors in the process. He looks to exploit other teamís weaknesses to a greater degree than Iíve seen from other managers. Iím as hard on the Sox as anyone, but Iíve got to give this guy his due.
    A manager looks as good as his players. I'm not big on giving a manager too much credit for doing much besides putting players in the best position to succeed. Something Boone screwed up at times for sure.

Was Cora a genius when the Yankees could have beaten the Sox if they could hit with RISP? He was a few decent Yankees ab's away from losing to the worst manager ever, Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Luck is the residue of design.
    Except when itís just plain luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    A manager looks as good as his players. I'm not big on giving a manager too much credit for doing much besides putting players in the best position to succeed. Something Boone screwed up at times for sure.

Was Cora a genius when the Yankees could have beaten the Sox if they could hit with RISP? He was a few decent Yankees ab's away from losing to the worst manager ever, Boone.
    Good points. The difference in the Boston Series was two 1-run games.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Good points. The difference in the Boston Series was two 1-run games.
    No, the difference in the Boston series was Boone's piss-poor bullpen management.

He kept repeating the same fatal mistake of trying to "steal" extra outs out of his starters when it was obvious to everyone watching that he should have been using the deep bullpen Cashman put together for him.

This narrative that Boone did a good job because his team won 100 games is totally false.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

No, the difference in the Boston series was Boone's piss-poor bullpen management.

He kept repeating the same fatal mistake of trying to "steal" extra outs out of his starters when it was obvious to everyone watching that he should have been using the deep bullpen Cashman put together for him.
    . . . which resulted in two 1-run losses.

NYYF Legend

This narrative that Boone did a good job because his team won 100 games is totally false.
    You're right about this. But in spite of this it did come down to one run losses. And if the Yankees did better hitting with RISP, we're not discussing the genius of Cora.

Again, I'm not saying he's a bad manager, but I think his greatness is being hugely overstated.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Watching the Japan All-star Series makes me like it even more.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Watching the Japan All-star Series makes me like it even more.
    Yeah. That Japan team was relentless.

Thread Information