+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 56 57 58 59
Results 1,451 to 1,467 of 1467

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Red Sox worship? Perhaps you've missed my various posts on the fact that I think this season of 108 wins and a WS was somewhat fluky? I certainly don't think the Red Sox are a juggernaut, but I think if you want to go on a run in the AL East while you are setup the way the Yankees are you go in with the mindset that your main competition can sustain and will be just as committed to improve their team as Cashman should be to improving his.

Your list of ifs and buts can be replicated by someone over at SOSH when talking about the Yankees' near term roster, barring them taking advantage of the position they are in right now.

They have an opportunity to build off their young, inexpensive core and create a team that should be WS favorites for years to come. I want them to do that. Don't read into it.
    Okay.

I was disagreeing with your “looking up at the Red Sox for the next couple years” comment. I believe that you’r overrating the Red Sox and underrating the Yankees.

On July 1, after 81 games, the exact half way point of the season, and with injuries just beginning to set in, the Yankees and Red Sox had identical records. It’s clear that the rash of injuries in the 2nd half sapped the Yankees of a lot of their strengths. Give them a healthy team and they’re the equal of the Red Sox.

Not saying that they don’t need improvements - especially to the starting pitching - but they don’t need a major overhaul.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Okay.

I was disagreeing with your “looking up at the Red Sox for the next couple years” comment. I believe that you’r overrating the Red Sox and underrating the Yankees.

On July 1, after 81 games, the exact half way point of the season, and with injuries just beginning to set in, the Yankees and Red Sox had identical records. It’s clear that the rash of injuries in the 2nd half sapped the Yankees of a lot of their strengths. Give them a healthy team and they’re the equal of the Red Sox.

Not saying that they don’t need improvements - especially to the starting pitching - but they don’t need a major overhaul.
    2019 is also going to depend on what moves the Red Sox make in the offseason - they have to deal with the potential loss of Kimbrel, Kelly, Eovaldi, Pearce, and Pomeranz, all of whom played a big part in their 108 win season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    2019 is also going to depend on what moves the Red Sox make in the offseason - they have to deal with the potential loss of Kimbrel, Kelly, Eovaldi, Pearce, and Pomeranz, all of whom played a big part in their 108 win season.
    Did Pomeranz even pitch in WS? He is gone. I watched that long game with Eovaldi and he didn't pitch. Everybody thought he was going to pitch the next game that day (which Eovaldi was to pitch) but I think Rodriquez pitched and Kelly got the W. Cora was lucky because it could have been 2-2. I don't think they were happy with Kimbrel and may go after DR or Britton. They will want to resign Kelly, Eovaldi, and Pearce if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Okay.

And I'm not saying they need a major overhaul. They're setup to compete. I think they're in prime position however to step on the necks of the competition by making bold moves to bolster a highly talented and young core of players. They have the resources to do it, both in dollars and in chips. Given that, I don't want the FO to have a "meh, win some lose some" mentality right now. I want them to curbstomp the rest of baseball for the next several seasons.

Also, while you and I share the belief that the Sox overacheived last year, no amount of lists that talk about this person or that person having a career year changes the fact that they won 108 games, that they made brilliant moves at the deadline to bolster their team and that they also have young and talented players. While I think the year was a bit fluky for them, I want Cashman to view them as a 108 win team and build his roster to ensure it doesn't happen again.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

And I'm not saying they need a major overhaul. They're setup to compete. I think they're in prime position however to step on the necks of the competition by making bold moves to bolster a highly talented and young core of players. They have the resources to do it, both in dollars and in chips. Given that, I don't want the FO to have a "meh, win some lose some" mentality right now. I want them to curbstomp the rest of baseball for the next several seasons.

Also, while you and I share the belief that the Sox overacheived last year, no amount of lists that talk about this person or that person having a career year changes the fact that they won 108 games, that they made brilliant moves at the deadline to bolster their team and that they also have young and talented players. While I think the year was a bit fluky for them, I want Cashman to view them as a 108 win team and build his roster to ensure it doesn't happen again.
    I believe the bolded part really gets to the heart of the matter: there really seems to be a level of complacency (or lack or urgency) throughout this organization, whether it was Boone's managing style, Cashman's inability to acquire a true TOR, or Hal's belt-tightening at the worst possible time.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I believe the bolded part really gets to the heart of the matter: there really seems to be a level of complacency (or lack or urgency) throughout this organization, whether it was Boone's managing style, Cashman's inability to acquire a true TOR, or Hal's belt-tightening at the worst possible time.
    I think you nailed it with the word “complacency”.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I think you nailed it with the word “complacency”.
    If they keep this up, next thing you know, it will be time to start paying guys like Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Didi and Hicks big $$$. At that point, they'll either have far less payroll flexibility than they do now, or they'll need to accept letting some guys walk.

Their window to build a powerhouse is closing much more quickly than most realize. And yes, their complacency is mind-bending.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    If they keep this up, next thing you know, it will be time to start paying guys like Judge, Severino, Sanchez, Didi and Hicks big $$$. At that point, they'll either have far less payroll flexibility than they do now, or they'll need to accept letting some guys walk.

Their window to build a powerhouse is closing much more quickly than most realize. And yes, their complacency is mind-bending.
    It will be entirely frustrating to me if they spit the bit on the opportunity they have right now. They had the perfect storm of hitting the lottery on young prospects, having some bad contracts come off the books, and a deep acquisition pool to wade in.

I'm not interested in them fielding a team right now that on paper looks like the occasional WS contender. Time to build a juggernaut that is the hands down favorite for the next several years.

It will be entirely frustrating to me if they spit the bit on the opportunity they have right now. They had the perfect storm of hitting the lottery on young prospects, having some bad contracts come off the books, and a deep acquisition pool to wade in.

I'm not interested in them fielding a team right now that on paper looks like the occasional WS contender. Time to build a juggernaut that is the hands down favorite for the next several years.
    Exactly. We're in complete agreement.

Cashman has stated on Michael Kay show that he wants to win WS championships. I'm going to hold him to that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Cashman has stated on Michael Kay show that he wants to win WS championships. I'm going to hold him to that goal.
    But what else would you expect him to say?
    Actions will ultimately speak louder than words.

NYYF Cy Young

You can but will Hal? Seriously, I feel he always says this but my issue he is not held accountable. It's all PR. There are always issues that are not his fault like injuries (Judge, for me all teams have them), player not performing as well as expected (Gray, Bird), even a few feet like Sanchez out that was few feet short, something but never admits a mistake made (Ells, 6th pitcher last year). It's getting old for me. I don't feel Otani or Cole were his fault and honestly with Boone I have if it would have changed much.

NYYF Legend

Big deal. I am sure every GM says the same thing when asked. Anyway it's Hal who controls the purse strings. Not Cashman.

I'm done arguing with the rest of you regarding Hal and Cashman. I know I'm in the minority around here, but Hal and Cashman still have my faith in them building a WS winning team.

NYYF Legend

I'm done arguing with the rest of you regarding Hal and Cashman. I know I'm in the minority around here, but Hal and Cashman still have my faith in them building a WS winning team.
    I'm thinking that Brian Cashman makes some very big splashes over the next 30 days, and all will be revealed. He's going to make sure season ticket plans are on everyone's gift list.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I agree. They built they already built it if 2017 & 2018 are any indication. They just came up a little short in October each time.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I'm a believer in Cashman. Jury is out IMHO on Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I agree. They built they already built it if 2017 & 2018 are any indication. They just came up a little short in October each time.
    But this is kind of my point. They have a team that can compete. But they need to seize this opportunity to build a juggernaut. I honestly believe they have an opportunity to capitalize on their young cost controlled talent, augment with elite trade/FA acquisitions, and have a powerhouse that is a strong favorite to win the WS for years to come. They'd better not blow it - ESPECIALLY if only to spare the payroll. They have a massive financial advantage and need to flex it now when the timing is right.

Thread Information