Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16 56 63 64 65 66 67 68 LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1680

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Great deal for Ottavino

Quote Originally Posted by danman1202 View Post
    Great deal for Ottavino
    that remains to be seen
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I think all of the moves have been smart...just no big fish but I doubt he has much of a say over that side of things

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    that remains to be seen
    I meant to post three laughing emojis
    Last edited by Messerwhitescooter; 01-19-19 at 10:51 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    that remains to be seen
    The "today, based on current market conditions" part should be implied, no?

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Nice job, Cash
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Nice job, Cash
    Overall, Cash is a big problem, doesn't see the hand writing about great pitching, horses like Sale, Cole, Verlander, and lets them go while bringing in 5'10 SOny Gray types. etc.
    Drafting has been pretty bad and he needs to be part of that blame, 2014 International spending spree was horrific and caused the next 2 years to be wasted also with the spending limits while the best INTL guys went elsewhere.
    Most of the "Acquired through trades" farm system has been squandered in bad deals (except the Chapman deal, where his buddy paid through the nose to win a WS after a century of losing) and if you look at the drafting 1-2 picks later, after yAnkees picked, teams made great picks that YAnkees passed on.
    A Monkey could keep you competitive with $200,000,000 + in salary every season.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    Overall, Cash is a big problem, doesn't see the hand writing about great pitching, horses like Sale, Cole, Verlander, and lets them go while bringing in 5'10 SOny Gray types. etc.
    Drafting has been pretty bad and he needs to be part of that blame, 2014 International spending spree was horrific and caused the next 2 years to be wasted also with the spending limits while the best INTL guys went elsewhere.
    Most of the "Acquired through trades" farm system has been squandered in bad deals (except the Chapman deal, where his buddy paid through the nose to win a WS after a century of losing) and if you look at the drafting 1-2 picks later, after yAnkees picked, teams made great picks that YAnkees passed on.
    They would have overpaid for Sale at a time where not many thought the Yankees were ready to compete. Players like Sevy, Judge, Sanchez, etc wouldn't be here. Still would have wanted that trade to go through?

Pirates wanted too much for what potentially looked like a declining Gerrit Cole.

As for Verlander, pretty much nobody saw that coming. What he did since getting traded there is almost unprecedented. Sonny Gray did indeed look like the better pitcher at that time.

The drafting has definitely not been bad for a while now, and Cash is savvy when it comes to trades.

Cashman is a great GM and has been a part in turning this around since about 2013.

NYYF Legend

One of the best FA signings.

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    One of the best FA signings.

-Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

Addicted Member

I would have traded Sevy + Sanchez for Sale in a heartbeat.

NYYF Legend

"Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees61 View Post
    I would have traded Sevy + Sanchez for Sale in a heartbeat.
    For a pitcher who fades in the stretch and doesnít get it done in the playoffs? That would have been a huge mistake. Sanchez is potentially a Hall of Fame catcher and Sevy just might be the better pitcher when all is said and done. Not to mention the fact that when Sale was available, the Yankees werenít in a position to take advantage of what he brought. Sevvy and Sanchez were/are key pieces of the rebuild.

With Cashman mismanaging like that, makes you wonder how the Yankeeswon 100 games last year and came within 1 games of the World Series the year before, doesnít it? All with a young team if players mostly in their 20ís.

NYYF Triple Crown

Just want to point out one international trade that may be Brian's greatest trade (I still can't believe it). (last I look I think we have 5 of the top 50 but while back) Brian traded Gallegos (who I liked and Shreve) for Voit and international money and got a 17 yr old RHP, Rodriquez with that money, who I think is a stud. I hope Rodriquez gets to A so I can see him. Look I didn't like DJ LeMahieu signing, the Gray trade, and we didn't get Corbin or Eovaldi (my target) but he did improved our pitching so I am happy this year. Cole is FA next year and I want him and just outspend everybody, PIT got less from Astros than what Brian offered so no way am I blaming Brian. I think Verlander is a FA too. And I do think we can win the WS this year with this roster (Monty is coming back).

He only got 250K in that deal, not enough for Rodriguez. He got more from other deals, particularly Frare to CWS.

You have to admit, after they splurged, none of those guys has really excelled, The guys he traded away have also done poorly. Besides Sanchez and Severino, i have not been very impressed with their IFA money buys. Florial, i think wasn't even a huge signer, but even if he was so far he hasn't worked out yet... But, i hope he doesn't ledee me, i thought ledee was going to be the next great yankee star, and we saw how that turned out.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    He only got 250K in that deal, not enough for Rodriguez. He got more from other deals, particularly Frare to CWS.
    Very Very Nice Jon. I had to check. 600K for Rodriques - Brian traded LHP Caleb Frare (LHP) for 1.5M to get Rodriquez and he's in the CWS pen this year.

So much for my unbelievable move (Voit was still good and I do like Rodriquez).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    You have to admit, after they splurged, none of those guys has really excelled, The guys he traded away have also done poorly. Besides Sanchez and Severino, i have not been very impressed with their IFA money buys. Florial, i think wasn't even a huge signer, but even if he was so far he hasn't worked out yet... But, i hope he doesn't ledee me, i thought ledee was going to be the next great yankee star, and we saw how that turned out.
    They have a ton of guys from the last 2-3 years who are very promising and who might take big jumps in the next year or two, but 16-17 year olds are very rarely going to be sure things. That's why you just keep adding them and hoping more like Sanchez (pricy) and Severino (cheap) emerge at the other end.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Wait, what?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Wait, what?
    Only really tall pitchers from now on, duh.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Only really tall pitchers from now on, duh.
    Apparently Cashman sucks. Iím sure glad he wasnít in charge these last few years where they did a complete overhaul from old and poor to young and very good.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Nice job, Cash
    IMHO, Cashman has an affinity for being too sentimental towards veteran players whose glory years are fading in the rear view mirror such as re-signing Gardy and CC. That is $7M and $10M wasted respectfully for 2019. This budding team no longer needs veteran leadership.

Last season (2018), how many times have Gardy failed at the plate and CC's wonky knees cost the team?!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post
    IMHO, Cashman has an affinity for being too sentimental towards veteran players whose glory years are fading in the rear view mirror such as re-signing Gardy and CC. That is $7M and $10M wasted respectfully for 2019. This budding team no longer needs veteran leadership.

Last season (2018), how many times have Gardy failed at the plate and CC's wonky knees cost the team?!
    Sentimentality for sure. Also if they were gone it would be the first time going on 24 seasons that the Yankees would have no one on their team with a Yankees WS ring.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YanksBeatBraves1996 View Post

I agree that the Yankees tend to be overly generous with their homegrown veterans, but I don't think that is necessarily the case with CC here. CC contributed 2.5 WAR (Fangraphs) last year, and the going rate for WAR would value that above $10 million. For comparison, Lance Lynn signed a 3/$30 million contract this offseason.

Thread Information