+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1659
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Ironically, it was Rothschild who worked with Eovaldi back in '16 on reintroduction of the cutter.
    True. All My opinion. I think Larry turned our pitching around when he replace Dave Erland (?). He was/is good but now I feel many teams are using computers, videos, statcast info now with their pitchers to improve their performance. I also, feel Morton doctors the ball (Cora had the ump check the catcher glove in AL Championship - negative). My biggest disappointment with Larry was working with Boone. He worked with Joe G who micromanage the pen and then Boone leaving pitchers in to finish the inning (so different). Sure Larry came out to discuss getting through the inning but in many cases it didn't work (just take him out). My other disappointment was Gray and Sevy the second half. I would like to see Larry take more control as to when, who, how, roster moves on managing pitchers.

NYYF Legend

The Indians want to shed 2019 payroll but still win their division.

With Kluber's contract, the Yanks can pitch him at the top of their rotation in 2019 for $17M and then decline both team options right after the 2019 WS. It'll cost them $2M to do decline them. No long term commitment.

Jason Kipnis gets paid $14.5m in 2019, & the team can buy him out for $2.5m at the end of 2019. No long term commitment. A much-needed LH bat with some pop & pretty good defense. Acquiring him allows Gleyber Torres to become the next Yankee SS as Didi gets non-tendered.

Frazier, Sheffield (#31), Florial (#45) Loaisiga (#66), & Domingo Acevedo for one year of Kluber & Kipnis @ a total of $36M/$31.5M AAV.

With this deal the Indians would shed about $30M in 2019. 2 big holes are filled for the Yankees. Too much to give up? Not enough?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I guess you weren't around during George Steinbrenner's peak - George could have easily done that twice, and that's just before the All-Star break.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    The Indians want to shed 2019 payroll but still win their division.

With Kluber's contract, the Yanks can pitch him at the top of their rotation in 2019 for $17M and then decline both team options right after the 2019 WS. It'll cost them $2M to do decline them. No long term commitment.

Jason Kipnis gets paid $14.5m in 2019, & the team can buy him out for $2.5m at the end of 2019. No long term commitment. A much-needed LH bat with some pop & pretty good defense. Acquiring him allows Gleyber Torres to become the next Yankee SS as Didi gets non-tendered.

Frazier, Sheffield (#31), Florial (#45) Loaisiga (#66), & Domingo Acevedo for one year of Kluber & Kipnis @ a total of $36M/$31.5M AAV.

With this deal the Indians would shed about $30M in 2019. 2 big holes are filled for the Yankees. Too much to give up? Not enough?
    If you get Kluber, you get him for 3 years. That's actually why the Yankees should pay premium price to get him. Don't know why team would decline his options.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If you get Kluber, you get him for 3 years. That's actually why the Yankees should pay premium price to get him. Don't know why team would decline his options.
    Also Kipnis would fill a hole but is probably a negative value given all of the 2B options on the market. That is way way too much even without Kipnis, but I don't think CLE is trading Kluber to NY short of Gleyber which obviously isn't happening.

NYYF Triple Crown

Brian at GM meetings coming in with a backpack on. I found that so funny.

NYYF Legend

Because he'll be 33 in April and there are concerns about a small downward tick in FB velocity along with some health concerns? Should they be paying a 34/35 yr old another $35.5M over 2020 and 2021? If he has a fantastic year in 2019, then I'm sure it will be considered, but the first plan should be to buy out the options. What Kluber is worth might then be a bit lower.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Also Kipnis would fill a hole but is probably a negative value given all of the 2B options on the market. That is way way too much even without Kipnis, but I don't think CLE is trading Kluber to NY short of Gleyber which obviously isn't happening.
    Adding Kipnis to a Kluber deal gives the Indians the salary relief they are looking for in 2019, and fills a couple of holes for the Yankees at the same time - LH hitter with HR power, allows Torres to move to SS to replace Didi going forward. A versatile veteran ala Neil Walker.

The Indians are said to specifically be looking for a ML ready outfielder & some young controllable pitching, which is why a package headed by a healthy Clint Frazier and two top-100 prospects Justus Sheffield and Estaban Florial should grab their attention. Add a few other young pitchers to sweeten the deal. The Indians don't need Andujar, and a strong enough package could get their minds off of Gleyber.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Because he'll be 33 in April and there are concerns about a small downward tick in FB velocity along with some health concerns? Should they be paying a 34/35 yr old another $35.5M over 2020 and 2021? If he has a fantastic year in 2019, then I'm sure it will be considered, but the first plan should be to buy out the options. What Kluber is worth might then be a bit lower.
    Kershaw is getting over $33m a year with diminished velocity and a worse injury record. Corbin at 30 would likely get at least a 4 years contract at $20m per season. 2 years $35.5m for Kluber is a steal even his velocity doesn't bounce back. His K/BB ratio and WHIP last season both are his second best in his career.

His luxury tax hit would also be much lower because the option years shall be counted as part of the extension he has signed with the Indians.

The Death Star is Sputtering

Kershaw is getting over $33m a year with diminished velocity and a worse injury record. Corbin at 30 would likely get at least a 4 years contract at $20m per season. 2 years $35.5m for Kluber is a steal even his velocity doesn't bounce back. His K/BB ratio and WHIP last season both are his second best in his career.

His luxury tax hit would also be much lower because the option years shall be counted as part of the extension he has signed with the Indians.
    His age and diminishing velocity are red flags that will negatively impact his performance in the near future. Depending on how drastically this impacts his future performance, his contract may not be the steal it appears to be right now. Factor in the astronomical cost to acquire him, and I’d be quite leery of trading for Kluber, as much as I like him.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I think you really need to look deeper at Eovaldi. In May he not hit the A's for 6 and was pulled. In June he no hit the Nats for 5 2/3 and was pulled. In July he was perfect through 6 against the Mets.

Kid did not pitch for two years, he was handled differently, as he should have been. With Boston, Eovaldi had three starts where he allowed more than 3 runs. (4,4 and 5) This was over 12 starts

As a comparison, Severino allowed more than 3 runs six times in his last 12 regular season starts.

I have not wanted the Yanks to sign a certain player since I wanted them to sign Jose Abreu, LOL
    Maybe I miss something with the LOL. We didn't sign Jose Abreu. Just finish reading Brian's comments on the Yankee site at the GM meetings. I was happy to see the words on Happ (just sign him before another team does) and hope we resign him but nothing on Eovaldi. I wonder if Brian even watches the games that Eovaldi pitched against us or in the post season. Happ is my first choice and don't want Corbin.

Adding Kipnis to a Kluber deal gives the Indians the salary relief they are looking for in 2019, and fills a couple of holes for the Yankees at the same time - LH hitter with HR power, allows Torres to move to SS to replace Didi going forward. A versatile veteran ala Neil Walker.

The Indians are said to specifically be looking for a ML ready outfielder & some young controllable pitching, which is why a package headed by a healthy Clint Frazier and two top-100 prospects Justus Sheffield and Estaban Florial should grab their attention. Add a few other young pitchers to sweeten the deal. The Indians don't need Andujar, and a strong enough package could get their minds off of Gleyber.
    Think of Andujar as a LFer, and suddenly he fits what the Indians are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Brian at GM meetings coming in with a backpack on. I found that so funny.
    I go to a lot of business conferences (I'm in technology) and I'm amazed at how perception has changed on this. There are a lot of "high power" guys in senior positions, showing up at conferences geared up to have big meetings and get major deals done, who wear a backpack over their suit. I don't think it really looks the part -- for me, I always want to look as unencumbered as possible, and thankfully a smart phone generally makes it pretty easy to travel light. But it's definitely a trend, just as most women (and some men) have completely abandoned the idea of wearing painfully uncomfortable shoes as part of their "dress for success" strategy.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Think of Andujar as a LFer, and suddenly he fits what the Indians are looking for.
    Sounds like you'd be willing to give up Andujar to get Kluber and Kipnis?

Make me an offer I can't refuse

NYYF Cy Young

I just saw on twitter the Yankees are bringing back CC Sabathia for one year at $8m. Isn't that price just a tad high for what, maybe ten wins?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I just saw on twitter the Yankees are bringing back CC Sabathia for one year at $8m. Isn't that price just a tad high for what, maybe ten wins?
    if he make 150 innings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    This was such an obvious move from a below average GM. Best case scenario, He's a five inning pitcher and he'll probably find himself 3rd or 4th in the rotation when an inevitable injury occurs to a pitcher above him in the rotation. The Yankees will be stuck in mediocre gear until this man is out of a job in New York. That would also require moneybags Hal to sell the team. The Yankees will need a solid middle relief pitcher just so Boone has someone to turn when CC approaches 100 pitches in the 4th.

Just another marketing scheme to sell more tickets and merchandise as CC chases down 3000 K's and 300 wins.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    This was such an obvious move from a below average GM. Best case scenario, He's a five inning pitcher and he'll probably find himself 3rd or 4th in the rotation when an inevitable injury occurs to a pitcher above him in the rotation. The Yankees will be stuck in mediocre gear until this man is out of a job in New York. That would also require moneybags Hal to sell the team. The Yankees will need a solid middle relief pitcher just so Boone has someone to turn when CC approaches 100 pitches in the 4th.

Just another marketing scheme to sell more tickets and merchandise as CC chases down 3000 K's and 300 wins.
    CC is not getting close to 300 wins. He has said next year will be his last season.

Sounds like you'd be willing to give up Andujar to get Kluber and Kipnis?

Make me an offer I can't refuse
    No, what Iím willing to do is give up on Andujar as a 3Bman and move him to LF, BUT I donít want to lose his bat. We read here all the time that the Yankees are over reliant on the HR and the walk. Andujar is the opposite; heís a contact hitter with power, a clutch hitter who was huge in high leverage situations and drove RISP.

I would love to see the Yankees hold on to Andujar, move him to LF, and then sign a Donaldson or convince Manny to follow ARod and find his spotlight at 3B in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    CC is not getting close to 300 wins. He has said next year will be his last season.
    Where did yoh hear this?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    No, what Iím willing to do is give up on Andujar as a 3Bman and move him to LF, BUT I donít want to lose his bat. We read here all the time that the Yankees are over reliant on the HR and the walk. Andujar is the opposite; heís a contact hitter with power, a clutch hitter who was huge in high leverage situations and drove RISP.

I would love to see the Yankees hold on to Andujar, move him to LF, and then sign a Donaldson or convince Manny to follow ARod and find his spotlight at 3B in NY.
    I agree with you re: Andujar's potential as a hitter, and I love the idea of teaching him to play LF. I'm thinking the Yankees want to give him the first half of 2019 @ 3rd base before making a premature decision. They've suspected for a few years now that Andujar would have defensive shortcomings, but they've obviously fallen in love with his bat for the reasons you mentioned.

But if there's an ACE out there that's available (***Kluber***) IMO all options to acquire him should be considered.

NYYF Legend

With the re-signings of Gardner/Sabathia, I have to wonder if the current Yankee executive management is just simply happy by making a post season appearance and calling it a season.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    With the re-signings of Gardner/Sabathia, I have to wonder if the current Yankee executive management is just simply happy by making a post season appearance and calling it a season.

Kinda makes you wonder if we even have a plan for next year. For me this is a no brainer:
    Replacing Gardy with Clint and replacing CC with Happ.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Posters seem to think that Gardner was signed to be the starting LFer and CC the ace of this staff - neither of those assumptions is true.

Cashman is on record that Gardy had to play more than they intended due to injuries last season - my opinion is that he was signed to be the fourth OFer. Yes, the money is high for a fourth OFer, but the Yankees were not going to completely insult Gardy by making him a ridiculously low offer.

As for CC, he is the fifth starter. Posters complain that CC creates work for the bullpen, but frankly so does every fifth starter on a pitching staff. Show me another fifth starter that has had a 120+ ERA+ the last two seasons.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Posters seem to think that Gardner was signed to be the starting LFer and CC the ace of this staff - neither of those assumptions is true.

Cashman is on record that Gardy had to play more than they intended due to injuries last season - my opinion is that he was signed to be the fourth OFer. Yes, the money is high for a fourth OFer, but the Yankees were not going to completely insult Gardy by making him a ridiculously low offer.

As for CC, he is the fifth starter. Posters complain that CC creates work for the bullpen, but frankly so does every fifth starter on a pitching staff. Show me another fifth starter that has had a 120+ ERA+ the last two seasons.
    I could understand the signing of CC, but not Gardner. You don't overpay a 4th OFer. Paying him at market rate is not an insult. Even if they really want him back, there is no reason to sign him this early. You let him test the market and come back to the Yankees later.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I could understand the signing of CC, but not Gardner. You don't overpay a 4th OFer. Paying him at market rate is not an insult. Even if they really want him back, there is no reason to sign him this early. You let him test the market and come back to the Yankees later.
    Cashman seems to prefer to get these type of deals out of the way, not wait.

As for Gardner, he still had a 2.8 WAR last season as bad as many posters seem to think he was - that is starter range, so paying him $7.5M is not an unreasonable number IMO.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information