+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

Needed to add to address the rotation this offseason. Failed. Needs to make a trade. Go get Fulmer.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Needed to add to address the rotation this offseason. Failed. Needs to make a trade. Go get Fulmer.
    Probably not till mid-season.

Cashman should have made the Cole trade and I said so at that time. I fear it would come back and bite him in the a**. It's only April 9th, so a lot can happened between now and October. Many Yankee fans didn't want Cole because of his performance the last couple of years, but I thought a change of scenery was exactly what he needed as well as throwing his fastball less. I need to check on whether that's happening in Houston.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Cashman should have made the Cole trade and I said so at that time. I fear it would come back and bite him in the a**. It's only April 9th, so a lot can happened between now and October. Many Yankee fans didn't want Cole because of his performance the last couple of years, but I thought a change of scenery was exactly what he needed as well as throwing his fastball less. I need to check on whether that's happening in Houston.
    Agree on all points and I also said so at the time. Cost controlled pitchers with Cole’s stuff don’t become available very often. Cash should have pulled the trigger when he had the chance.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Cole is under contract this season and next, and PIT wanted a 3B in the deal, so either Torres or Andujar. He's probably going to pitch very well in HOU because everyone seems to get better when going there, but it's way way too early to call not trading for him a mistake, no matter what you wrote from your couch at the time (not aimed at anyone specifically).

If NY had already had Drury and/or Walker under contract, then maybe Cashman would have been OK moving Andujar, but that's not the way things worked out. Onward and hopefully upward...

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Cole is under contract this season and next, and PIT wanted a 3B in the deal, so either Torres or Andujar. He's probably going to pitch very well in HOU because everyone seems to get better when going there, but it's way way too early to call not trading for him a mistake, no matter what you wrote from your couch at the time (not aimed at anyone specifically).

If NY had already had Drury and/or Walker under contract, then maybe Cashman would have been OK moving Andujar, but that's not the way things worked out. Onward and hopefully upward...
    Of course it's too early so we'll see how it plays out over the next year or two.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post

Completely agree with this. Ignorant fans got scared off one average season. Cole would have been a great get at the cost of Andujar (who is better than Moran).

Stop overvaluing prospects everybody. That includes me.

Looking like he made a big mistake not trading for Cole. You can't have what 60% of your rotation not going deep into games. That will wreck your pen. This isn't a issue that popped up during the season. Cashman had to known CC does not go more than 5 innings, Gray averaged like 6 innings in his career. Monty is a kid, so who knows.

What I don't understand was, if Drury or another player similar to him at third base was available via trade, why was Andujar the holdup?

I was under the impression after the Headley trade that Andujar was the starting 3rd baseman. Beginning of ST a trade is made for a third baseman which made Andujar expendable, well after Cole was dealt. Strange...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    What I don't understand was, if Drury or another player similar to him at third base was available via trade, why was Andujar the holdup?
    This raises a question in my mind also. I was advocating trading for Cole and was willing to give up a package headed by Frazier & Chance Adams, but didn't want to include Andujar either. But after the Drury deal, it was said that Cashman's been trying to pry Drury away from the D-backs for a long time.

If he had included Andujar in a package to obtain Cole and dealt for Drury at the same time, wouldn't the team have been better off ? They'd still have Gleyber to try his hand @ 3rd. It'd be easier to find a competent 2nd baseman. Plus Dermis Garcia is working his way up.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    This raises a question in my mind also. I was advocating trading for Cole and was willing to give up a package headed by Frazier & Chance Adams, but didn't want to include Andujar either. But after the Drury deal, it was said that Cashman's been trying to pry Drury away from the D-backs for a long time.

If he had included Andujar in a package to obtain Cole and dealt for Drury at the same time, wouldn't the team have been better off ? They'd still have Gleyber to try his hand @ 3rd. It'd be easier to find a competent 2nd baseman. Plus Dermis Garcia is working his way up.
    There’s another reason you offer up Miguel freakin Andujar in a package for Cole: to get the Astros to cough up more.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

I wasn't enamored of Cole at the time of the trade speculation, and nothing has changed for me to this point. He's had two stellar games against two of the worst teams in baseball, and the first two weeks of the season can really be misleading.

When he's killing it down the stretch and in the postseason after a top-tier seasonal performance I'll be regretful.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    If he had included Andujar in a package to obtain Cole and dealt for Drury at the same time, wouldn't the team have been better off ?
    Drury wasn't available until JD Martinez signed with Boston, and Arizona needed to try to replace his production with Souza but they couldn't work out a deal directly.

NYYF Legend

Really want to Cash to pick up a LOOGY somewhere and dump Shreve. He serves no purpose on this team.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

He's been shaky with the pitching over the years. Sonny Gray is one of the latest example.

Really want to Cash to pick up a LOOGY somewhere and dump Shreve. He serves no purpose on this team.
    Imagine if we had traded Betances for Frazier and Sheffield and still had Miller.

Overrated.

Go back to Cali, Cali, Cali ArodEra's Avatar

Somebody keep this man away from making or contributing to starting pitching personnel decisions.

German better stay on the 25 for the rest of the year regardless.

This years Chad Green.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

This years Chad Green.
    I'll take another Chad Green. However, German has 3 legit pitches. He's much more of a starter for me. Hope he gets that chance.
    Calmer than you are

I'm hoping Acevedo is this year's Chad Green.

I'd rather that Sonny Gray be this year's Carl Pavano so that one of these kids can be this year's Aaron Small.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Not that we’d have any insight into this, but it doesn’t even seem like there will be any ace type caliber pitchers that are available by this deadline... Cole may have been Cashman’s last chance to really add an impact arm

I believe the offense will start rolling once it warms up, but this rotation is absolutely terrifying
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Not that we’d have any insight into this, but it doesn’t even seem like there will be any ace type caliber pitchers that are available by this deadline... Cole may have been Cashman’s last chance to really add an impact arm

I believe the offense will start rolling once it warms up, but this rotation is absolutely terrifying
    The rotation needs major improvement and it has to give them more length so they can stop placing so much pressure on the bullpen.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

This years Chad Green.
    No, he needs to be stretched out the be the 6th starter. The only other AAA starter on the 40 man roster is Cessa who is destined to be a reliever.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    No, he needs to be stretched out the be the 6th starter. The only other AAA starter on the 40 man roster is Cessa who is destined to be a reliever.
    Then the logical move would be to send German down when Cessa comes up for his Saturday start and put Domingo back into the SWB rotation to prepare for that role.

CC should be back for the next start Friday, the 20th against the Blue Jays.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information