+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 66 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Brian Cashman Performance Thread

A-Rod on the broadcast just accidentally indicted Cashman for tampering.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Cashman needs to keep the focus on developing his pitching internally while making the necessary additions, but with more success than beforehand. His recent track record with acquiring position players is better than it is with starting pitching. Perhaps, one day he'll hit on one of those too. It just seems to me that for some reason, those past acquired starting pitchers wilted to the pressure. Previously, Cashman stated that he made a mistake not evaluating the mental and emotional makeup of Jeff Weaver before acquiring him. Yet, it appears that Sonny Gray is having some of those same issues. I'm sure they did their due diligence in evaluating Gray, but it's not working out. It just seems to me that pitchers coming out of the system are better prepared to handle the pressure of pitching in Yankee Stadium. Cashman needs to find that right mercenary that relishes taking the bump at Yankee Stadium.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Triple Crown

I truly believe this. We need Torreyes back. He doesn't strike out, puts the bat on the ball, solid fielder, and we just play better with him in the dugout. I like Drury - Torreyes as backups and just DFA Walker.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    I truly believe this. We need Torreyes back. He doesn't strike out, puts the bat on the ball, solid fielder, and we just play better with him in the dugout. I like Drury - Torreyes as backups and just DFA Walker.
    I believe he took a personal leave and came to NY. Some family issue, with details not readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Cashman needs to keep the focus on developing his pitching internally while making the necessary additions, but with more success than beforehand. His recent track record with acquiring position players is better than it is with starting pitching. Perhaps, one day he'll hit on one of those too. It just seems to me that for some reason, those past acquired starting pitchers wilted to the pressure. Previously, Cashman stated that he made a mistake not evaluating the mental and emotional makeup of Jeff Weaver before acquiring him. Yet, it appears that Sonny Gray is having some of those same issues. I'm sure they did their due diligence in evaluating Gray, but it's not working out. It just seems to me that pitchers coming out of the system are better prepared to handle the pressure of pitching in Yankee Stadium. Cashman needs to find that right mercenary that relishes taking the bump at Yankee Stadium.

when it comes to making deals with other teams for pitchers cashman has failed last year and over the winter..

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I believe he took a personal leave and came to NY. Some family issue, with details not readily available.
    Thanks - temporary inactive. My bad. I should have checked because look at the SWB box to follow Frazier, like McBroom (1B) and Sheffield (LHP). Cessa is today and I know he wasn't ready his last game as a filler. Hope everything is OK and he returns because I like him and Arron still does his high five.

NYYF Legend

Do your job. Pull the trigger.

2 rotation members have an ERA+ 5. Another coming back with an ERA close to 5. Another with one knee.

Need 2 starters.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Do your job. Pull the trigger.

2 rotation members have an ERA+ 5. Another coming back with an ERA close to 5. Another with one knee.

Need 2 starters.
    We need one. Unless you want Littell for Garcia pt. 2.

Which brought me here in the first place. Why is Hale on the roster? And at what point are you bringing up Kahnle? 21 Ks in 12 innings = good.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

Which brought me here in the first place. Why is Hale on the roster? And at what point are you bringing up Kahnle? 21 Ks in 12 innings = good.
    I think Kahnle is getting close to returning as they pitched him in consecutive days on Sunday and Monday.

NYYF Legend

Previously, Cashman stated that he made a mistake not evaluating the mental and emotional makeup of Jeff Weaver before acquiring him. Yet, it appears that Sonny Gray is having some of those same issues.
    I will give him more grief for Weaver than Gray. If I remember right, Weaver had demonstrated issues with the Tigers (he was caught smoking marijuana in the back of the Tigers' plane once I think) and if I remember right was always considered a bit of a "hothead". Smoking weed doesn't necessarily make you a bad guy but coupled with bad pitching it's an eyebrow-raiser. I don't think Sonny had any behavioral issues coming in, he just froze.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I will give him more grief for Weaver than Gray. If I remember right, Weaver had demonstrated issues with the Tigers (he was caught smoking marijuana in the back of the Tigers' plane once I think. Smoking weed doesn't necessarily make you a bad guy but coupled with bad pitching it's an eyebrow-raiser. I don't think Sonny had any behavioral issues coming in, he just froze.
    Weaver was a knucklehead while Gray just seems to succumb to the pressure of pitching at Yankee Stadium with the inability to execute his pitches.

NYYF Legend

Weaver was a knucklehead while Gray just seems to succumb to the pressure of pitching at Yankee Stadium with the inability to execute his pitches.
    Correct. Which again is why I am more inclined to assign blame on the Weaver thing, in fact, if I remember, wasn't there an attitude back then that the famously professional Yankee clubhouse under Torre would somehow "mature" Weaver? "Take a jerk and put him in the Yankee clubhouse, they'll straighten him out" seemed to be a meme back then.

It is incredible to be 25+ games over .500 with only two starting pitchers...
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

Don't agree. Need a Happ and need a DeGrom.

Don't want German in this rotation any longer.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Correct. Which again is why I am more inclined to assign blame on the Weaver thing, in fact, if I remember, wasn't there an attitude back then that the famously professional Yankee clubhouse under Torre would somehow "mature" Weaver? "Take a jerk and put him in the Yankee clubhouse, they'll straighten him out" seemed to be a meme back then.
    Yes there was. Good memory. They were all ready to take Albert Belle to replace Bernie, when Bernie was all set to sign with Boston in the late 1990s. Now that would have been an epic failure.

And good bye 1990s dynasty.

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

Iíve decided that Cashman has put together a really strong staff that evaluates amateurs.
    I have to assume Cashman is not really involved at that level of evaluation.

I believe he is involved in evaluation of ML players who are on other teams.
    I donít feel he is very good at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    I’ve decided that Cashman has put together a really strong staff that evaluates amateurs.
    I have to assume Cashman is not really involved at that level of evaluation.

I believe he is involved in evaluation of ML players who are on other teams.
    I don’t feel he is very good at this.
    I don't believe that's the case at all. I think Cashman bases his decisions on consensus from his scouting and analytics staff. He uses the same process to acquire Sonny Gray as he did with Didi and Hicks. They hit on the latter, but missed on the former. With that said, it's time for Cashman to make the decision on Gray that he clearly doesn't want to, but is being force to make because Gray isn't even effective on the road any longer. He's been awful and Cashman needs to address that awfulness. They probably give him one last start against Baltimore before the all-star break due to the DH on Monday. I think the deadline to send him down to the minors without his permission is early next week so perhaps that's an option Cashman will use for now. He needs to do something and he knows it.

I don't believe that's the case at all. I think Cashman bases his decisions on consensus from his scouting and analytics staff. He uses the same process to acquire Sonny Gray as he did with Didi and Hicks. They hit on the latter, but missed on the former. With that said, it's time for Cashman to make the decision on Gray that he clearly doesn't want to, but is being force to make because Gray isn't even effective on the road any longer. He's been awful and Cashman needs to address that awfulness. They probably give him one last start against Baltimore before the all-star break due to the DH on Monday. I think the deadline to send him down to the minors without his permission is early next week so perhaps that's an option Cashman will use for now. He needs to do something and he knows it.
    Youíre right, and I stand corrected from the other thread. I misread Gray's service time; he started this season with 4 years, 61 days. So why they havenít sent him down before this is beyond me.

This team always seems to have just plain dead weight on the squad. I have no idea if they're like beloved in the clubhouse or something, or wreck havoc in Fortnight with the guys. Whenever Gray gets penciled in to start a game, the Yankees basically lose. We know it, they know it. The position players seem to know it because it doesn't even seem like they up forth their best effort anymore. I don't think I'm the only one who wants him absolutely shelled every time out so that he just gets forcefully jettisoned from the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You’re right, and I stand corrected from the other thread. I misread Gray's service time; he started this season with 4 years, 61 days. So why they haven’t sent him down before this is beyond me.
    The answer to your question is sad but true. Gray is the best they have to throw out there every 5th day. They already have two pitchers on the shelf with Montgomery and Tanaka. Your starting pitching depth can only be so deep. And I am all for bringing in happ or hamles, I dont want to trade the farm for one of the Mets pitchers. You only need 4 starters for the playoffs. Sevy and cc definitely. Tanaka is a maybe, then after that who knows. But trading the farm for a starter is way to scary.

I've said it before an I'll say it again, the sox gm did a great job of getting sale in the off season. He got him and traded top prospects yes, but they didnt have to give up any talent that played in the majors. With the yanks, if they want to get one of the Mets guys, your talking at least 2 players with major league experience, plus top prospects.

NYYF Legend

Nice move Cashman. Bring up Cessa to lose another game. Meanwhile Sheffield stays at Scranton. Is there any logical reason to not give Sheffield a chance? And please stop with the 40 man roster crap. If they are so serious about winning this season we should not be running Cessa out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Is there any logical reason to not give Sheffield a chance?
    He's not ready and hasn't exactly been developing quickly. I doubt he's MLB-ready until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    He's not ready and hasn't exactly been developing quickly. I doubt he's MLB-ready until next year.
    I doubt next season will be with the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    What more does he need to demonstrate to "be ready"?

2018 mL stats:

Averaging 5.3 Innings per Appearance (he made one relief appearance and pitched six innings)
    WHIP: 1.130
    HR/9: 0.3
    K/9: 9.9
    ERA: 2.49
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information