+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The other problem is that the pitching rotation is a 5 day cycle, and Saturday day games after Friday night games are on a 7 day cycle. Thats too much playing time for Romine to get all the Saturday games plus all of Gray's starts that dont fall on a Friday or Saturday. And he's not going to hit like this.
    I'd much rather wear romine out than Sanchez. Yanks need sanchez to be healthy and in the right state of mind come September/October. Romine is very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    he cannot pitch at yankee stadium
    Took the words out of my mouth lol. So, so far he can only pitch to romine and only pitch on the road. I'm sure theres probably something else I'm missing like, he can only pitch during the day, on even number days lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth lol. So, so far he can only pitch to romine and only pitch on the road. I'm sure theres probably something else I'm missing like, he can only pitch during the day, on even number days lol.

the body language was awful right from the start first inning he threw 30 pitches.. that did not happen his last 2 starts on the road.. you knew he would struggle today...

Sonny up to his old tricks again. Dr. Jekyll on the road (2.83 ERA) and Mr. Hyde in The Stadium (7.22 ERA). Sonny now has an ERA of 6.49 at home in 12 starts since joining the Yankees last year.

I wasn't watching closely, but after the lengthy first inning he seemed to settle down quite nicely. The 3 run HR was basically a pop up that carried 318 feet. I didn't think he was terrible tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Sonny up to his old tricks again. Dr. Jekyll on the road (2.83 ERA) and Mr. Hyde in The Stadium (7.22 ERA). Sonny now has an ERA of 6.49 at home in 12 starts since joining the Yankees last year.
    Painfully obvious that he cannot hack pitching in YSIII.

They really need to give him the Ed Whitson treatment and pitch him exclusively on the road.
    They can find any scrub off the scrapheap to post a better ERA at home....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    I wasn't watching closely, but after the lengthy first inning he seemed to settle down quite nicely. The 3 run HR was basically a pop up that carried 318 feet. I didn't think he was terrible tonight.
    This. Sonny was fine today, he just ran into bad luck with that pop up HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    over 30 pitches first inning walks murphy 2 outs then gives up a hard hit to the wall;; then the home run 4 runs 5 innings awful start.. over 7:00 era before tonight's game pitching this year at the stadium...

NYYF Legend

He also had plenty of good luck - 2 pickoffs, a runner nailed at second after a lineout and a runner nailed at second trying to advance on a single.

NYYF Legend

Trade in the offseason. Should be pretty easy.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

The only thing that really annoyed me about his performance today was that when the going got tough he reverted to his slow-paced, lots of pitches ways.

You have to commit to significant changes like accelerating your pace on the mound for it to mean anything in the long run; there are no half-measures.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Calls a tool a tool

Fine? Lucky he didnt give up 8 runs. Wash baserunners gave him 4 outs in 2 innings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Trade in the offseason. Should be pretty easy.
    This.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    he cannot pitch at yankee stadium
    Have they revoked his Yankee Stadium pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The only thing that really annoyed me about his performance today was that when the going got tough he reverted to his slow-paced, lots of pitches ways.

You have to commit to significant changes like accelerating your pace on the mound for it to mean anything in the long run; there are no half-measures.
    It looked like Rendon was deliberately going through an hourís worth of adjustments to throw him off

Simply not the same pitcher as he was in Oakland and pre injury.

The fact that he sucks at YS and is good on the road, plays into the pressure aspect of maybe not handling/being comfortable in NY. imo I think his numbers weren't good last year either at YS.

He came here as a ground ball pitcher too. So YS small dimensions should not be a big factor.

It's obvious the Yankee Stadium dimensions are in his head. What Gray needs to understand is he is going to give up homeruns at the stadium but he needs learn how to minimize the damage. Much has been made of the three run homer tonight but what beat him is what proceeded the three run homer, specifically a two out walk with nobody on base with a two run lead. If he challenges the hitter there and gets taken deep he's still winning, but start putting runners on base and build up the pitch count and that leads to homeruns with men on base.

I still believe Gray can be a decent 3-4 starter for them.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    It's obvious the Yankee Stadium dimensions are in his head. What Gray needs to understand is he is going to give up homeruns at the stadium but he needs learn how to minimize the damage. Much has been made of the three run homer tonight but what beat him is what proceeded the three run homer, specifically a two out walk with nobody on base with a two run lead. If he challenges the hitter there and gets taken deep he's still winning, but start putting runners on base and build up the pitch count and that leads to homeruns with men on base.
    Good point.

His control is the worst it's been in his career.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Good point.

His control is the worst it's been in his career.
    Tanaka leads the planet in giving up homeruns and is still a winning pitcher. The key is he minimizes the damage by not walking a ton of batters.

I didn't think he was bad by any stretch but it also wasn't good enough given his reputation. He has to be better than just okay-ish although I think he should've been given the chance to at least start the 6th.

NYYF Triple Crown

He’s gotten boring to me.

He looked like Jose Veras with his control out there. Just throwing and hoping he gets lucky.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

I realize I'm focusing on piddly stuff here but next time he catches the throw-back from the catcher and flips the ball up in the air with his mitt so he can catch it with his pitching hand i want to take a hammer and bash all his teeth out.

Diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Get the GD ball, get the sign, THROW. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I didn't think he was bad by any stretch
    He was bad by every stretch. I have been trying really hard not to join the dogpile on him here but I am just about out of patience.

diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Does he get paid by the hour?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    They really need to give him the Ed Whitson treatment and pitch him exclusively on the road.
    The Whitson-on-the-road gambit ultimately didn't work. Bad pitchers will eventually find a way to be bad anywhere.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I realize I'm focusing on piddly stuff here but next time he catches the throw-back from the catcher and flips the ball up in the air with his mitt so he can catch it with his pitching hand i want to take a hammer and bash all his teeth out.

Diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Get the GD ball, get the sign, THROW. FFS.
    Oh man, I so disagree! This is the one thing I actively love about watching him even when he's terrible. I've even come close to posting about a few times. It's such a well coordinated and executed move that's so much harder to do as perfectly as he does it every single time. I'm so enamored by that perfect flip, and it often makes me wonder, "how can he execute that so exactly every time, but he can't throw a strike?
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

He was bad by every stretch.
    I have been trying really hard not to join the dogpile on him here but I am just about out of patience.

diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Does he get paid by the hour?

Technically he was 2 for 2 in pick offs so he couldn't of been bad at that, no?

Thread Information