+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 456
  1. #401

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The other problem is that the pitching rotation is a 5 day cycle, and Saturday day games after Friday night games are on a 7 day cycle. Thats too much playing time for Romine to get all the Saturday games plus all of Gray's starts that dont fall on a Friday or Saturday. And he's not going to hit like this.
    I'd much rather wear romine out than Sanchez. Yanks need sanchez to be healthy and in the right state of mind come September/October. Romine is very underrated.

  2. #402

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    he cannot pitch at yankee stadium
    Took the words out of my mouth lol. So, so far he can only pitch to romine and only pitch on the road. I'm sure theres probably something else I'm missing like, he can only pitch during the day, on even number days lol.

  3. #403

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth lol. So, so far he can only pitch to romine and only pitch on the road. I'm sure theres probably something else I'm missing like, he can only pitch during the day, on even number days lol.

    the body language was awful right from the start first inning he threw 30 pitches.. that did not happen his last 2 starts on the road.. you knew he would struggle today...

  4. #404

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Sonny up to his old tricks again. Dr. Jekyll on the road (2.83 ERA) and Mr. Hyde in The Stadium (7.22 ERA). Sonny now has an ERA of 6.49 at home in 12 starts since joining the Yankees last year.

  5. #405

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    I wasn't watching closely, but after the lengthy first inning he seemed to settle down quite nicely. The 3 run HR was basically a pop up that carried 318 feet. I didn't think he was terrible tonight.

  6. #406

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Sonny up to his old tricks again. Dr. Jekyll on the road (2.83 ERA) and Mr. Hyde in The Stadium (7.22 ERA). Sonny now has an ERA of 6.49 at home in 12 starts since joining the Yankees last year.
    Painfully obvious that he cannot hack pitching in YSIII.

    They really need to give him the Ed Whitson treatment and pitch him exclusively on the road.
    They can find any scrub off the scrapheap to post a better ERA at home....
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  7. #407

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    I wasn't watching closely, but after the lengthy first inning he seemed to settle down quite nicely. The 3 run HR was basically a pop up that carried 318 feet. I didn't think he was terrible tonight.
    This. Sonny was fine today, he just ran into bad luck with that pop up HR.

  8. #408

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    This. Sonny was fine today, he just ran into bad luck with that pop up HR.
    over 30 pitches first inning walks murphy 2 outs then gives up a hard hit to the wall;; then the home run 4 runs 5 innings awful start.. over 7:00 era before tonight's game pitching this year at the stadium...

  9. #409
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    This. Sonny was fine today, he just ran into bad luck with that pop up HR.
    He also had plenty of good luck - 2 pickoffs, a runner nailed at second after a lineout and a runner nailed at second trying to advance on a single.

  10. #410
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Trade in the offseason. Should be pretty easy.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  11. #411
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    The only thing that really annoyed me about his performance today was that when the going got tough he reverted to his slow-paced, lots of pitches ways.

    You have to commit to significant changes like accelerating your pace on the mound for it to mean anything in the long run; there are no half-measures.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  12. #412
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Roundelk View Post
    This. Sonny was fine today, he just ran into bad luck with that pop up HR.
    Fine? Lucky he didnt give up 8 runs. Wash baserunners gave him 4 outs in 2 innings.

  13. #413
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Trade in the offseason. Should be pretty easy.
    This.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  14. #414

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    he cannot pitch at yankee stadium
    Have they revoked his Yankee Stadium pass?

  15. #415
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The only thing that really annoyed me about his performance today was that when the going got tough he reverted to his slow-paced, lots of pitches ways.

    You have to commit to significant changes like accelerating your pace on the mound for it to mean anything in the long run; there are no half-measures.
    It looked like Rendon was deliberately going through an hourís worth of adjustments to throw him off

  16. #416
    Joey Binder SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Simply not the same pitcher as he was in Oakland and pre injury.

    The fact that he sucks at YS and is good on the road, plays into the pressure aspect of maybe not handling/being comfortable in NY. imo I think his numbers weren't good last year either at YS.

    He came here as a ground ball pitcher too. So YS small dimensions should not be a big factor.

  17. #417

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    It's obvious the Yankee Stadium dimensions are in his head. What Gray needs to understand is he is going to give up homeruns at the stadium but he needs learn how to minimize the damage. Much has been made of the three run homer tonight but what beat him is what proceeded the three run homer, specifically a two out walk with nobody on base with a two run lead. If he challenges the hitter there and gets taken deep he's still winning, but start putting runners on base and build up the pitch count and that leads to homeruns with men on base.

    I still believe Gray can be a decent 3-4 starter for them.

  18. #418
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    It's obvious the Yankee Stadium dimensions are in his head. What Gray needs to understand is he is going to give up homeruns at the stadium but he needs learn how to minimize the damage. Much has been made of the three run homer tonight but what beat him is what proceeded the three run homer, specifically a two out walk with nobody on base with a two run lead. If he challenges the hitter there and gets taken deep he's still winning, but start putting runners on base and build up the pitch count and that leads to homeruns with men on base.
    Good point.

    His control is the worst it's been in his career.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  19. #419

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Good point.

    His control is the worst it's been in his career.
    Tanaka leads the planet in giving up homeruns and is still a winning pitcher. The key is he minimizes the damage by not walking a ton of batters.

  20. #420

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    I didn't think he was bad by any stretch but it also wasn't good enough given his reputation. He has to be better than just okay-ish although I think he should've been given the chance to at least start the 6th.

  21. #421
    NYYF Triple Crown

    Vin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    He’s gotten boring to me.

    He looked like Jose Veras with his control out there. Just throwing and hoping he gets lucky.

  22. #422
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The only thing that really annoyed me about his performance today was that when the going got tough he reverted to his slow-paced, lots of pitches ways.

    You have to commit to significant changes like accelerating your pace on the mound for it to mean anything in the long run; there are no half-measures.
    I realize I'm focusing on piddly stuff here but next time he catches the throw-back from the catcher and flips the ball up in the air with his mitt so he can catch it with his pitching hand i want to take a hammer and bash all his teeth out.

    Diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Get the GD ball, get the sign, THROW. FFS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I didn't think he was bad by any stretch
    He was bad by every stretch. I have been trying really hard not to join the dogpile on him here but I am just about out of patience.

    diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Does he get paid by the hour?

  23. #423
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    They really need to give him the Ed Whitson treatment and pitch him exclusively on the road.
    The Whitson-on-the-road gambit ultimately didn't work. Bad pitchers will eventually find a way to be bad anywhere.

  24. #424
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I realize I'm focusing on piddly stuff here but next time he catches the throw-back from the catcher and flips the ball up in the air with his mitt so he can catch it with his pitching hand i want to take a hammer and bash all his teeth out.

    Diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Get the GD ball, get the sign, THROW. FFS.
    Oh man, I so disagree! This is the one thing I actively love about watching him even when he's terrible. I've even come close to posting about a few times. It's such a well coordinated and executed move that's so much harder to do as perfectly as he does it every single time. I'm so enamored by that perfect flip, and it often makes me wonder, "how can he execute that so exactly every time, but he can't throw a strike?
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  25. #425

    Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I realize I'm focusing on piddly stuff here but next time he catches the throw-back from the catcher and flips the ball up in the air with his mitt so he can catch it with his pitching hand i want to take a hammer and bash all his teeth out.

    Diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Get the GD ball, get the sign, THROW. FFS.

    He was bad by every stretch.
    I have been trying really hard not to join the dogpile on him here but I am just about out of patience.

    diddle diddle diddle diddle diddle. Does he get paid by the hour?

    Technically he was 2 for 2 in pick offs so he couldn't of been bad at that, no?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts