+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

Guy nibbles too much. Painful to watch at times. He's never going to go deep into games like this.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Guy nibbles too much. Painful to watch at times. He's never going to go deep into games like this.
    He really does make it look hard.

Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    pickles always like to put the Yankees in a pickle. And this post will be approved by ClownPickle.

NYYF Legend

While today was a disappointment, I still think that Gray will have a solid year for the Yankees and will not be the type of pitcher who gives the team 4-5 innings a start.

Reject Fascism

He can be a one or a two if he stopped the nibbling
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

NYYF Legend

Lost in yesterdayís bullpen meltdown is the fact that Gray failed go get through 5 IP. This could be a problem this year because CC will likely not pitch deep into games either. This bullpen is going to be overworked.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Lost in yesterday’s bullpen meltdown is the fact that Gray failed go get through 5 IP. This could be a problem this year because CC will likely not pitch deep into games either. This bullpen is going to be overworked.
    It's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of Gray and did not like the trade to bring him here last year - this is who he is. He won't attack hitters and if they don't chase at his offerings, it's typically a long day.

Pitching in Oakland for all those years masked his limitations as a pitcher.
    In Oakland, his mistakes were typically long, flyball outs. In the AL East, they become doubles and HRs.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    It's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of Gray and did not like the trade to bring him here last year - this is who he is. He won't attack hitters and if they don't chase at his offerings, it's typically a long day.

In Oakland, his mistakes were typically long, flyball outs. In the AL East, they become doubles and HRs.
    I think this sums it up brilliantly. He is who he is. It's difficult to get excited about this guy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Lost in yesterdayís bullpen meltdown is the fact that Gray failed go get through 5 IP. This could be a problem this year because CC will likely not pitch deep into games either. This bullpen is going to be overworked.
    Itís not lost, itís the reason CP started the thread.

But it is start one and Yanks seem to be limiting SP to aroun 90P for first start.

I like gray more than most on this site and Iím looking for big things from him.

When the season is over I suspect heíll be the Yankees 2nd best SP on 5he seaon
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Except his home road splits were nearly identical in Oakland
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Except his home road splits were nearly identical in Oakland
    Yet only 6 of his 16 starts with Oakland were on the road last year - clearly, the A’s knew he was far more effective in Oakland and set up their rotation accordingly.

He also didn’t have to regularly pitch in AL East ballparks such as YSIII, Fenway or Camden Yards.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Yet only 6 of his 16 starts with Oakland were on the road last year - clearly, the Aís knew he was far more effective in Oakland and set up their rotation accordingly.

He also didnít have to regularly pitch in AL East ballparks such as YSIII, Fenway or Camden Yards.
    IMO, Gray didnít have fastball command yesterday which has nothing to do with AL East ballparks. With that said Iím not going to dismiss your non-attacking assertion about Gray as it may be true. Iíll be watching his future starts with that in mind.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

Yet only 6 of his 16 starts with Oakland were on the road last year - clearly, the Aís knew he was far more effective in Oakland and set up their rotation accordingly.

He also didnít have to regularly pitch in AL East ballparks such as YSIII, Fenway or Camden Yards.
    Nice take a 22 game small sample from a little over half a season.

In his career he has 65 home starts (3.65 ERA) and 61 road starts (3.20). 60 of his home starts were in the Coliseum where he had a 3.50 ERA.

You are correctly about an AL west pitcher not regularly pitching in AL east parks and time will tell if he adjusts to that or not. But frankly I think the lines you face are more important that park you pitch in.

He's clearly got the "stuff" to play in any park the questions whether or not he trust it enough from start to start to not nibble at corners so much early in the count that drives his P count up.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Personally, I really like Sonny Gray. I was very happy we were able to get him last year. I know the cost may be big, especially if the kids stay healthy and perform like we expected them to when they were here.

But Gray has the ability to be a top of the rotation piece, and I believe he will be one for the Yankees in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Personally, I really like Sonny Gray. I was very happy we were able to get him last year. I know the cost may be big, especially if the kids stay healthy and perform like we expected them to when they were here.

But Gray has the ability to be a top of the rotation piece, and I believe he will be one for the Yankees in 2018.
    Watching him pitch makes my balls hurt.

NYYF Legend

https://nypost.com/2018/04/07/sonny-...portant-start/

Getting 6 outs with 11 pitches over the first two innings certainly was the key to Gray going deeper into the game.

I think by the time the weather gets warm, Sonny will be able to throw 100+ pitches each time out - IMO that's the best way he can contribute to this club. Aggressiveness is what'll get him into the 7th inning.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/04/07/sonny-...portant-start/

Getting 6 outs with 11 pitches over the first two innings certainly was the key to Gray going deeper into the game.

I think by the time the weather gets warm, Sonny will be able to throw 100+ pitches each time out - IMO that's the best way he can contribute to this club. Aggressiveness is what'll get him into the 7th inning.
    given he's suppose to be a ground ball pitcher, he needs more innings like this.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Tonight would be a really good night for Gray to go 7 strong IP.
    Baseball is life;

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Sonny Gray writes on the blackboard:

I Will Not Nibble Tonight.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Absolute trash.

NYYF Legend

He needs to make some real changes if he hopes to be the TOR guy he's capable of being. He can't keep repeating this same ineffective plan/effort/approach.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Sonny Gray writes on the blackboard:

I think it is because his favorite pre-game meal is kibble.

I did not like this deal last year and I still don't - if I had my furthers, he wouldn't be on this team.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    He needs to make some real changes if he hopes to be the TOR guy he's capable of being. He can't keep repeating this same ineffective plan/effort/approach.
    For me he has become must-not-see-TV. I cannot watch him.

I'm hoping to take my son to at least one game at the Stadium this year (we live far away) and I really need to plan this out so we don't go to a game he's pitching.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    While today was a disappointment, I still think that Gray will have a solid year for the Yankees and will not be the type of pitcher who gives the team 4-5 innings a start.
    Sorry but you are wrong. Gray is a bust

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    Sorry but you are wrong. Gray is a bust
    God, it must be great to know you're right about a person.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

Thread Information