+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Those aren't the only two options. The Twins are one of the worst offensive clubs in baseball. He'll pitch better tonight, but not necessarily because of Romine.
    If he pitches well there are a ton of different reasons that might cause it.

But if he does pitch well tonight I wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez catch the next 4 games with Romine catching the 5th one.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I'm glad Romine got Gray all figured out. Gray loves throwing to him.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

these pickles are rotten. Throw em out. Buy some new ones

Reject Fascism

Obviously the catcher isnít the issue.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm glad Romine got Gray all figured out. Gray loves throwing to him.
    He could have Johnny Bench come out of retirement to catch for him and still pitch like a gutless turd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Shows Muscle View Post
    He could have Johnny Bench come out of retirement to catch for him and still pitch like a gutless turd.
    What a shocker - Yanks have been playing great, yet the only thing you felt the need to post about was Gray. Youíre either the most negative fan Iíve ever come across, or a troll. No middle ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    What a shocker - Yanks have been playing great, yet the only thing you felt the need to post about was Gray. Youíre either the most negative fan Iíve ever come across, or a troll. No middle ground here.
    Careful. I called him out on some negativity a while back and got suspended for a week. As crazy as retired doc was, I would take him over someone like Russel 10/10 times.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Heís so much better than this. Itís like watching a different pitcher from his time in OAK.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Shows Muscle View Post
    Gray is a less talented AJ Burnette....

I cant believe so many though he would be a good pitcher....
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Heís so much better than this. Itís like watching a different pitcher from his time in OAK.
    It's like pitching in a hitter-friendly ballpark (and a division full of them) is exposing him for what he always was.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's like pitching in a hitter-friendly ballpark (and a division full of them) is exposing him for what he always was.
    No, something is different and it isn't the ballpark or the division. There has to be something wrong with his mechanics that they have to figure out.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

I still think he is going to end up being a solid pitcher for us. He has gotten off to slow starts in the past, although not quite not this slow.

NYYF Legend

104 pitches in 4.2 innings. Did I read that right?
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    No, something is different and it isn't the ballpark or the division. There has to be something wrong with his mechanics that they have to figure out.
    Except Gray always struggled in AL East ballparks - even when he was still in Oakland.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    104 pitches in 4.2 innings. Did I read that right?

I bet that was fun to watch.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Except Gray always struggled in AL East ballparks - even when he was still in Oakland.
    2015-2017

Camden Yards 2 starts 0.79 era

Roger Center 4 starts 2.16 era

Tropicana 3 stars 2.70 era

He did have trouble with Yankee stadium and Fenway. 5 and 9 era. With 9 starts combine against them.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post

His career dictated as such. At least it wasn't Gary behind he plate for people to point the finger at. Unfortunately, it wasn't Gary behind the plate, so management did feel the need to give Gray the defensive wizard that is Romine, the start.

He'll be better than this but he's not giving himself much rope to work with.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    Gray is a less talented AJ Burnette....

No.

a) (nitpick) Burnett not Burnette.
    b) A.J. wasn't a nibbler like Gray, he was legitimately WILD. Seriously WILD. Gray has plenty of talent I think but damn it is dentistry without novocaine, NIBBLE NIBBLE NIBBLE NIBBLE.
    c) A.J. had one full season here (the championship year of 2009) where he pitched up to career norms. For all his troubles he was a net asset to the 2009 Yankees despite the 2010-11 crash-and-burn that was to come. Nothing good to say about Sonny's tenure so far.

Disclosure: I condoned the Gray trade when it happened.

I actually laughed when I looked at his WHIP
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    No.

b) A.J. wasn't a nibbler like Gray, he was legitimately WILD. Seriously WILD. Gray has plenty of talent I think but damn it is dentistry without novocaine, NIBBLE NIBBLE NIBBLE NIBBLE.
    c) A.J. had one full season here (the championship year of 2009) where he pitched up to career norms. For all his troubles he was a net asset to the 2009 Yankees despite the 2010-11 crash-and-burn that was to come. Nothing good to say about Sonny's tenure so far.

I bet Sonny Gray doesnít have pierced nipples, either.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    No.

Gray is a nibbler, but I don't think that's the problem now. I think he is having legitimate command issues and for whatever reason can't throw his pitches for strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Some people just can't make it in the big apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Gray is a nibbler, but I don't think that's the problem now. I think he is having legitimate command issues and for whatever reason can't throw his pitches for strikes.

I thought Paul O'Neil broke it down perfectly last night. Gray has two issues, he's is not throwing his curve ball for strikes and his fastball is on the same plane. So essentially a hitter can lock it on a fastball in one general area.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I thought Paul O'Neil broke it down perfectly last night. Gray has two issues, he's is not throwing his curve ball for strikes and his fastball is on the same plane. So essentially a hitter can lock it on a fastball in one general area.
    Right, he's not utilizing the upper strike zone with his fastball, every fastball is low. A pitcher needs to be able to throw high and low strikes with his fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks1026 View Post
    Some people just can't make it in the big apple.

This is way too simplistic. Two years ago Severino was that worst pitcher in the AL, he made adjustments. Gray actually pitched well on a big stage against Houston in the ALCS last year and I remember him pitching a really good game for Oakland in the playoffs, so the theory that he can't handle the big stage doesn't hold water. The more likely scenario is he hasn't made the adjustments that are required to pitch in a hitter's park and a tougher division. He may never make the adjustments but I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

Thread Information