+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

.......scared of contact! Another nibbler with the constant 3/2 count. Put him in the 5 hole and then evaluate come all star time.
    Personally I would have left him in there instead of pressuring the rookie. The rookie was tougher than Gray.

This team has a really long year ahead of them, might get worse before it gets better.
    You'd think someone would give Sanchez a leather glove instead of the wooden one he uses.

Calls a tool a tool

Mama Leone left a note on his door, it said "Sonny, move out to the country, cause your starts seem like such a waste of time."

If they traded a couple of concessions workers for Gray, it would have been a bad trade.

Not sure where Gray goes from here, but this team cannot afford to face an automatic loss each time he starts.

If he doesn't turn it around in the next couple of starts, they need to consider demoting him to the bullpen.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Absolute garbage.

Where is everyone who insisted this was a #1 starter and lost their sh*t on those of us who insisted he wasnít even a #2 when Cashman traded for him last year?
    Still here. I didn't call him an ace, but he has been a solid #2 throughout his career... until he got here. I am quickly losing my patience with him. His stuff is too good for him to be pitching this badly. He just has to trust his stuff and attack these hitters; enough with the nibbling.

Absolute garbage.

Where is everyone who insisted this was a #1 starter and lost their sh*t on those of us who insisted he wasnít even a #2 when Cashman traded for him last year?
    I'm an idiot.

With the diminished velocity tonight, I have to wonder if the Yankees are going to look to see if anything physical is wrong with him now.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    sonny gray is ed whitson he is not fit mentally to pitch in ny...
    Itís not mental. The stuff that worked in Oakland and the stadiums of the AL West just doesnít work in Yankee Stadium, Fenway, etc. That was obvious last year as had been evident throughout his career, but too many fans were in denial. Clearly the FO was too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Itís not mental. The stuff that worked in Oakland and the stadiums of the AL West just doesnít work in Yankee Stadium, Fenway, etc. That was obvious last year as had been evident throughout his career, but too many fans were in denial. Clearly the FO was too.
    Was he not a ground ball pitcher in Oakland?

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    He was, but he also wasnít afraid to attack hitters in Oakland either.

Clearly, he doesnít trust his stuff playing in the smaller ballparks of the AL East. And thatís a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Heís never been effective in Yankee Stadium throughout his career. Same for Fenway and Camden Yards. In 16 career starts in those 3 ballparks, heís given up 58 ER in 82 innings, an ERA more than 6 runs per game.

Why is he not throwing his fast ball as much this year as he did in Oakland?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    With the diminished velocity tonight, I have to wonder if the Yankees are going to look to see if anything physical is wrong with him now.
    I was thinking the same thing. He may not have been an ďaceĒ after he came over from Oakland last year but he was not this bad. The diminished velocity is concerning. He was getting hit pretty hard last night.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. He may not have been an ďaceĒ after he came over from Oakland last year but he was not this bad. The diminished velocity is concerning. He was getting hit pretty hard last night.
    He was trying out new mechanics. He was probably just a little bit out of wack. I wouldn't worry about it too much

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Still here. I didn't call him an ace, but he has been a solid #2 throughout his career... until he got here. I am quickly losing my patience with him. His stuff is too good for him to be pitching this badly. He just has to trust his stuff and attack these hitters; enough with the nibbling.
    This is right where I am with it. Get your mind right, Sonny.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Anybody got stats on what types of pitches he's been throwing? Supposedly he threw a nasty curve when he was younger but it was getting him injured so I'm curious if he's completely given up on that.
    Let the kids play.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Anybody got stats on what types of pitches he's been throwing? Supposedly he threw a nasty curve when he was younger but it was getting him injured so I'm curious if he's completely given up on that.
    Here’s a breakdown of his stuff from this year.

And last year.

He’s throwing a cutter and his curve a lot more than he did last year.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Hereís a breakdown of his stuff from this year.

And last year.

Heís throwing a cutter and his curve a lot more than he did last year.
    Looks like they are trying to get him to throw his offspeed stuff more. Similar to what our other pitchers have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Looks like they are trying to get him to throw his offspeed stuff more. Similar to what our other pitchers have done.
    Doesn’t matter what he’s throwing - if he’s not throwing strikes and attacking hitters, he may as well be throwing an eephus pitch 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Hereís a breakdown of his stuff from this year.

And last year.

Heís throwing a cutter and his curve a lot more than he did last year.
    Must be that he's not controlling the cutter and curve well enough, of they're not biting like they should be, or a combination of both. I hope Rothschild can figure this out. I suppose Gray could be holding back a little because of injury concerns.
    Let the kids play.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

This is a breakdown of every year of his career.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Doesnít matter what heís throwing - if heís not throwing strikes and attacking hitters, he may as well be throwing an eephus pitch 99% of the time.
    Yeah no doubt.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    This is right where I am with it. Get your mind right, Sonny.
    They can try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y28pFJqDkkU

Throwing to Romine tonight so let's see if it's the catcher or simply the pitcher not getting the job done.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Throwing to Romine tonight so let's see if it's the catcher or simply the pitcher not getting the job done.
    Those aren't the only two options. The Twins are one of the worst offensive clubs in baseball. He'll pitch better tonight, but not necessarily because of Romine.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Those aren't the only two options. The Twins are one of the worst offensive clubs in baseball. He'll pitch better tonight, but not necessarily because of Romine.
    I know that, I'm just saying people are blaming Gary and I don't necessarily buy it's only Gary. Gray needs to pitch better, one way or another.

Thread Information