+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Re: 2018 Sonny Gray Performance Thread

Stopper.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Today, he threw almost exclusively 2-seamers and curves, his bread and butter pitches... he may be one of the few SPs who may not actually benefit from the anti-FB approach they’ve adopted (although he always tends to own the O’s, so this may just be an anamy)
    good post. I agree he had his curve working yesterday (71%, 3 were 73-76 mph nice I think) which he has to have. If he doesn't or home ump doesn't give him the corners he goes to FB and they just wait on it (tea time). That JD stepping out of the box 0-2 still bothers me 3 games ago. It was one game and I am happy for him. I actually wish he did have a cutter that he tried early.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Today, he threw almost exclusively 2-seamers and curves, his bread and butter pitches... he may be one of the few SPs who may not actually benefit from the anti-FB approach they’ve adopted (although he always tends to own the O’s, so this may just be an anamy)
    On the postgame, he was saying he was working on throwing the ball down more. As in, he's trying to get the ball to sink more than side to side movement.

All his could be complete BS, and he just pitched well because it's the Os.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Sounds a lot like AJ. Game to game they “found” something in his mechanics/delivery/release point etc. If he pitched well, they would attribute it to the latest “discovery.” Then he’d crap the bed the next start and it would start all over again.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Last night the game was called by Kenny & Flash. Of course, Michael Kay & others have called some of the starts by Sonny Gray.

I've noticed, maybe others have made mention of it before, but what is up with every announcer making mention of his full name during the course of conversation, "Sonny Gray."

Our other pitchers it's, 'CC' or 'Sabathia' or 'Severino' or 'German' or 'Tanaka,' etc, etc.

What gives? Any idea why it's always, "Sonny Gray" and not just "Sonny" or "Gray?"

BTW, awesome game by Sonny Gray. (There, I did it too!)
    I also wonder if the difficulty in giving him a nickname is part of the problem.

His first name already has the "e" sound at the end of it and Gray-e doesn't sound right.

Of course, they could just call him Pickles. Unfortunate, for most of his Yankee career, he has been Sour Pickles.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Last night the game was called by Kenny & Flash. Of course, Michael Kay & others have called some of the starts by Sonny Gray.

I've noticed, maybe others have made mention of it before, but what is up with every announcer making mention of his full name during the course of conversation, "Sonny Gray."

Our other pitchers it's, 'CC' or 'Sabathia' or 'Severino' or 'German' or 'Tanaka,' etc, etc.

What gives? Any idea why it's always, "Sonny Gray" and not just "Sonny" or "Gray?"

BTW, awesome game by Sonny Gray. (There, I did it too!)
    Because you can’t call him Gray-y.

Edit: GMTA. Of course, it’s easy enough to call him "Sonny."

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Sounds a lot like AJ. Game to game they “found” something in his mechanics/delivery/release point etc. If he pitched well, they would attribute it to the latest “discovery.” Then he’d crap the bed the next start and it would start all over again.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I'll believe it when he can string together at least a handful of good starts in a row.

NYYF Legend

I figured that must be the case. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this as well?

I've been searching my memory for any MLB player with a one-syllable last name to make a comparison. Surely there are some, but I can't recall any active players at the moment.
    Greg Bird

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Greg Bird
    Mel Ott
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Mel Ott
    Babe Ruth. Ty Cobb.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Greg Legg

Mel Hall. I feel dirty just typing his name.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quen

Ron Cey. Bob Walk. Moe Berg. Mel Queen. Dick Pole.

Heh. Heh. Heh,
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Greg Bird
    I always think of him as Gregbird.

NYYF Legend

What we need is a player with a two-syllable forename and a one-syllable last name, for a proper comparison with Sonny Gray. David Cone comes to mind (but he went by "Coney").

Devoted Member

Greg Bird

My bad yet again. I thought of him too late.

Thanks to everyone for the list of one-syllable ball players.

I was specifically thinking of active players so I can hear how the announcers call their names.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I always think of him as Gregbird.

That's basically how I hear it as well.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    What we need is a player with a two-syllable forename and a one-syllable last name, for a proper comparison with Sonny Gray. David Cone comes to mind (but he went by "Coney").
    My bad yet again. I thought of him too late.

Thanks to everyone for the list of one-syllable ball players.

I was specifically thinking of active players so I can hear how the announcers call their names.
    Mookie Betts
    David Price
    Mallex Smith (but not Denard Span, whose name doesn't scan correctly)
    Justin Smoak
    Aaron Loup
    Adam Jones
    Alex Cobb

That's just the AL East.
    - Barry Manilow

He has definitely made an adjustment with his pitching mechanics. Much slower with his delivery and is keeping the glove much closer to the body.

Hopefully, (Crosses fingers) he has figured something out.

He was good today but it sure would be nice if we didn't have a bunch of guys who seemingly lose their stuff around five innings.

NYYF Legend

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/07/yan...-ninth-175080/

Breaking down Sonny's last 2 starts, I thought this was interesting:

"...Interestingly enough, Gray went heavy on two-seamers and curveballs for the second straight start...Very few sliders and four-seamers last time out. In fact, he threw 37 two-seamers and 42 curveballs among his 90 pitches last start, or 87.8%. On Saturday, Gray threw 46 two-seamers and 32 curveballs among his 94 pitches, or 83.0%. In his first 17 starts of the season, Sonny threw two-seamers and curveballs only 48.1% of the time. Hmmm. Gray has pitched too poorly for too long for me to believe this is the magic cure. He needs to do it again and again before I buy in."

Gray was getting hammered on his four-seamers & changeups, so he's hardly throwing them now? Hey, if it works, that's good by me!

Of course these two starts were against relatively poor offenses, so there's that....
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

All this analytical pitch-selection data is probably useful to a pitcher who pitches aggressively. Sorry to go all get-off-my-lawn but no cocktail of "proper" pitch selection saves a nibbler who won't challenge hitters. JMO.

I wonder what Bob Gibson's pitch-selection data was. Oh that's right, I don't care.

Show you are willing to hit the strike zone fearlessly and then this data may actually be valuable.

NYYF Legend

Hey, I'm just rooting for this important Yankee to "figure it out" and contribute to the cause.
    I suppose I find any positive signs encouraging.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Hey, I'm just rooting for this important Yankee to "figure it out" and contribute to the cause.
    I suppose I find any positive signs encouraging.
    Sorry, wasn't trying to rip you. I think analytics are an essential advance in our understanding of the game, but you still gotta throw strikes.

his problem isn't really pitch selection it's nibbling and less ability to get chase on his stuff low and away. if hitters are going up there with the knowledge that you are not going to throw strikes, they are less prone to chasing.

analytics is just a tool to get and parse information for relevance. if the yankees are using analytics to justify a particular approach like no fastballs, it doesn't mean that is the analytics way of pitching. strategy is always dynamic and every player is different.

Thread Information