+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Weather Performance thread

Rain supposed to end between 7 and 8. So add another hour to get the field in shape. Smart thing would be to just postpone it. Rays come back two more times this season.

Based on the current forecast Iím giving serious consideration to not going tomorrow (live 2 1/2 hours away and canít hang around for the probable 8:15 first pitch). Would love to see a doubleheader scheduled for Wednesday and if the case would give serious consideration to coming up for both games. I can exchange the home opener ticket for $64.00 credit for another game so all is good.

Quote Originally Posted by nagledm View Post
    Based on the current forecast Iím giving serious consideration to not going tomorrow (live 2 1/2 hours away and canít hang around for the probable 8:15 first pitch). Would love to see a doubleheader scheduled for Wednesday and if the case would give serious consideration to coming up for both games. I can exchange the home opener ticket for $64.00 credit for another game so all is good.
    If Wednesday becomes a double header I assume you will need your opening day ticket to get in. I think it would be split admission, 1pm and 7pm. But, rain again is in the forecast, so who knows.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gullo317 View Post
    If Wednesday becomes a double header I assume you will need your opening day ticket to get in. I think it would be split admission, 1pm and 7pm. But, rain again is in the forecast, so who knows.
    Making Wednesday a doubleheader becomes tricky as the game is currently a 1 Pm start.

If there is a 1pm and a 7pm game on Wednesday do the Yankees honor the original Wed tickets for the 1pm game and the Monday tickets for the 7pm game. This would turn the game 2 tickets into opening day tickets. Or do they honor the Monday tickets for a 1pm game and the Wednesday tickets moved back to 7pm. This would inconvenience a lot of people.

I suspect they will try to get the game in tomorrow even if it means starting at 7 or 8pm

I fully expect there to be baseball tomorrow. May be a first pitch in front of 5,000 fans at 8:15 and end around midnight.

Another year, another rain/snow postponement, followed by more of those and a bunch of weather delays. I have to wonder how many more in attendance they could get if there was a retractable roof? I know I'd be going more.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Another year, another rain/snow postponement, followed by more of those and a bunch of weather delays. I have to wonder how many more in attendance they could get if there was a retractable roof? I know I'd be going more.
    Itís too bad that construction costs are so high in NYC that wouldíve added several hundred millions for a retractable roof to the final construction totals.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Legend

If rained out tomorrow it will still be just one game on Wedensday. Rays come back two more times.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Tomorrow's forecast is why they will keep us there all day today and try to get the game in. If not for that this game would have been called off yesterday.
    Just saw why they didnt do as you indicated (otherwise you probably would have been right). Tonight is per plate welcome home dinner so delaying it today wasnít an option.
    you are your own happiness

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Just saw why they didnt do as you indicated (otherwise you probably would have been right). Tonight is per plate welcome home dinner so delaying it today wasnít an option.
    I actually thought of that after this original post and posted that.

Life is good

I actually thought of that after this original post and posted that.
    Didnít see through the many posts. But at least we know why
    you are your own happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It’s too bad that construction costs are so high in NYC that would’ve added several hundred millions for a retractable roof to the final construction totals.
    It's not their money so it's easy for Yankee fans to complain about not having a retractable roof, but once you dig into some cost analysis then you see why it didn't happen as Yankee Stadium by far is the most expensive baseball stadium at 1.6B, the next most expensive stadium is Citifield at 632M. Marlins Park with its retractable roof only cost 515M to build in Miami. The Yankees aren't in Florida or Texas for that matter. Jerry Jones with a retractable roof built his stadium about 500M less than 54,000 capacity Yankee Stadium.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/currentcost.htm

Read the following excerpt about construction costs in the NYC Metro area.

The coastal effect. MetLife Stadium was built on available land and doesn't have a roof. "Yeah, but that's the East Coast," Mehls interjects. "It's a whole different world than the rest of the country." How much of a different world? "It's the most expensive place to build," Dethlefs says. "When you add New York into the equation, it skews the numbers by 30 or 40 percent. Los Angeles is the same, and then you add all the seismic requirements. On the coasts and in the Big Three cities in particular, you're definitely going to pay more per square foot."

"In New York, we used to double the price," McLaughlin adds. "Now it's triple the price - and the San Francisco area is similar."
    https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...-billions.html

I'm sure the Yankees wanted a retractable roof and the same with the Jets and Giants at Met/Life in Jersey, but cost reality set in and frankly as a retired manufacturing manager, I can't really blame them for not spending at least another half billion dollars for such a roof.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/n...4stadiums.html

I'll be surprise if today's game starts at 4:00 p.m. They should be able to get the game in, but with the hourly forecast it's going to be a delay start.

I fully expect the game to start on time today. Why? I decided not to risk it by driving 2 1/2 hours each way with the current weather forecast.

Rain forecasted today - what has the history been, do Yankees wait for a 3 hour clearing window so they don't have the starters warm up and pitch 1-2 innings and then delay the game and burn the starters?

NYYF Legend

Forecast now shows rain until 10PM. Just insane not to call this game. Remember the rain really has to stop entirely before they will remove the tarp.

Forecast now shows rain until 10PM. Just insane not to call this game. Remember the rain really has to stop entirely before they will remove the tarp.
    I’ve been to Opening Days where they played the whole game in the rain and I was at the 96 Opener where it snowed the entire game.

The key will be whether it is raining around 3:30 or so. If it is dry at first pitch I'd expect them to play through the rain. Could see this issue coming a mile away today when they announced their plans yesterday morning. Personally I'm hoping for the doubleheader tomorrow (split admission or single gate).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nagledm View Post
    The key will be whether it is raining around 3:30 or so. If it is dry at first pitch I'd expect them to play through the rain. Could see this issue coming a mile away today when they announced their plans yesterday morning. Personally I'm hoping for the doubleheader tomorrow (split admission or single gate).
    I agree they would play through light rain if it is dry at game time. But if the tarp is on the field and it starts raining they won't remove it until the rain stops. Doubt you would get a DH tomorrow. Rays come back two more times. Also there is rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Not enough to postpone one game but playing two could cause problems.

NYYF Legend

On a side note. Since MLB had the Yankees scheduled to play the Rays this week why are the games here? Playing the Rays the first week of the season would have made a lot more sense if the games were played at Tampa Bay.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

On a side note. Since MLB had the Yankees scheduled to play the Rays this week why are the games here? Playing the Rays the first week of the season would have made a lot more sense if the games were played at Tampa Bay.
    Presumably, MLB wants to get all teams a home opener by XXXX date, but I agree with you - not only could these games have been in Tampa, but other games made no sense either. Detroit, for example, should not have a game before mid-April.

Instead, you got Oakland hosting the Angels, the Giants and the Dodgers playing each other, et cetera.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Presumably, MLB wants to get all teams a home opener by XXXX date, but I agree with you - not only could these games have been in Tampa, but other games made no sense either. Detroit, for example, should not have a game before mid-April.

Instead, you got Oakland hosting the Angels, the Giants and the Dodgers playing each other, et cetera.
    Red Sox opened the season playing at TB and Miami. Two dome teams.

Devoted Member

I think they will wait as long as possible to get today's game in. Maybe as late as a 7:00 pm start. People bought tickets wanting to see "Opening Day."

But what do you think they will do ticket-wise if they cannot play today, since there is a regular game scheduled for tomorrow?

I know this has happened with other teams. Those teams made the Opening Day tickets good for (in this case) the Wednesday game and re-scheduled the Wednesday game.

Either way, I am happy to be sitting home today. It is really cold and raw outside.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    I think they will wait as long as possible to get today's game in. Maybe as late as a 7:00 pm start. People bought tickets wanting to see "Opening Day."

But what do you think they will do ticket-wise if they cannot play today, since there is a regular game scheduled for tomorrow? And given today's weather how many people will actually be here today?

I know this has happened with other teams. Those teams made the Opening Day tickets good for (in this case) the Wednesday game and re-scheduled the Wednesday game.

Either way, I am happy to be sitting home today. It is really cold and raw outside.
    I believe the Yankees did it that way a passed time when this situation came up. Really no sane reason to play today. And given the weather today how many people will actually be here today?

Thread Information