+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2018 Tyler Austin Performance Thread

It kinda got lost in the injuries and blown game by the bullpen, but those were two absolute bombs by Austin today. He became only the 7th player in the statcast era to hit 2 HRs of 112+ mph in one game. I'm glad to see him carry his strong ST performance into the regular season. He should get the chance to play almost every day.

Re: 2018 Tyler Austin Performance Thread

Today was the first time I've heard Sterling's Tyler Austin home run call. "Austin powers one"

I'm giving this one to John. That's clever.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Today was the first time I've heard Sterling's Tyler Austin home run call. "Austin powers one"

I'm giving this one to John. That's clever.
    Except he already used it for the other Austin ... Romine.

Today, he could have used "Tyler ties it." Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Except he already used it for the other Austin ... Romine.

Today, he could have used "Tyler ties it." Twice.
    Really? That sucks. I actually like it. And I rarely like anything he ever says.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Addicted Member

When we talk about "sweet swings" it's normally lefties we are referring to but Austin has one of the sweetest swings I've seen in a long time.

Bird who?

Suspended

I'm intrigued. What's this guy going to become for us IF he can stay healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm intrigued. What's this guy going to become for us IF he can stay healthy?
    If Bird can't stay healthy, he could stick at 1B.

Otherwise, maybe he's trade bait for the starting pitcher that wins us the World Series?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    If Bird can't stay healthy, he could stick at 1B.

Otherwise, maybe he's trade bait for the starting pitcher that wins us the World Series?
    Perhaps his greatest value to the organization in the long run. A package that headlines Clint Frazier and Chance Adams. Add a productive Austin in and it may be an offer too good to refuse.

I just wonder who that pitcher may be? Cole Hamels could be acquired for less overall talent. He'll only cost the Yanks about $12M in July.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I just wonder who that pitcher may be? Cole Hamels could be acquired for less overall talent. He'll only cost the Yanks about $12M in July.
    Johnny Cueto might be an option if he keeps pitching like peak Cueto for a few months, but maybe the remainder of his deal is more than Cashman wants.

Hamels and Cueto

Maybe 2-3 years ago

If we're giving up a big package, it's Bumgarner or bust for me. Or at least a slight tier below. Both Ceuto and Hamels are on the decline

NYYF Legend

Aha, so the mystery is solved as to why Tyler is "#pikachu" in Sir Didi's postgame tweets:

NYYF Legend

Guy is quietly raking to the tune of 164 wRC+

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    if he keeps hitting, he can carve out a permanent spot for himself on this roster as Bird's RHH and injury backup and as a pinchhitter for Gardner and whoever's playing 2B
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

His defense, even at first, is pretty bad. I am still waiting for a good scoop of a bounced throw, for instance. He should have had more than one error last night, and he does not have very good lateral movement.

If Bird hits left handed pitching, as well as right, when he comes back, as we all should hope, there are not going to be a lot of at bats for him. For whom would he pinch hit? The only three lefty regulars will be Didi, Brett, and Bird. Wade probably will be sent down when Torres comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    His defense, even at first, is pretty bad. I am still waiting for a good scoop of a bounced throw, for instance. He should have had more than one error last night, and he does not have very good lateral movement.

If Bird hits left handed pitching, as well as right, when he comes back, as we all should hope, there are not going to be a lot of at bats for him. For whom would he pinch hit? The only three lefty regulars will be Didi, Brett, and Bird. Wade probably will be sent down when Torres comes up.
    if Austin's defense is consistently not good (likely though not certain), and Bird is actually consistently healthy (I don't have any reason to believe this will be the case), I think you're probably right. Two big ifs though
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    small sample but he can continue be around a .250/.350/.500 guy that's pretty much Mark Teixiera as a Yankee. Minus the gold glove defense
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Given his defensive limitations, Austin probably has to hit against good RHed pitching as well as left handed pitching to have a future on an AL club that is trying to win the WS these days. Those clubs want defensive flexibility that a first base platoon really limits. Austin might do better on a NL club where he could do some pinch hitting.

I will be very surprised if he makes the case to be on the team next year after being out of options. Even if Bird crashes after coming back, they will not go with Austin as a platoon player. Again, he needs to put up numbers against all kinds of pitching.

Suspended

Given his defensive limitations, Austin probably has to hit against good RHed pitching as well as left handed pitching to have a future on an AL club that is trying to win the WS these days. Those clubs want defensive flexibility that a first base platoon really limits. Austin might do better on a NL club where he could do some pinch hitting.

I will be very surprised if he makes the case to be on the team next year after being out of options. Even if Bird crashes after coming back, they will not go with Austin as a platoon player. Again, he needs to put up numbers against all kinds of pitching.
    He has been.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    He has been.
    Granted, it's a small sample size, but these numbers surprise me

As RHB vs RHP .240/.321/.560/.881
    As RHB vs LHP .294/.400/.412/.812
    vs LH Starter .200/.333/.300/.633
    vs RH Starter .318/.375/.682/1.057

The vs Starter numbers are for the entire game when he started, regardless of the hand of the pitcher when the PA took place.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

He always seems to put up a professional at bat, and has no problems taking walks.

NYYF Legend

He will still have options in 2019 if it is never used this year.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Well, he seems like a good kid and he is a Yankee, so I certainly hope the SSS against RHed pitching this year reflects his development into a more complete hitter. I still wonder where he will get many at bats, especially against RHers if Bird is both healthy and hitting, however.

NYYF Cy Young

Well, he seems like a good kid and he is a Yankee, so I certainly hope the SSS against RHed pitching this year reflects his development into a more complete hitter. I still wonder where he will get many at bats, especially against RHers if Bird is both healthy and hitting, however.
    You got your answer: Adam Lind

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits...DH&season=2017

NYYF Legend

Something that has always vexed me about Austin:

How do you beat cancer as a teenager, but continue to use one of the most noxious everyday carcinogens possible by dipping/chewing?

Unless he's just got a mash of seeds in his lip for familiarity/comfort?
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Not sure what you mean, bucky? The signing of Lind to a minor league contract expresses the Yankees' low view of Mike Ford's potential. Beyond that, I am not sure what you are inferring from it.

Thread Information