+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Re: 2018 Dellin Betances Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    I am cautiously optimistic that Betances has turned a corner and figured it out.

Optimistic because he looks like a different pitcher out there. His approach and demeanor while dominanting seem night and day to last year, and his peripherals are elite to back it up.

Cautious because we've actually seen this before. A lot of people forget that he had a similar stretch during the first part of last season where he was equally dominant before he fell apart.

https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.asp...15&dStatArray=
    Dellin has always maintained itís better if he pitched often - that its easier to maintain his mechanics. Big guys usually have trouble nailing down their mechanics and need plenty of repetition to lock in their control.

Dellin fell off the cliff (IMO) after the long stretch where girardi barely played dellin. He then got off track mechanics wise and he just couldnt recover. This year, aaron is burning up the bullpen which i think is actually helpful to dellin. Dellin needs to pitch often.
    https://gfycat.com/ComplexObedientArgusfish

Nasty performance tonight, wow...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Nasty performance tonight, wow...
    Yes........ if he can maintain this........................
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Yes........ if he can maintain this........................
    No reason he can't. He's a proven elite reliever.

NYYF Legend

Like his stats this year, his stuff is just freakish to watch. He just overpowers hitters, but with breaking stuff. It's baseball dominance eye candy.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Like his stats this year, his stuff is just freakish to watch. He just overpowers hitters, but with breaking stuff. It's baseball dominance eye candy.
    But he has his confidence in his fastball back, which sets up the breaking balls beautifully. When he abandons his fastball and falls in love with the breaking ball, that's when he gets in trouble. But when he's playing one off the other, the hitters have no chance.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Since his April 13 meltdown outing (0.2IP, 5H, 3ER, 1HR), he's given up only 5ER, 10H and 9BB and 46 K runs in 25.1IP.

Since April 13: That works out to: [drumroll]
    1.77 ERA
    3.6 H/9IP
    3.19 BB/9IP
    16.3 K/9IP
    0.754 WHIP
    0.116 BAA
    0.216 OBP
    0.151 SLG

66% strikes
    14% swinging swrikes

And 3 of those 5 ER came on one day, May 9.

Since May 9: 18IP; 3H; 2ER; 7BB; 31K
    That works out to: [drumroll]
    1.00 ERA
    1.5 H/9IP
    3.5 BB/9IP
    15.5 K/9IP
    0.555 WHIP
    0.053 BAA
    0.182 OBP
    .105 SLG

66% strikes
    16% swinging strikes

Crazy dominant since mid April. He just sucked in early April. He's given up 11ER in 2017. He gave up more than half (6ER) in his first 6 outings (April 13). Basically, he's been near unhittable. Outside of his first 2 week funk, he's been as good or better than Chapman.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

It's been an amazing turnaround. I was really down on Betances because it seemed like much more than some bad pitching. It seemed like a total mental breakdown, a loss of confidence so complete that he couldn't be trusted to pitch, hold baserunners, field his position, or throw to bases -- it seemed like it had all become too much for him and I was struggling to imagine how he was going to get himself out of it.

Even with as dominant as he's been of late, I worry that all it takes is one baserunner for an inning to completely unravel on him. But I'm more hopeful and optimistic about him than I've been in a long time.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Since his April 13 meltdown outing (0.2IP, 5H, 3ER, 1HR), he's given up only 5ER, 10H and 9BB and 46 K runs in 25.1IP.

Since April 13: That works out to: [drumroll]
    1.77 ERA
    3.6 H/9IP
    3.19 BB/9IP
    16.3 K/9IP
    0.754 WHIP
    0.116 BAA
    0.216 OBP
    0.151 SLG

66% strikes
    14% swinging swrikes

And 3 of those 5 ER came on one day, May 9.

1.00 ERA
    1.5 H/9IP
    3.5 BB/9IP
    15.5 K/9IP
    0.555 WHIP
    0.053 BAA
    0.182 OBP
    .105 SLG

66% strikes
    16% swinging strikes

Crazy dominant since mid April. He just sucked in early April. He's given up 11ER in 2017. He gave up more than half (6ER) in his first 6 outings (April 13). Basically, he's been near unhittable. Outside of his first 2 week funk, he's been as good or better than Chapman.
    Good post. Very interesting to see how completely dominant he has been for 2 months now.

Probably too late to garner his 5th All Star selection, but truth be told, he is as deserving as any relief pitcher who will be chosen

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post

1.00 ERA
    1.5 H/9IP
    3.5 BB/9IP
    15.5 K/9IP
    0.555 WHIP
    0.053 BAA
    0.182 OBP
    .105 SLG
    That's a .287 OPS.

A .287 OBP is poor.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    That's a .287 OPS.

A .287 OBP is poor.
    What's the average OPS for pitchers? It's probably higher than .287. Dellin is turning these hitters into pitchers hitting. That's unfathomable.

This guy needs more love. Dude has been amazing for us this year. I suppose this thread will only get activity if he has a bad outing.

NYYF Legend

Has transformed the pen.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    What's the average OPS for pitchers? It's probably higher than .287. Dellin is turning these hitters into pitchers hitting. That's unfathomable.
    Right you are. .291.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    MLB average OPS is .725 - kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it!

NYYF Legend

Impressed that he caught full-blown "Ankiel disease" last year and got over it. That doesn't happen very often.

Steve Blass never made it back. Mark Wohlers (for the most part) never made it back. Kevin Saucier never made it back. And of course Ankiel never did, had to become an outfielder.

Betances made it back.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Impressed that he caught full-blown "Ankiel disease" last year and got over it. That doesn't happen very often.

Steve Blass never made it back. Mark Wohlers (for the most part) never made it back. Kevin Saucier never made it back. And of course Ankiel never did, had to become an outfielder.

Betances made it back.
    I had a feeling he'd bounce back. Last year was a clear anomaly for Betances. Plus, the main issue was mostly the walks.

I had a feeling he'd bounce back. Last year was a clear anomaly for Betances. Plus, the main issue was mostly the walks.
    Right, he went through a couple of rough patches last season, but also an all-star in 2017, so he had his excellent moments too.

Dellin is one big dude and he isn't very athletic which is why his pitching mechanics got out of whack last season.
    To all, life is too short, enjoy the baseball season even those that hate me.

NYYF Legend

Paging Captain Obvious? That was the main issue with every guy I listed.

1973 was also a "clear anomaly" for Blass, an established #2-type pitcher who had been a World Series hero in 1971 and followed up with 19 wins and a 135 ERA+ in 1972. In 1972, he walked 84 men in 249 innings. In 1973, he walked the same 84 men in .... wait for it ... 88 innings. Also led the league in HBP with 12 ... in 84 innings. Good for a 9.85 ERA. He just lost it. And he never got it back.

The fact that Dellin is long-boned I would think would mitigate AGAINST him recapturing form, not FOR it.

Again I just think it's impressive he beat that "disease."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Betances made it back.
    The dream may not be over for Rick Ankiel...

https://www.mlb.com/news/rick-ankiel...ck/c-289166690
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The dream may not be over for Rick Ankiel...

https://www.mlb.com/news/rick-ankiel...ck/c-289166690
    I was listening to a Scott Boras interview on MLB Radio yesterday when this comeback was brought up - Boras called him the most athletic high school athlete in his day and has no question in his mind that Ankiel could make a comeback if he makes the attempt.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I was listening to a Scott Boras interview on MLB Radio yesterday when this comeback was brought up - Boras called him the most athletic high school athlete in his day and has no question in his mind that Ankiel could make a comeback if he makes the attempt.
    Well, it's been 21 years since Ankiel was in high school. Iím not sure thatís relevant anymore.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, it's been 21 years since Ankiel was in high school. Iím not sure thatís relevant anymore.
    I think his point was his athletic ability now gives him the belief he could comeback if he wants to.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information