+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 590 FirstFirst ... 177 227 267 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 287 327 377 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 14738
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    That shouldn't be a factor. The only factor is whether or not he is ready and is the best option. Since this is a 4-5 start assignment and not a spot start they must truly believe that Lasagna is the better pitcher. I think it's a rush job and would hate to think 40 man roster status is the only reason why he was chosen to leap frog over Sheffield. He is 2 years older than Sheffield.
    40 man roster status is definitely a factor. You add Sheffield now, and he has to stay in that spot all year, giving you one less spot for adding major leaguers through trades or adding other prospects to the 40. Yet another consideration - Sheffield can be worth more to other teams as a trade target when he's off the 40 man, as they don't need to clear a spot to acquire him (I'm actually not 100% sure of this but I believe its the case). All else equal, you don't add prospects to the 40 early.

"The better pitcher" is also an oversimplification. Loisaiga may just be more ready now, and it doesn't have to be some indictment of how the Yankees feel about Sheffield.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    We have room to add someone.
    Once you add someone to the 40 man he has to stay there. So if AA guy has to be sent down it's not a problem.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Once you add someone to the 40 man he has to stay there. So if AA guy has to be sent down it's not a problem.
    How does a AA guy start without being on the 40 man?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

David Waldstein

Verified account

@DavidWaldstein
    Follow Follow @DavidWaldstein
    More
    Hal Steinbrenner spoke to a small group of reporters. He said the team has the payroll flexibility to add a pitcher, but the cost in prospects could prove the bigger hurdle. He said that, like the fans, he loves the young guys.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He was already on the 40 man roster. I am not sure exactly how it works.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Being on the 40 man doesn't have anything to do with the level. You can be in short season A ball and be on the 40 man (this used to happen with certain amateurs that would get pro contracts on being drafted, like Andrew Brackman).

Loaisiga was on the 40 man already to protect him from the Rule V draft last year. Sheffield will be there at the end of this year, I believe, so they'll add him at any point after the trade deadline and before the Rule V draft (unless he goes insane and is clearly ready to dominate in MLB, then they'll do it earlier).

NYYF Legend

I thought the rule V draft was the reason the AA guy was already on the 40 man roster.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I thought the rule V draft was the reason the AA guy was already on the 40 man roster.
    Yes, thats what I just said. A vs AA vs AAA doesn't matter for either the 40 man or the Rule V.

He added to the 40 man to protect him from the Rule V draft when he was in A ball, and just happens to be in AA now.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Tonight's lineup against the righty Fedde:

1. Gardner - LF
    2. Judge - RF
    3. Gregorius - SS
    4. Stanton - DH
    5. Hicks - CF
    6. Andujar - 3B
    7. Bird - 1B
    8. Romine - C
    9. Torres - 2B
    No reason for Torres to be batting lower than Romine but otherwise this is good. So is Sanchez officially nursing an injury?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    David Waldstein

Verified account

@DavidWaldstein
    Follow Follow @DavidWaldstein
    More
    Hal Steinbrenner spoke to a small group of reporters. He said the team has the payroll flexibility to add a pitcher, but the cost in prospects could prove the bigger hurdle. He said that, like the fans, he loves the young guys.
    Any trade for a pitcher is going to hurt as teams will try their best to win any trade with the Yankees by getting them to overpay for that pitcher. I’m not down with that outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Any trade for a pitcher is going to hurt as teams will try their best to win any trade with the Yankees by getting them to overpay for that pitcher. I’m not down with that outcome.
    The good news, under that scenario, is that waiting out the market has always been one of Cashman’s greatest strengths.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Altuve’s peak is now. They’re going to pay him $151m for 5 years after he turns 30. Even considering how he signed a below market extension, the Astros are still going to have to likely pay $29m per year for a slap hitter towards the end of that deal.

Anyway, those two years you cited re: Harper’s OPS were 1.109 and 1.008. His career OPS is .900, he bats left handed and he’s 25 years of age. His best years are ahead of him, and already has one of the all time best seasons under his belt.
    That's not entirely true with Altuve. They are paying him 21 million in bonus money between this season and next. It is essentially a 7 year deal for 163.5 with an average annual salary of 23.4 million. The Astros locked up the reigning MVP and hit leader for the same annual salary as Jason Heyward and only a million more per season than Tanaka and Elsbury.......

I'm not saying Harper is a bad player. I just don't think he is worth the 350 or 400 million that has been rumored to be the price for him.

@DPLennon
    Follow Follow @DPLennon

Hal Steinbrenner said he spoke with Delta about #Yankees recent charter problems and is satisfied with their response. “Well, obviously it’s not ideal, and I was not happy about it,” he said. “Having said that, I'm a pilot, so I know how complex these machines are.” #yankees

Calls a tool a tool

We have 32 of the remaining 100+ games against clubs with winning records. We play 19 of those between now and July 15 (3 Atl, 3Phi, 3 Was, 3 Sea, 4 cle, 3 Bos). Between July 15 and Aug 31 we have a 4 game set at Fenway and thats it--amazing. Then last nine in September -- 6 vs Bos and 3 vs Sea--not bad.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

@DPLennon
    Follow Follow @DPLennon

Hal Steinbrenner said he spoke with Delta about #Yankees recent charter problems and is satisfied with their response. “Well, obviously it’s not ideal, and I was not happy about it,” he said. “Having said that, I'm a pilot, so I know how complex these machines are.” #yankees
    grrrrrrooooaaaaannn
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

@GeorgeAKingIII

More
    Masahiro Tanaka was sent home due to illness on Wednesday. GM Brian Cashman said it was normal protocol.

Bryan Hoch

Verified account

@BryanHoch
    Following Following @BryanHoch
    More
    Sonny Gray as a Yankee:

Bronx, N.Y.: 15 HR, 59 1/3 IP
    Elsewhere: 4 HR, 71 2/3 IP

Conor Foley

@RailRidersTT
    Following Following @RailRidersTT
    More
    Tommy Kahnle just hit 98 on back-to-back pitches to Chris Carter.

NYYF Legend

Including the suspended game, the Yankees and Nationals are tied in two games at once.

Great to see about Kahnle.

We might not need another BP arm if he returns to form.

Save the chips for a SP.

Conor Foley

@RailRidersTT
    Following Following @RailRidersTT
    More
    Tommy Kahnle just hit 98 on back-to-back pitches to Chris Carter.
    Please cut Shreve and bring him back.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Please cut Shreve and bring him back.
    Or Cole who never pitches.

16 for 101 with runners in scoring position. Approach with runners in scoring position leaves alot to be desired. Biggest disappointment for me tonight was Romine's AB with Bird on second and nobody out in the seventh. Pulls a ground ball to SS with no advance, poor approach terrible fundamental baseball.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    16 for 101 with runners in scoring position. Approach with runners in scoring position leaves alot to be desired. Biggest disappointment for me tonight was Romine's AB with Bird on second and nobody out in the seventh. Pulls a ground ball to SS with no advance, poor approach terrible fundamental baseball.
    Didi getting caught stealing to end the inning, eliminating the need for a tired SP to face Stanton was actually the dumbest thing I’ve seen in weeks.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Didi getting caught stealing to end the inning, eliminating the need for a tired SP to face Stanton was actually the dumbest thing I’ve seen in weeks.
    Base running is not this team's strength. That's was a pretty stupid play on Didi's part who is known for his speed.

Thread Information