+ Reply to Thread
Page 590 of 590 FirstFirst ... 90 490 540 580 587 588 589 590
Results 14,726 to 14,738 of 14738

Re: 2018 Regular Season Thread

Have they announced the roster for Wednesday yet?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Have they announced the roster for Wednesday yet?
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8593313

Thank you. Going with 3 catchers, that's interesting.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

The three catchers must mean they plan to take out Sanchez if they get the lead in later innings. They need insurance in case Romine then gets injured.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The three catchers must mean they plan to take out Sanchez if they get the lead in later innings. They need insurance in case Romine then gets injured.
    Yeah, and they also give themselves the chance to use a pinch hitter for Romine if he comes in for defense.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    In looking back, the following was all true

-Aaron Judge would get injured during the season, miss almost 2 months, and as a result not hit 30 homers, and drive in less than 70 runs.
    -Sonny Gray would pitch so horrendously that he would lose his spot in the starting rotation.

-Gary Sanchez would miss nearly 8 weeks with two separate groin injuries, bat under .200, hit under 20 homers, and despite playing far fewer games than most other catchers on the list, lead the majors in passed balls.
    -Greg Bird would become an afterthought, would hit so badly that he'd lose his job to some Cardinals castoff minor leaguer named Luke Voit and be in jeopardy of not making the postseason roster nor being with the team next year.
    -Didi Gregorious, Gleyber Torres and Aaron Hicks would all spend time on the DL for various ailments costing them all at least a few weeks.

-Luis Severino, after being the best hurler in the AL until the all star break, would barely be serviceable for almost the entire second half.

-Aroldis Chapman, in the midst of one of his best years, would finally succumb to knee tendonitis and miss most of the second half of the season.

-Brett Gardner would have his worst season, by far
    -Our third baseman would be talked about for being the worst defender at his position in the big leagues, and only get the job after the season opening third baseman experienced scary migraines that essentially robbed him of just about the season.

I may have missed some things, but if on opening day I told you that all of the above would be true, we'd sit here depressed about watching a probable .500 (or worse) team miss the playoffs after a rousing 2017..

If I told you though, that despite all that, we'd win 100 games, not a soul on this planet would believe me.. I could have retired a millionaire today if I had taken all the bets I could have gotten with that one..

That is not to say things are perfect, or that they could not have been better. But all in all, the playoffs not having started yet, this was a very successful regular season and I for one, wish to congratulate our boys on giving us a great, no a spectacular season, before the emotions of the playoffs take hold and we as fans lose our perspective..

Thank you to the NY Yankees.. for giving us something to be proud of..
    Excellent post. Well done.

Looking back, it is quite amazing that they did manage to win 100 this year. Yes, it will be a disappointment to lose the WC, and that would put a major damper on the season, but the final accomplishments of the regular season were excellent, with all the negatives you listed above.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, and they also give themselves the chance to use a pinch hitter for Romine if he comes in for defense.
    There's more:

The plan might also include using Hechavarria for defensive purposes at 3B, and have Walker available to PH if need be.

Wade is the pinch runner for a Sanchez in a key, late situation.

Gardner is the lefty bat instead of Bird.

The pitching staff makes sense. The hope is not to have to use Happ or Tanaka, and if they do, it's for an inning or so. Should be Happ's throw day .

Lynn is the extra inning guy if we are in a situation like the NL WC game was in. Would rather him for multiple innings over Gray or CC.

I see Green first one out of the pen tonight in a close situation if it's still early. Holder/Robertson to follow, in whatever order. Dellin, Chapman and Britton get the 7th thru the 9th.

I like the squad they chose. This should be the final wake-up call to Bird that he better come to ST next year in shape, and perform, or his Yankees career is over, regardless of what Voit does next year.

NYYF Legend

There is no way Lynn is the extra innings guy ahead of Tanaka or Happ, if he is I will hop on the fire Boone Bandwagon.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

They'd have no catcher on the bench though. Would Boone take that chance?
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    There is no way Lynn is the extra innings guy ahead of Tanaka or Happ, if he is I will hop on the fire Boone Bandwagon.
    I do not see Happ in this game unless it goes 16 innings.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I do not see Happ in this game unless it goes 16 innings.
    The Cubs used Hammels and Hendricks in relief last night in extras.

That's the kind of scenario where you might see Happ or Tanaka.

But say the game is 7-6 in the 9th and the Yanks blow a save and had burned though thier relieves to get through the 5th through 9h and you have Lynn/Happ/Tanaka available for the 10th in a 7-7 game. I know for sure Lynn isn't my choice in that situation.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    There's more:

The plan might also include using Hechavarria for defensive purposes at 3B, and have Walker available to PH if need be.

Wade is the pinch runner for a Sanchez in a key, late situation.

Gardner is the lefty bat instead of Bird.

The pitching staff makes sense. The hope is not to have to use Happ or Tanaka, and if they do, it's for an inning or so. Should be Happ's throw day .

Lynn is the extra inning guy if we are in a situation like the NL WC game was in. Would rather him for multiple innings over Gray or CC.

I see Green first one out of the pen tonight in a close situation if it's still early. Holder/Robertson to follow, in whatever order. Dellin, Chapman and Britton get the 7th thru the 9th.

I like the squad they chose. This should be the final wake-up call to Bird that he better come to ST next year in shape, and perform, or his Yankees career is over, regardless of what Voit does next year.
    You're aware of why Bird wasn't playing the first part of the season right?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    You're aware of why Bird wasn't playing the first part of the season right?
    Of course. My point is that he had 300+ PAs after he returned, and was unable to produce. And it is very disconcerting that he was constantly beaten by fastballs, which in the past he would have turned around and drilled into the seats. Why he was unable to catch up to heat was a question that still has not been answered.

When I said come o camp in shape, I mean that the ankle issues are history now. The problem has finally been diagnosed and corrected, although it took a very long time for the Yankee Doctors to figure it out. Next St, no more excuses. Produce, or be prepared to be sent to another team.

Thread Information